Tracktion Linux FAQ

Discussion about: tracktion.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I think version 1.0.4 may have been broken due to Curl if my memory is correct. You could try with the beta version 1.0.6 ( It's there in the download section, small text to the upper right of the file you downloaded already )

I mysteriously solved everything installing the 0.0.1 version and rebooting two times. Thank you!

Kott wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:49 am
ForrestH wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:53 pm Ever get in that situation where Waveform's updating only parts of the screen and won't respond to input? You don't have to kill the program entirely and restart it; just pull up a terminal and do:

killall -SIGSTOP Waveform11 && sleep 1 && killall -SIGCONT Waveform11
Interesting. But it doesn't work for "EDM template problem" .
For what it's worth this trick really helps.

Are there any plans for VST3 support for Linux? I'm using Waveform 11.1.0 and VST3 plugins can't even be added. I know that JUCE supports VST3 in linux already, so when will it be possible to use all those plugins in Waveform?

TrappedInDreams wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:48 am Are there any plans for VST3 support for Linux? I'm using Waveform 11.1.0 and VST3 plugins can't even be added. I know that JUCE supports VST3 in linux already, so when will it be possible to use all those plugins in Waveform?
vst3 is in 11.1.xx betas, but some vst2 stuff is broken from other side

TrappedInDreams wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:48 am Are there any plans for VST3 support for Linux? I'm using Waveform 11.1.0 and VST3 plugins can't even be added. I know that JUCE supports VST3 in linux already, so when will it be possible to use all those plugins in Waveform?
You can meanwhile use carla to host your vst3 plugins. carla is one of the best linux audio plugins ever created.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVmlgT ... subscriber

Advocator of free and open source software.

Putting this here for the sake of future googlers:

Waveform has various buttons that will open folders in a file manager window. On Linux these depend on the 'xdg-open' program. It is possible to change what file manager xdg-open uses; in theory it's as simple as, for example, typing

Code: Select all

xdg-mime default customfilemanager.desktop inode/directory
on the command line, where the .desktop file points to the appropriate program.
What is insufficiently documented (well, that's Linux!) is where that .desktop file needs to be, namely the ~/.local/share/applications folder.

Are there any plans on fixing WM_CLASS? This problem has been around for a long time. The app icon in task manager doesn't associate itself with application because of this.

TrappedInDreams wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:01 pm Are there any plans on fixing WM_CLASS? This problem has been around for a long time. The app icon in task manager doesn't associate itself with application because of this.
+1

There used to be instructions for installing Waveform on .rpm based distros. The tech help says the instructions will still work, but I can no longer find the instructions in the forum. Does someone have a link or a copy of the instructions?

globetrotterdk wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:14 am There used to be instructions for installing Waveform on .rpm based distros. The tech help says the instructions will still work, but I can no longer find the instructions in the forum. Does someone have a link or a copy of the instructions?
it's in the first post of this very thread ;)
danboid wrote: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:46 am Users of rpm distros like Fedora, RHEL and OpenSUSE will need to convert the deb into an rpm package using a tool such as alien.

[…]

Q. I'm not running a Debian or Ubuntu-based distro and there isn't a tool to convert .deb packages into packages for my distro. How can I install Tracktion?

You need ar installed to extract the data.tar.lzma from the Tracktion Debian package and then untar that to the root of your filesystem, like this:

ar xv TracktionInstall_X_X_X_Linux_64Bit.deb
sudo tar xvf data.tar.lzma -C /
Installing manually would be like this these days:

ar xv waveform_64bit_vX.X.X.deb
sudo tar xvf data.tar.xz -C /

Thanks for that. I was on my phone, trying to look through the forum at the time. Now I am on my big boy computer ;)

Converting the waveform_64bit_v11.5.0.deb file using alien to .rpm and install failed on Fedora 33. On the other hand, the following installed without problem:

ar xv waveform_64bit_vX.X.X.deb
sudo tar xvf data.tar.xz -C /
It is important to note that to get Waveform11 Free to run on Fedora 33, it is necessary to install libatomic by running:

$ sudo dnf install libatomic

Well, hurrah!

As an aside, maybe someone at TSC could update the 6 year old OP…

farlukar wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:36 pm Well, hurrah!

As an aside, maybe someone at TSC could update the 6 year old OP…
Now that tracktion-download-manager is an added, separate component, absolutely. Uninstall instructions would also be useful, so that it is relatively easy to upgrade on .rpm based systems to a new Waveform version when available.

Return to “Tracktion”