ReFine support topic

Talk about all things "KVR Developer Challenge" related.
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ReFine

I'm currently exporting several tracks that use ReFine 1.0.3 plugin, and I confirm that CPU starts touching the sky when no sound is playing with Cubase 5 and Win 8.1. Exporting is slower than I've ever seen. Please find a solution ! I love this plugin more and more, but every use needs boucing my tracks because CPU starts acting like looney... :scared:
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

There still seems to be an issue in Cubase with VST2, which is strange as it works fine in Reaper. Can you try to use VST3 (not sure whether Cubase 5 supports VST3.6). Another strange thing is that Cubase says the VST2 plugin is version 1.0.0, although I'm sure I installed the correct plugin.
I'll investigate...

I have first tried with the VST2 plugin, then the VST3, before posting here. It's the same with both versions, sorry. :/

I had vst3 processing disabled during silence but get the same results (high CPU during silence) if I disable this option. Cubase sends a very quiet signal as silence which triggerd a further denormalization issue (funnily, Cubase probably does this to prevent denormalization). This should be fixed now, I just uploaded version 1.0.4.

Thanks for the update ! Indeed, things are better, but CPU is still having a weird behaviour. After appr. two or three seconds of silence (tried and retried more than 30 times, not dependent of any additional FX processing, same result on any track even with only one ReFine inserted and nothing more), CPU always rises a lot, then one or two seconds after slowly decays and then stays stable slightly higher than normal rate, though I can't garantee that very last point. I've been using the VST3 version here.

I also noticed this behavior (from what I saw I'd say the rise after switching to silence is from 100% to about 150%; do you experience a much higher rise?), but I think this is related to the algorithm inside. Not sure if I can get this ironed out.

Actually there seem to be periodical rises when no sound is playing, so it's hard to guess : CPU is (let's say) stable around 30%, and suddenly the red light (meaning CPU overuse) flashes for no apparent reason, every two or three seconds. It's impossible to guess the CPU usage in that case. After a track stops playing, the CPU (2-sec-delay) rise could be somewhere between 150 and 200% I think.

until 1.0.3 nothing change in sound of my daw (FL studio 9, Studio One and Nuendo 5), tomorrow I'll try the 1.0.4... just a little\subtle cilpping... o.O

Love this plugin, very quickly becoming a go-to for my drum-bus (post-Eq, pre-compression works for me). However I too am getting the CPU spike on silence. I'm using the 32-bit dll in Ableton Live 9. The problem is still there with 1.0.4.

Needs deletion, CPU problem solved. :)

Version 1.0.5 is now available on the kvr page which should have the CPU problem fixed.

I like the concept of the plugin and have been using it in the mastering process, however there shouldn't be 3 knobs it should just be 3 on/off buttons the effect is only noticable when its turned all the way up any lower and not a single difference.

Right. As I said earlier, I'd like some more intense parameters, I agree that the graduation is too light. Granted, the effect is supposed to be subtle, but I've more than once stacked two or more ReFine on a track to get the appropriate result. I'm using Event Opal monitors (not what I'd call crap), and never used any parameter below 50% to get a significant improval, so I think people with basic speakers may not even notice any change in the sound before 75% at least. Most of the time I stack two instances with parameters all to 100% to get the sound I'm looking for. And I love the result. :)

I like the subtlety myself, this is just one of several plugins i've been using on my drum bus and i tend to dial it up only half way. Perhaps this is because i've processed every drum layer to be quite transient anyway, i don't know.

Maybe an additional X2 button for each knob would be good since it wouldn't mess with any settings on existing uses.
Last edited by DysfunK_Shaun on Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Well, it's fine the way it is for the master bus, I wouldn't change that.
Other scenarios could use more aggressive settings.
It's easy if you know how

Return to “KVR Developer Challenge 2023”