F*****g Zen (Acid Techno)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Apologies for the language. Just watch out if kiddies are around 8)

https://soundcloud.com/mushy-mushy/fking-zen
Last edited by Mushy Mushy on Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

I think this is great. It's like driving in a car toward a cliff at 100 miles an hour, but do you need 8 minutes to get there?

I only listened on my phone, but sounded good. Is the sample from 51st State?

osiris wrote:I think this is great. It's like driving in a car toward a cliff at 100 miles an hour, but do you need 8 minutes to get there?
Thanks for taking the time to listen 8)

You're absolutely right, it could be done in half that probably. I guess you could say that about the vast majority of acid tracks though.

Kriminal wrote:I only listened on my phone, but sounded good. Is the sample from 51st State?
I'm happy you took a listen Krim. I know you love your acid, so you're a great sounding board.

The sample is from a rubbish film called "In The Loop". It's one of Steve Coogan's many many voices. With a healthy splash of Mackie overdrive to polish him up :D

I do listen to a lot of stuff... i just dont comment much :oops:

Kriminal wrote:I do listen to a lot of stuff... i just dont comment much :oops:
Ah ok, well then thanks for taking the time to comment :D

Like it...needs some more builds in it for me personally...nice

MFXxx wrote:Like it...needs some more builds in it for me personally...nice
Thanks for your feedback on SC mate :tu:

I may revisit this one and add more automation, but there are a couple more projects I need to finish first. Ones that are over two years old :oops:

Oh and to answer your SC question, 'tis indeed the BassBot into a Mackie 1202.

Other noteworthy things on there: SH101, Alpha Juno 2, Drumazon, Nepheton, Albino3.

Acid for Sunday lunch anybody?

Oh and BTW, if anybody is put off by my comment of swearing it's only one word in a two word sample (albeit repeated a couple times).

Nice work!

Was going to complain that it's a bit err ...tinny or bright, but the mid range fills out quit nicely as the track progresses so no worries there.

Prognosis: banging.

What did you do for the kick this time? It sounds way more solid than your previous efforts ...
... space is the place ...

ZenPunkHippy wrote:Was going to complain that it's a bit err ...tinny or bright, but the mid range fills out quit nicely as the track progresses so no worries there.
This was exactly my first thought too after uploading and listening. However as you say it gets better when the midrange comes in.

That said might automate the beginning.
Last edited by Mushy Mushy on Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ZenPunkHippy wrote:What did you do for the kick this time? It sounds way more solid than your previous efforts ...
Just down to my new DT880's I think which give a much better view of the low end now.

Plus the use of an iPhone phone dock as a grot box to check low end translation.

It always amazes me how much low end needs to come out to get a solid kick. Incredibly counterintuitive really.
Last edited by Mushy Mushy on Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I enjoyed it. It's got lots of energy and a great sound. Maybe you could consider adding a low, slower bassline in 1/8 notes, to alternate with the faster beat, maybe something like bassline on Yello's "Oh Yeah" or Eat Static's "Worm Lips" just to mix things up a little. It might help to give more opportunities for adding builds.

Good work :)

seismic1 wrote:I enjoyed it. It's got lots of energy and a great sound. Maybe you could consider adding a low, slower bassline in 1/8 notes, to alternate with the faster beat, maybe something like bassline on Yello's "Oh Yeah" or Eat Static's "Worm Lips" just to mix things up a little. It might help to give more opportunities for adding builds.

Good work :)
Oh that's a good idea. Will have a play with that later in the week.

Thanks much for the listen and critique :tu:

Return to “Music Cafe”