Tracktion Linux FAQ

Discussion about: tracktion.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Do you know anything about when Tracktion will insert compatibility with the lv2 format ?
Bitwig Studio 4.0.1 - Live Ableton 10/11 standard + MaxMsp 8 - Reaper 6.3.4 - Waveform 11 - Mixbus 7 - Ardour 6.9
Mx Linux 21.4 Hp elite 8200 sff (Debian Bullseye based + kx studio) - mx linux 19.4 (Asus x54c) Windows 10

Not until JUCE framework officially do support for lv2. And it is not in roadmap even.
BTW you can use Carla for this.

Kott wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:00 am Not until JUCE framework officially do support for lv2. And it is not in roadmap even.
BTW you can use Carla for this.
Hi,many thanks....yes i used at moment for lv2 plug in in waveform 9 and 10 carla host :tu:
Bitwig Studio 4.0.1 - Live Ableton 10/11 standard + MaxMsp 8 - Reaper 6.3.4 - Waveform 11 - Mixbus 7 - Ardour 6.9
Mx Linux 21.4 Hp elite 8200 sff (Debian Bullseye based + kx studio) - mx linux 19.4 (Asus x54c) Windows 10

hi. ive downloaded waveform 10 (demo). wanna run this on the latest ubuntu-studio. als jack router i use claudia. and ive installed multimidicast to connect the linux-machine to the others - mac - where ipmidi from nerd.de is running.
bitwig runs perfect. so i would like to add waveform native too.

the problem is, after install i can start waveform. i can adjust all the settings. can create a project but when i wann edit this project, the whole machine crashes ...

do i have overlooked something?

Waveform (10.3.6) has...requirements as to where I can put plugins.

For example, I can't put them in /mnt/sda2/.vst. Any plugins located there get filed alongside Carla's internal libraries as "appeared to be plugin files, but failed to load correctly". Nor can I solve the problem by mounting /mnt/sda2 on ~/.vst; they all come up the same way.

But if I mount /mnt/sda2 on /usr/lib/vst, everything's fine again!

The sandbox in W11Free (and I would guess Pro) doesn't like LinVST wrapped plugins. It will hang the application with 100% of a CPU and also do...something...such that if I switch to a text console (I often have htop running there) the machine will stop responding to the point that not even SysRq works.

Unrelatedly, black text on a dark gray background is still a thing in file dialogs.

It's worth to mention at the FAQ the https://github.com/x42/lv2vst - the tiny LV2-VST wrapper. Not every plugin works, it depends on what GUI Lib is dynamic linked, and doesn't support >1 atomic inputs (which is right behavior from another POV) .

I've tested it with Geonckick, some x42-plugins, B-plugins and even rncbc's Vee One Suite works!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Is Waveform Free supports HiDPI displays? If yes, where to activate it, and if not, is there some hackarounds for this?

EDIT: Never mind, just installed old version by mistake (8). There is no problems in actual version.

Here's a weird no-one's-at-fault scenario:

Imagine you have a VST running in 1) a native Linux version, 2) a Windows version hosted by LinVST, and 3) the same Windows version hosted by CarlaRack.¹ (Examples: Tunefish3 and Digits.)

The native version and the Carla-hosted Windows version play identically, or as close enough to be unnoticeable.

The LinVST-hosted version plays out of tune at any sample rate other than 44100 by a degree that seems related to the difference in the selected sample rate from 44100.

If Waveform's Audio Device Type is set to ALSA, the LinVST-hosted VST can be brought back in tune simply by changing the sample rate. Go from 48000 at startup to 96000 and it's fine; go back to 48000 and it remains fine.

If Waveform's Audio Device Type is set to JACK, only setting JACK to a sample rate of 44100 will do to work around the problem. Stopping and restarting JACK with a different sample rate does nothing.

LinVST's hosting was working just fine three days ago; reverting to an older version of LinVST made no difference. Reverting Waveform to an older version made no difference. Downgrading from Devuan Unstable to Devuan Testing made no difference. Attempting to downgrade from Devuan Testing to Devuan Stable led to a mistake that ended in reinstalling Devuan Stable, and that made no difference either.

Perhaps it's hardware rot in my (Realtek/Intel HD Audio) sound chip, but it's a strange and isolated symptom. The only reason I think Tracktion might be able to do something about it, if it isn't, is that a similar scenario is found in LMMS: Carla works fine while VeSTige has the same problem as LinVST — except that if you switch off the "Sync VST plugins to host playback" option, VeSTige's hosting works correctly in both JACK and ALSA modes. I don't know why that option has any effect (what it does seems, at least superficially, unrelated to sample-rate), or whether something like it could be added to Waveform, or whether adding it would be worth the bother, but what the heck, I'll throw it out there.

¹ The problem applies to all LinVST hosted VSTs, of course, it's just easiest to hear when they're identical.

Anyone using Waveform 11 on Ubuntu 20.04 and specifically with a hybrid graphics setup?

I'm using a low-latency kernel, obviously using Jack audio backend and the usual realtime hacks to get quite low latency and little to no xruns with my native DAWs like Renoise, Ardour and Bitwig. But here's the thing, Waveform seems to struggle in a few ways and I can't quite pinpoint the cause.

I'm running on an Acer nitro 5 with 8gb ram , it's an octacore CPU and has intel internal graphics and a dedicated Nvidia 4 GB GPU ( I'll come to this later ).

I will edit the post with more specific details of my box, as I'm on my smartphone right now.

In recent Waveform-11 betas there is now a new experimental Audio engine and also an option to utilize the OpenGL lib or more specifically use a dedicated graphics card ( which I presume would offload some cycles to the GPU directly , thus giving more performance to the CPU for real-time audio ? )

Running Waveforms graphics on my Nvidia card makes Waveform unusable even in a very basic Edit, compared to even running FLStudio20 through wine with a quite large edit/song the graphics are super smooth, although I do get serious xruns on the audio ( reported by jack but not overly noticeable and wineasio might not be playing well with my jack settings )
I am using Nvidias proprietary drivers and think I may not have things setup correctly to benefit from the available performance that the card can use ( there's so much info floating around about the correct hacks to do to get optimal performance from the GPU but most seem to come with some side effects especially hybrnating your machine ).

Maybe Ubuntu-20.04 is buggy in general for real-time audio work and I need to Distro hop, maybe the Acer Nitro 5 was a bad buy to use Linux on ?

It would be great if anyone could chime in with some knowledge on this. Thanks guys

Maybe it need to be started via optirun or something like suse-prime https://github.com/openSUSE/SUSEPrime?
I haven't hybrid graphics but can say that OpenGL mode gives nothing on my old GTX970.

Thanks Kott for your speedy reply and as always your knowledge on anything Linux.
I'll look into optirun and suse-prime as you suggested.
Since I discovered Linux around 12 years ago I will immediately wipe windows with a Linux distro on the day of purchase of any new box, even recently a Lenovo netbook which I booted into windows to see how it would run on such a low spec machine which didn't shock me with the result. I installed Ubuntu budgie which is super snappy, anyway back on topic I obviously know that the Acer Nitro is quite a powerful gaming machine , but I feel I'm not getting full performance from it on Ubuntu. Hopefully your info will point me in the right direction. Thanks

Ever get in that situation where Waveform's updating only parts of the screen and won't respond to input? You don't have to kill the program entirely and restart it; just pull up a terminal and do:

killall -SIGSTOP Waveform11 && sleep 1 && killall -SIGCONT Waveform11

ForrestH wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:53 pm Ever get in that situation where Waveform's updating only parts of the screen and won't respond to input? You don't have to kill the program entirely and restart it; just pull up a terminal and do:

killall -SIGSTOP Waveform11 && sleep 1 && killall -SIGCONT Waveform11
Interesting. But it doesn't work for "EDM template problem" .

Hi everyone,
I am trying to install Waveform using the installer provided on the tracktion website: tracktion_download_manager_v1.0.4.deb
I installed the package, no broken dependencies, but when I click on the icon or try to execute the command via terminal nothing happens.
Tried with sudo, tried other versions, but none of them worked.
Any ideas or someone with my same problem?
Thank You folks!

Return to “Tracktion”