One Synth Challenge #68: Synth1 by Ichiro Toda

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

No hints shall be given but I will say my entry is shaping up way better than expected. I thought I'd have more trouble working without presets at all but after i made various sounds I liked it started becoming second nature, especially with the drum work.

Although this is my second competition it's definitely helping to push how I think about production and how to approach sounds.

It will be great if synth1 has a "find patch" option!

ballacr75 wrote:It will be great if synth1 has a "find patch" option!
If you are on Windows:

There is a tool called SY1Lst.bat which can create a txt file with all the patch names per bank.

Then you can use the Windows search to look for a patch.

Guess it's time I update Synth1. I still have version 1.07, which I think I downloaded in 2008!
I've enjoyed it a lot, but I don't think I've ever downloaded much for patches! Maybe for this one, I might stick to creating my own, and that's cool, since it is a fun synth to program!

I present my entry into this most auspicious of contests, Vivimus Hodie.

https://soundcloud.com/apzx/apzx-vivimus-hodie

Nothing really crazy about writing this track. More just trying to make something a bit lively and uplifiting. Also, I had never really played with Synth1 much as a result this contest was quite a bit of fun for me to mess around with it.

Of course the list of stuff utilized:
DAW: FL Studio 11
Synth Count: 23
VSTs Utilized:
DensityMKIII: 11 instances
BaxterEQ: 2 instances
Limiter No6: 1 instance
BootEQMKII: 19 instances
TesslaSE: 2 instances
ThrillseekerLA: 1 instance
ThrillseekerXTC Black: 1 instance
Molot: 1 instance
Classic Delay: 4 instances
TAL Reverb III: 4 instances
TAL Reverb II: 2 instances
nox ad umbras lucem misit.

fluffy_little_something wrote:
z.prime wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:
Chris-S wrote::tu:
Time to rename the OSC to SOC (Synth One Challenge).
:D
Yeah, seems they are running out of synths or ideas :)
Perhaps there have been improvements in synths & DAWs that warrant another round of use for particularly good free VSTs. And, the same people who joined the first and prior contests aren't necessarily the same as those who are around today, also warranting reuse of popular cross-platform synths. It seems as though you are unable to comprehend other possible reasons for synth reuse than assuming people are 'running out of ideas'...
So? There have been many synths that have not been chosen even twice so far.

I do think they are running out of ideas and options (which I am not really blaming them for), maybe because they don't want to lock out all those that no longer use 32-bit synths like SE stuff (they occasionally do like with Swierk). Commercial software can usually not be used in OSC, so there is not that much left...
Running out of cross platform PC/Mac synths is the issue. Hardly anyone left so when Synth1 became one recently, I can see it almost had to be used, especially as it has a very special standing at KVR being the no. 1 ranked synth here for years and years: http://www.kvraudio.com/plugin-ranks.php?m=1.

Do check out OSC 1 and the winner Kaiyoti's superb drum sounds, a OSC classic track imo: https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/osc-1-synth1

APZX wrote:I present my entry into this most auspicious of contests, Vivimus Hodie.

https://soundcloud.com/apzx/apzx-vivimus-hodie

Nothing really crazy about writing this track. More just trying to make something a bit lively and uplifiting. Also, I had never really played with Synth1 much as a result this contest was quite a bit of fun for me to mess around with it.

Of course the list of stuff utilized:
DAW: FL Studio 11
Synth Count: 23
VSTs Utilized:
DensityMKIII: 11 instances
BaxterEQ: 2 instances
Limiter No6: 1 instance
BootEQMKII: 19 instances
TesslaSE: 2 instances
ThrillseekerLA: 1 instance
ThrillseekerXTC Black: 1 instance
Molot: 1 instance
Classic Delay: 4 instances
TAL Reverb III: 4 instances
TAL Reverb II: 2 instances
Great piece, great sounds, fantastic :tu:

[quote="Chris-S"][quote="ballacr75"]It will be great if synth1 has a "find patch" option![/quote]
If you are on Windows:

There is a tool called SY1Lst.bat which can create a txt file with all the patch names per bank.

Then you can use the Windows search to look for a patch.

[url=http://up.picr.de/19719901jq.jpg][img]http://thumbs.picr.de/19719901jq.jpg[/img][/url][/quote]

Ok, where I can find this "sy1lst.bat"? I tryed to find on the net but nothing!

where I can find this "sy1lst.bat"?
The original website by Zorniko is no longer available.
Here is a copy of the windows script:
SY1LST.bat

Usage: Copy to a bank folder and double click.

Eventually you have to enable your bank folders for indexing.

I'm using this with success on Win7, dunno if it works on XP, Win8 or Win10.

Anybody know how to get this plugin to work on a Mac G4 Powerpc?
Last edited by BbluntProductions on Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hello everyone!

Been working on this track for a day or so ... quite like it now, all 6 minutes of it.

Somewhat different to my usual submissions.

DAW Reaper

Synth1 32 instances (ie 32 tracks!)
BootEQMkII 19
EpicVerb 2
ReaEQ 1
Classic Compressor 3
LFX-1310 (autopan only) 3
Twin Delay 2
Limiter No6 1

Enjoy!

dB

https://soundcloud.com/doctorbob/doctor ... -68-synth1

doctorbob wrote:Hello everyone!

Been working on this track for a day or so ... quite like it now, all 6 minutes of it.

Somewhat different to my usual submissions.

DAW Reaper

Synth1 32 instances (ie 32 tracks!)
BootEQMkII 19
EpicVerb 2
ReaEQ 1
Classic Compressor 3
LFX-1310 (autopan only) 3
Twin Delay 2
Limiter No6 1

Enjoy!

dB

https://soundcloud.com/doctorbob/doctor ... -68-synth1
I too see you like BootEQMKII . . ., hehehehe. Anyway, man you've got some great sounds in here. Great texture and layers. Not sure what I was expecting but some of these sounds are simply brilliant. Vocal-esque? Nice hard 303-ish (kind of reminds me of Exploration of Space tbh). What actually sounds like a good piano? My piano kinda sucks in comparison. Beautiful arps, a nice little Psytrance like kick, wonderful strings & pads, you really must have had some fun with this! I think this is just a great example to show just how versatile the synth really is. Deceivingly simple interface for the sounds that lie underneath.

Best of luck in the competition!

@ThePresent,
Thanks man!

Yep, I've been blown away by how versatile and great Synth1 sounds and the CPU usage (or lack thereof) is great. This synth is certainly going in the keeper pile... The UI is very usable, but I'd sure like it just a little prettier. But darn if I'm not slow at actually putting a track together... always wanted to be first, but never can come close...

Saw doctorbob's song go by on my SC feed and gave it a quick listen...though "wow, this is different for doctorbob" then realized most of his stuff is really different from month to month. :) Well done doc. Very musical as always and sound design is good as well. You did that in the better part of a day? Holy hell!

I'm still ironing out the kinks on my sounds and arrangement. May add a couple more items if I can figure out how to synthesize them. Would be pretty damn cool if I can figure it out.

This really is an amazing synth. I gave it a go, what a year ago when I started production and hated this synth. Basically went through the presets and what little I knew of subtractive synthesis and thought it was horrible sounding. I'm able to get some nice little sounds out of it now. TONS of functionality for a free synth.

Z.prime,
The default color of Synth1's GUI is astoundingly terrible. However, I honestly kind of feel that it is "iconic" to the synth. Overall, though I will agree that the GUI is very usable. Don't worry about the speed at which you can put a track together. For me it either comes together quickly (this track was about 2 days for composition and about a day for mixing) or very slowly (Longest I have had was about one month for composition and 2 weeks to actually mix it). Just focus on making something great sounding. Synth1 at least deserves that.

Return to “Instruments”