The search for a Kurzweil K2000 piano soundalike VST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

tweakoz wrote:A K2000 like softsynth does exist. I am making it :)
Very cool!

What are your plans with this? Presumably when you say ROMS you mean the Kurz's onboard ROM sample content?

:o

Very interested :tu:

As a K2000S owner (thanks to a friend), I'd be interested in this myself!

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

That Doomsday and Castle Drums patch convinced me... an ETA of a VSTi release?
Heck, even a beta would do.
tweakoz wrote:Obviously, for legal reasons - I cannot release the ROMS. I had a k2000 die on me so I recovered the ROM data and started hacking away trying to recreate VAST.
Hm... I'm not knowledgeable if it comes to legal things like that... but would that even count to reverse engineering?

Or are you talking about the WAVE ROM, read the samples "used" to create the synth patches? Because at this point, the K2xxx (2000 and 2500) is how old? Two decades? Would somebody even still care in the world of 500GB Kontakt Sample Packs? I mean, Kurzweil themselves don't care about a VSTi version of any of their hardware (commentary: "romplers these days sound so much better - an others implemented our sounds anyway") - so yeah.

It's not like you recreate the GUI of a K2x00. Unless you try to stab at the most accurate V.A.S.T. clone there is. If that's the case, then please with Custom WAV layer loading capabilities (therefore making it to a K2x00 v3+), and a GUI that is actually useful.

Also... the programs/samples for the K2000 can still be found freely on the web (Google-fu is your friend). This is how I got all of my bonus add-ons that I didn't have on Floppy Disk yet. I still remember what a PITA it was to get them on to a ZIP drive.

Now I really hope this project succeeds... And not be discontinued down the road like the SQ80 (SQ8L) and the TB303 (Venom VB-303)... And honestly, the second (possible VSTi) project on my radar after I heard of the vMPC++ by chance on Youtube.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

These are just factory preset files (the Factory Preset for example is 150kb in size - definitely no samples!). There should be still FTPs out there, offering a ton of free and official stuff that are both presets and samples.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Get a Micropiano from eBay - very cheap

Compyfox wrote:These are just factory preset files (the Factory Preset for example is 150kb in size - definitely no samples!). There should be still FTPs out there, offering a ton of free and official stuff that are both presets and samples.
Gotcha

http://www.synthzone.com/kurzweil.htm
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Good morning

you are great expert of sound.
I have micropiano kurzweil same.
what is your opinion about this module?
thanks
iacopo

People care about the k2000 piano still? I owned one and mostly just used the analog sample packs, wasn't wowed by the piano

Not really. It's a 5 year old thread and nothing ever came of it. Some of the old Kurzweil programmers now do SONiVOX.

briefcasemanx wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:02 am People care about the k2000 piano still? I owned one and mostly just used the analog sample packs, wasn't wowed by the piano
What can you provide?

phreaque wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:10 am
briefcasemanx wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:02 am People care about the k2000 piano still? I owned one and mostly just used the analog sample packs, wasn't wowed by the piano
What can you provide?
I'm wondering what makes the piano sound interesting compared to plugins nowadays. What would make someone seek it out in modern times?

It’s the Robert Miles piano. Shouldn’t that be having a comeback ~20 year cycle?

Return to “Instruments”