Behringer X32 as a DAW controler, soundcard and effects unit.....

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi

I just pickled up an X32 producer at the new low price (I paid 950 UK) with the new V2 software....

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/X32.aspx

WOW

Far better than I was expecting. My quick feedback for anyone considering going down the digital mixer route with a DAW....

First and most importantly (for me)- sound quality 24bit/48K is really good, I was on RME before, this is just as good.

Latency is amazingly low for USB- 32 in/32 out 128 buffer size I get 8 ms roundtrip.

Lots of I/O 16 Midas pre-s (32 if you go up to the compact or full) and 6 line phono...

Ton's of outstanding 'plug in's' (they really are top draw)

DAW control (makie, HUI and now full midi support) and great ipad, PC and android remote control apps offering full control and feedback of everything....

Anyone else using an X32 with a DAW?
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

The X32 is a really nice piece of gear (especially nice for the $$$).
I got the Compact version to use in my studio.
The Midas designed preamps are surprisingly full sounding.

About the round-trip latency (via the onboard USB audio interface):
The driver is extremely flexible (will let you set super lower ASIO and Streaming buffer sizes)...
But you won't be able to run substantial loads at less than ~10ms
Anything less than that amount (when running heavy loads) results in a-sync distortion.
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

Hello Jim

I'm running 16 in/16 out most of the time- without issue at 4ms in, 4ms out (i7 PC) without an issue. Massive overkill for as I am normally on my own just using a handful of inputs, so most of the time its just to save me unplugging stuff (Midas equipment patch bay!)

I have been having fun with the 32 out option for mixing outside the box and using the built in effects (sends and inserts) to save my processor for more fun things like Diva....Its really growing on me mixing in that way, I can turn off the PC and just use my ears (I don't, I have X32 mix up :-))
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”