Techno: Sarah

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I don't like techno to much. Gets boring pretty quickly. But nonetheless, the buildups and the sounds are kind of cool once in a while. So I tried some myself. Let me know what you think.

https://soundcloud.com/matthijsbos/full-track-sarah

Cool track, I think the pulse you're using at the start would be the ideal place to use a high-res sound. Self oscillation, drive into the filter by about +3db to +6db where the res/oscillation level is quite reduced vs. the main part of the pulse and maybe set up some interesting LFO mod on the cutoff.

One trick I like to use is if your LFO has delay as in the Roland SH- series, set up a low frequency modulation and use the delay to create a sort of "attack" so you get the main part of the decay from the filter env (should be really small, 5%?) and then a "whoop!" or "dshhp" attack or decay effect from the delay acting as an envelope on the LFO, as the LFO goes positive and negative.

As it is now the ramp bass has a great amount of "bite", the metallic (ringmod?) and other effects give lots of sustained pulses of high-frequency content along with the modulated (FM?) sound and you're just missing out on more of the mid-range. I think you could fill the mid-range with some self-oscillating filter on the pulse where the cutoff is always around 100hz to 1000hz or so with just some light modulation.

Another idea might be to add some ride cymbal to get a bit more high-frequency dynamic in the percussion, or at least maybe increase the "attack" of the hihat or some other similar sound. You're using a ride at 2:31 already but the dynamic of it is minimal, it's more of a sustained sound. I think it would be better with a little more "punch" or "attack" to it. In other words more amplitude envelope with a relatively quick decay.

Your existing hihats are also very high-frequency focused, have you tried the classic 909 hat?
http://xhip.net/temp/ch.wav

This hat has a lot more mid range which will again help to fill up that void.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

That's a weird mix. The kick drum is barely audible and those flabby bass synths dominate the mix.

Work on it more :P
"People are stupid" Gegard Mousasi.

Return to “Music Cafe”