Ableton Push support is here

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Push

moss wrote:Works fine here. Are you sure you have assigned a Macro? If you did not assign anything you will see nothing.

Uh, also make sure you used the correct button: Macros is in Fixed->Macro not the "Macros" button which shows/hides the macros on the computer screen.
Yes I have assigned a Macro; if turning the Macro knobs manually on the screen I can hear the correct instrument and filter parameters being adjusted inside the Container.

Oops, I got it working now! Seems I had forgotten that when having loaded a patch you must manually reach over to the screen/mouse and make sure the Primary Device is selected, only that one. Sometimes all contained devices are selected after having loaded something from the library.

Phiew, nice to have it working. BWS is really awesome with the Push! I'm glad it wasn't something gone fishy with the P4B script due to me having currently upgraded the Push's firmware.
Greetings from Sweden
Per Boysen
http://www.perboysen.com
Dell i7Q 3,4 MHz 32 GB RAM. Acer ZenBook Flip. Ableton Push#1, Fractal Audio AxeFx2. EWI, Cello, Chapman Stick, Guitars, Alto Flute, Tenor Sax.

Edit: Was pretty straight forward process so far.

Since Push1 will be with me for some longer, I’d like to get back to my little „adventure“ from earlier this year: Creating a more BWSlike color theme.
Not to waste work, I’d like to go the „official“ Github route.
Sooo … as I don’t have any experience there, any hints, dos and donts I would much appreciate.

So far:
- Have account! :party:
- Have desktop client! :hug:
- Forking Push4Bitwig, is basically the copy I work on, that can be updated with the changes made to the original?
- What happens when there changes to files I was also working on?
- Can I just use the Bitwig script folder as my local copy? Bad idea?
- If I f**k anything up, I just replace from my last version online?
- Syncing is handled by the desktop client. Anything I need to know about this?

Thanks for any advice, tips, good practice ...

I'll go through https://guides.github.com
(But honestly I'd prefer not become a Githubmaster, as this will be the only thing I ever do there. :scared: )

Last time I used the suggested Komodo, which seemed fine for me.
Last edited by svervs on Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

moss wrote: * New program change view: Press "Note" -> "PrgChang"; Pads send program change; Scene buttons switch banks; Pressing scene button twice toggles 0-63 and 64-127.
Thank you, Jürgen! This is very handy for us that use outboard sound modules. I can scroll through one bank's presets, on my Oberheim Matrix-1000, but the Push4BW scenes buttons do not affect the Oberheim regarding bank switching. I know from using other software that this synth indeed switches bank when receiving a MIDI bank number message... so there seems to be some some kind of issue here?
Greetings from Sweden
Per Boysen
Dell i7Q 3,4 MHz 32 GB RAM. Acer ZenBook Flip. Ableton Push#1, Fractal Audio AxeFx2. EWI, Cello, Chapman Stick, Guitars, Alto Flute, Tenor Sax.

pboy wrote:
moss wrote: * New program change view: Press "Note" -> "PrgChang"; Pads send program change; Scene buttons switch banks; Pressing scene button twice toggles 0-63 and 64-127.
Thank you, Jürgen! This is very handy for us that use outboard sound modules. I can scroll through one bank's presets, on my Oberheim Matrix-1000, but the Push4BW scenes buttons do not affect the Oberheim regarding bank switching. I know from using other software that this synth indeed switches bank when receiving a MIDI bank number message... so there seems to be some some kind of issue here?
It depends on your device. The Scene buttons only send Bank 0-7. E.g. my Roland XV-5080 expects something weird as 87.

moss wrote:It depends on your device. The Scene buttons only send Bank 0-7. E.g. my Roland XV-5080 expects something weird as 87.
Ok, I see. Good to know. My Oberheim Matrix-1000 doesn't recognize any of the current Bank events.
Greetings from Sweden
Per Boysen

svervs wrote:Edit: Was pretty straight forward process so far.

Since Push1 will be with me for some longer, I’d like to get back to my little „adventure“ from earlier this year: Creating a more BWSlike color theme.
Not to waste work, I’d like to go the „official“ Github route.
Sooo … as I don’t have any experience there, any hints, dos and donts I would much appreciate.

So far:
- Have account! :party:
- Have desktop client! :hug:
I haven't used the desktop client, but I expect they have worked hard on making it as intuitive as possible for those new to git or the command line. So maybe some of this stuff is not useful to you, but I thought I would give a few technical responses here.
- Forking Push4Bitwig, is basically the copy I work on, that can be updated with the changes made to the original?
This can be done by setting up a remote tracking repo inside the copy of your clone you have on your computer. There's plenty of documentation on git remote online, which I still google for sometimes even using git every day :)
- What happens when there changes to files I was also working on?
These are called merge conflicts, and they present two layers of potential impact. The first layer is purely textual: were the same lines altered? If so, a human has to go in and tell git what to keep and what to throw away. Otherwise git will resolve these automatically. The second layer is programmatic: if two people were working on a file and have made changes to different pieces of it, does the program still work as expected? This is not something that git can resolve for you, and requires study of the source code itself. But this is only necessary when a problem presents itself, which is rarer than you might expect (in my experience anyway).
- Can I just use the Bitwig script folder as my local copy? Bad idea?
You can store your git repo in the Bitwig script folder without any problems.
- If I f**k anything up, I just replace from my last version online?
One thing I've found with github is that it makes sense to always be working in a branch. This allows you to easily explore different approaches with the option to throw it all away with minimal hassle -- just "checkout" your master branch again and you will be back to where you started. It also makes it dead simple to, once perfected, send your work to moss as a pull request.

A couple useful commands in this regard:

Code: Select all

git checkout -f
This one returns your repo to the last commit, throwing away any changes you might have made since then. Useful in case you've done something dumb :)

Code: Select all

git checkout -b branch_name
This will create a branch called 'branch_name', bringing over any uncommitted changes into that branch, allowing you to store them safely without worry.
- Syncing is handled by the desktop client. Anything I need to know about this?
I'm not sure what that means. Was this something the desktop client mentioned in a dialog?

Thanks for any advice, tips, good practice ...
(But honestly I'd prefer not become a Githubmaster, as this will be the only thing I ever do there. :scared: )
you can checkout, but you can never leave! muahahahahaha! ;)

Last time I used the suggested Komodo, which seemed fine for me.

ceasless wrote: you can checkout, but you can never leave! muahahahahaha! ;)
:wink:

Thanks for chiming in here in my little adventure.
The desktop app had me covered. There are just not enough buttons to do much wrong, I hope ... :hihi:

In case your curious:
https://github.com/svervs/Push4Bitwig-BWS-Colors

Hi!

This is a shot in the dark,and maybe a littlebit stupid :D :oops:
but i couldnt resist myself to ask,

When you hold down the master button, you can choose wich view you want. Fantastic feature!!!
But is there a way, for the time it takes, to go to the display on the push to change that...
Now it,s approximately 2 secs. Maybe theres a number in the script i could change?

I went to a single monitor setup and before i didnt use this feature.

Thnx in advance! :tu:

svervs wrote:What I was thinking about is, getting a second Push(1) from eBay.
So my question is, how would 2 of them behave together? Would they be working independly?
TeotiGraphix wrote:It shouldn't since if you have them hooked up using different port in/out I would think Bitwig tracks each track/device/clip banks as individual.

I haven't actually tested this but it's a theory.

Mike
moss wrote:
Everything that is stored in the script and everything that uses not a cursor is independent. This means
- that all settings are different, e.g. you could use different scales.
- the current views / modes are different, e.g. one could view session, one play, one device editing.

What does not work:
- The current track is always the same, you can not edit 2 different tracks
- The current device is always the same, you can not edit 2 devices

However, never tested since I do have only 1. :wink:
I’d like to get back to my experiment of using two Pushs together, as I got a cheap used one now.

So far it doesn’t work. :?

Have
- Copy of the script folder
- Changed the UUID on the second

When I add them in the controller prefs, both are seen as different controllers,
2x „Ableton Push User Port“ appear, but Bitwig only talks to one Push.
The second one stays in „Please start Live to play…“ and reloading the scripts both trigger the same one.

Then I changed the names to make sure I’m not confusing the ports.

- host.defineController ("Ableton", "Push2", …
This works.

- changed the portname in
host.platformIsMac () && host.addDeviceNameBasedDiscoveryPair (["Ableton Push2 User Port"], ["Ableton Push2 User Port"]);
But this change doesn’t show up in dropdown.

I tried with 1.2 and the compatible 5.0.1 script.
As well as 1.3.1 and the latest script from github.
Tried several variations, adding them one by one, disconnecting while adding the other, …

Thanks for any help!
I’d really like to get this working.

codec17 wrote:But is there a way, for the time it takes, to go to the display on the push to change that...
Now it,s approximately 2 secs. Maybe theres a number in the script i could change?
You can adjust it in the file AbstractControlSurface.js right at the beginning:

AbstractControlSurface.buttonStateInterval = 400;

svervs wrote: I’d like to get back to my experiment of using two Pushs together, as I got a cheap used one now.

As I do not have 2 of them I cannot test it, but:
- it should not be necessary to create a second script, you can run multiple instances of a script.
- The only thing that will not work is the auto detection
- Therefore, just add the script a second time manually (Manual -> Ableton -> Push4Bitwig)
- Set the correct input and output (the 2nd one of the 2nd :-))
- it should work now, if not check if there is an error logged in the script window (select the 2nd script) to see the log of the controller.

Hope this helps.

moss wrote:
svervs wrote: I’d like to get back to my experiment of using two Pushs together, as I got a cheap used one now.

As I do not have 2 of them I cannot test it, but:
- it should not be necessary to create a second script, you can run multiple instances of a script.
- The only thing that will not work is the auto detection
- Therefore, just add the script a second time manually (Manual -> Ableton -> Push4Bitwig)
- Set the correct input and output (the 2nd one of the 2nd :-))
- it should work now, if not check if there is an error logged in the script window (select the 2nd script) to see the log of the controller.

Hope this helps.
Thanks moss.

Unfortunately this didn't work either.
In the Script Console only the first added one gets talked to.

Called init()
Initialized.

No errors.
The second one stays empty.

I'll send it to support and maybe it's something bigger.
Thanks nonetheless ...

Edit: It's a bug.
Last edited by svervs on Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

moss wrote:
codec17 wrote:But is there a way, for the time it takes, to go to the display on the push to change that...
You can adjust it in the file AbstractControlSurface.js right at the beginning:

AbstractControlSurface.buttonStateInterval = 400;
WOW!!! Freaking awesome! Thank you so much for this tip/one! You are full off surprises! :party: :hug: :tu:
It feels a lot snappier now for me now personally... (and it does every button!!! :hyper: )
But poeple dont go below 100 if your intrested....!

Should it be possible to midi map Push knobs or the modulation wheel (touch area) in BWS?

nevermind.... solved it..

Return to “Controller Scripting”