Xfer Serum advanced algorithm tutorial

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Serum

Vertion wrote:Try running the plotted numbers into an online regression calculator and get any wave you want ...
OK, thanks.

I did this and went on this site:
https://planetcalc.com/5992/

I then put the x and y coordinates of the wave ... and then?
There are some results like:
Linear regression
Quadratic regression
Cubic regression
Power regression
ab-exponential regression
Hyperbolic regression
Exponential regression

Each regression has an equation, a b-coefficient and a a-coefficient.

Can one of these results be used for the Serum Formula feature?
And if yes how?

I have absolutely no clue about this!
teacuemusic (Musicals)
youtube

Needs to regress to a higher degree polynomial if you are going that way. I might either recommend using the mepx, it basically uses noise to try to evolve a set of functions that best match your data points. It even spits out source code. I personally have no time to regress that at the moment. You could also build up the wave with functions by hand...either by trial and error, or composite masking.... if you want to get really precise by hand, design the individual curves between every data point, then you can basically create an 'envelope' to your tailored curve by multiplying something like this: (you can use fooplot.com to see)
(abs(-abs(x)+1) + -abs(x)+1)/2
This 'envelope' can limit where each curve exists in your final formula, similar to the concept of creating an image 'mask'. Notice that it only runs above zero between -1 and +1. Then you can build a 1-dimensional function of pretty much whatever you'd like into a summed composition. If I get some time, I'll look at my old text files and see if I can dig up some old functions to share here.
SLH - Yes, I am a woman, deal with it.

Vertion, thanks a lot for all your suggestions but as I previously mentioned all this math is too complicated for me and I have absolutely no math basic to understand this.
I was only asking if by any chance someone would be able to write the Serum Formula for this wave.
I have read a tutorial about this Serum feature but it does not help me either.
What I am missing is if and how it is possible to define the coordinates for only a part of the wave, then I could try to calculate three sinus waves, but I don't find any help for this.
teacuemusic (Musicals)
youtube

Love the topic so much, the easiest way will be to draw it in the lfo tool in serum manually, and then drag and drop it to osc to replace the default wavetable with what you draw. Serum does have a feature of drag & drop of lfo to wavetable directly instead of formula. The other method is evident you have a wavetable with nose & tail, you must to re-edit the either one with bend - or bend + function. It would be waste of time to create one from scratch. Keep up, cheers.
teacue wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:04 pm Old thread I know!

Is someone who contributed to this thread maybe able to write down the Serum formula for this wave?

This is the wave used for the Pacman Waka sound.
See also this thread for some more details:
viewtopic.php?f=100&t=506039

As one can see there is a time line grid with values from 0 to 31.
Highest point of the first sinus cycle 4
zero crossing 8
lowest point 12
next zerocrossing 16
highest point of the next sinus cycle 19
next zerocrossing 22
lowest point 25
next zerocrossing 28
highest point of the last sinus cycle 29
next zerocrossing 30
lowest and last point 31

I am also not sure if the value 5 on the y axis sould be considered as 0

tjlorens wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:37 pm Love the topic so much, the easiest way will be to draw it in the lfo tool in serum manually, and then drag and drop it to osc to replace the default wavetable with what you draw. Serum does have a feature of drag & drop of lfo to wavetable directly instead of formula. The other method is evident you have a wavetable with nose & tail, you must to re-edit the either one with bend - or bend + function. It would be waste of time to create one from scratch. Keep up, cheers.
teacue wrote: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:04 pm Old thread I know!

Is someone who contributed to this thread maybe able to write down the Serum formula for this wave?

This is the wave used for the Pacman Waka sound.
See also this thread for some more details:
viewtopic.php?f=100&t=506039

As one can see there is a time line grid with values from 0 to 31.
Highest point of the first sinus cycle 4
zero crossing 8
lowest point 12
next zerocrossing 16
highest point of the next sinus cycle 19
next zerocrossing 22
lowest point 25
next zerocrossing 28
highest point of the last sinus cycle 29
next zerocrossing 30
lowest and last point 31

I am also not sure if the value 5 on the y axis sould be considered as 0
It was already done by the OP of the other thread, in the pneultimate post there: viewtopic.php?f=100&t=506039&start=15
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Instruments”