Presswerk Public Beta

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Wow, it installed on OSX 10.6.8

Sounds great, but there are no presets. Did they just not install and I have to reinstall or....?

There are no presets.
Settings are very much dependent on the material so, like an EQ, presets don't make much sense (except as a starting point).
Free banks for soft synths | ghostwave.fr | soundcloud.com/ghostwaveaudio

egbert wrote:sounds great and reminiscent of the AA CL1 comp.
Apparently I'm not alone with that feeling. :tu:

kuzami wrote:If the compressors are final, why not put the Opto and the FET on the same page and be able to switch between them (or maybe use both, maybe mix between them)? It feels very empty in those sections the way it is now. Will definetely buy this anyway :P Also wish the Satin intro pricing was still going, arrived late to the party on that one :/ Would be insta-buy with the intro discount :P
I thought of that too... but it's not possible to use both since the simple pages aren't different compressors/instances.
What would happen when switching back to the normal view? ;)

If there's too much space in the simple views, we can always try to convince Urs it's a good idea to bring ONLY the dry/wet mix and the sidechain HP parameters to all views. ;)

paterpeter wrote:
egbert wrote:sounds great and reminiscent of the AA CL1 comp.
Apparently I'm not alone with that feeling. :tu:
Yeah - CL1 is a great comp but I have been using DC82 mostly. I find the CL1 interface inclines toward eyestrain - eg with the tiny data readout for the currently edited parameter. Large proportions of the GUI are used for graphics for knobs but the numbers I need to read are miniscule. I guess it could use an update for modern higher resolution monitors.
"I got a car battery and two jumper cables that argue different."
Rust Cohle

Karten wrote:There are no presets.
Settings are very much dependent on the material so, like an EQ, presets don't make much sense (except as a starting point).
"INIT" type of presets are the best here IMO too.

I have a couple of those and are very useful, like: Init: Clean, Natural, Pump, Silk, Snap etc...

G......................A...................................S............. :help:

elassi wrote:G......................A...................................S............. :help:
:hihi:
i had my GAS last month, bought 3 synths :lol:

i am waiting for the supersynth to try.
Presswerk looks really nice, but i am not interested in a compressor.
sure it sounds nice.
Lenovo IdeaPad U330p Win8.1 Pro x64 | Ableton Suite 9.1.5 x32 | Some Synths

elassi wrote:G......................A...................................S............. :help:
Well, since we can't buy it just yet, you have a few days' respite.
But I (now) know I will (maybe) purchase Presswerk and probably The Hive as well.
Last edited by Ghostwave on Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free banks for soft synths | ghostwave.fr | soundcloud.com/ghostwaveaudio

Had a quick run with it, seems pretty nice. Would like to see a preset section written from the dev(s), as opposed to, well, any other perspective. I want to see with 100% certainty what they think it is for.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

Urs wrote: A few weeks ago we had the most gorgeous and realistic looking front panels of these machines in Presswerk.
Can you please show us those front panels? Some teasers maybe?
:pray:

Urs wrote: A few weeks ago we had the most gorgeous and realistic looking front panels of these machines in Presswerk. And we thought, people will tear us apart for this, it raises the expectation to be a spot-on emulation.
Seriously, how did I miss that.

You could offer it as optional skins in the menu.

Curious to see that. And no, no expectations of 1:1 emulation, just more pleasing to look at.

Congratulations! Beautiful to look at it and at first blush (just a little testing on various tracks and across mix buses, it sounds great!) Thank you Urs and team!

paterpeter wrote:The sound reminds me of the ArtsAcoustics CL1 compressors, in a good way, because I love their sound.
This.

For me this is more of a problem than a good thing. In the "analogue" mode you can quite clearly hear the "flop flop" or whatever the way to describe the sound is when you are compressing hard, ticky, transients. It's a very particular sound and sounds like modulated allpass filter doing more harm than good.

The thing is, I've never heard this kind of sound on any analogue compressor. It's the same critique I gave the Arts Acoustic guys back in the day.

The positive effect of this method is that transients and things get really smeared in a good way but their shape is wrong or weird, causing the added "flop flop" sound. It's odd and quite distracting after a while.

I need to play a bit more with it but so far I prefer Presswerk with the Analogue button turned off. I've only used it on a few drumloops and stuff so it's very possible that it works wonders on vocals and other smoother sources, just like Arts Acoustic compressor suite.

Cheers!
bManic
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

egbert wrote:Tried this out on some acoustic bass - sounds great and reminiscent of the AA CL1 comp.
It's not at all a coincidence that people will be saying this. The way the transients get handled is very similar and has the same issues.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Return to “u-he”