Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
keyman_sam
KVRAF
 
3974 posts since 7 Mar, 2005

Postby keyman_sam; Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:50 pm Ableton Live crash - can't even open the project. What now?

Live is not opening my project - tried opening a copy of it and it won't open. Is there a safe mode like in Reaper where it loads without any plugins?

EDIT: Got it to work now. I turned off the plugins, changed my soundcard, loaded the project, then closed it without saving, then opened the project and it opens now.

If I had a dime for everytime Live crashed... :roll:
User avatar
thecontrolcentre
KVRAF
 
22316 posts since 27 Jul, 2005, from the wilds of wanny

Postby thecontrolcentre; Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:09 pm Re: Ableton Live crash - can't even open the project. What now?

Live has only crashed twice here since the 9.5 upgrade. Caused by dodgy plugins iirc. Glad you got your project to open.
ksandvik
KVRian
 
576 posts since 25 Aug, 2005, from North California

Postby ksandvik; Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:11 pm Re: Ableton Live crash - can't even open the project. What now?

keyman_sam wrote:Live is not opening my project - tried opening a copy of it and it won't open. Is there a safe mode like in Reaper where it loads without any plugins?

EDIT: Got it to work now. I turned off the plugins, changed my soundcard, loaded the project, then closed it without saving, then opened the project and it opens now.

If I had a dime for everytime Live crashed... :roll:


Send crash reports to Ableton so they could fix these kinds of things.
keyman_sam
KVRAF
 
3974 posts since 7 Mar, 2005

Postby keyman_sam; Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:55 pm Re: Ableton Live crash - can't even open the project. What now?

I've done that before with no response so gave up on that.
elxsound
KVRAF
 
4517 posts since 18 Aug, 2007, from NYC

Postby elxsound; Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:47 pm Re: Ableton Live crash - can't even open the project. What now?

thecontrolcentre wrote:Live has only crashed twice here since the 9.5 upgrade. Caused by dodgy plugins iirc. Glad you got your project to open.


Stable as rock here.

When I ran into issues like this, I would open a brand new set, then locate the saved set via Live's browser and drag in the tracks, one-by-one, playing Live each time to determine what was causing the crash.

There are so many interdependencies between OS, host and plugins that it really does help to determine what's causing it so you know where to send your support requests.
keyman_sam
KVRAF
 
3974 posts since 7 Mar, 2005

Postby keyman_sam; Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:25 pm Re: Ableton Live crash - can't even open the project. What now?

elxsound wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:Live has only crashed twice here since the 9.5 upgrade. Caused by dodgy plugins iirc. Glad you got your project to open.


Stable as rock here.

When I ran into issues like this, I would open a brand new set, then locate the saved set via Live's browser and drag in the tracks, one-by-one, playing Live each time to determine what was causing the crash.

There are so many interdependencies between OS, host and plugins that it really does help to determine what's causing it so you know where to send your support requests.


That's a good idea about the dragging and dropping. I'll try that next time.

I suspect it could be the Max4Live devices. I look at my plugins and they're all big hitters like omni, kontakt, guitar rig, etc. Nothing I can think of as a fringe plugin or a freebie.

In addition, performance has been terrible. It starts crackling at 50% CPU. Never had this problem with Reaper whatosever. I've NEVER had to change my RME Babyface buffers to 512 - this is a first with Live. :shrug:
tooneba
KVRian
 
1033 posts since 6 Nov, 2012

Postby tooneba; Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:58 pm Re: Ableton Live crash - can't even open the project. What now?

There is 6 pages thread about 9.5 crash & issue in their forum.
SJ****** wrote:dongle is the best solution .. all other suck.
ksandvik
KVRian
 
576 posts since 25 Aug, 2005, from North California

Postby ksandvik; Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:48 am Re: Ableton Live crash - can't even open the project. What now?

keyman_sam wrote:I've done that before with no response so gave up on that.


Odd, I've sent *detailed* bug reports to their support team and at least got an acknowledgement, I don't expect the to handle each case individually especially as there's a limit of resources.

But speaking from the other end, any useful bug reports with as much valid detail as possible will help narrow down the issue and save engineering time.
User avatar
dave dove
KVRian
 
802 posts since 31 Aug, 2007, from wales

Postby dave dove; Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:21 am Re: Ableton Live crash - can't even open the project. What now?

acknowledgement is automatic
never heard of them responding directly
unless they require further info not contained in crash report

only crashes i've had with 9.5 have been to do with plugins - melodyne
wouldn't open at all
no other problems here but i use a mac which reduces compatibility issues...

dave
User avatar
thejonsolo
KVRAF
 
1894 posts since 13 Apr, 2008, from Charleston, SC

Postby thejonsolo; Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:28 pm Re: Ableton Live crash - can't even open the project. What now?

Actually in a case like this they might respond...especially if you can't open the file.

For general crash reports, those get forwarded to the devs.
keyman_sam
KVRAF
 
3974 posts since 7 Mar, 2005

Postby keyman_sam; Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:14 pm Re: Ableton Live crash - can't even open the project. What now?

Well, it crashed again today and I just sent the file to the team.

Fingers crossed.
User avatar
thecontrolcentre
KVRAF
 
22316 posts since 27 Jul, 2005, from the wilds of wanny

Postby thecontrolcentre; Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:20 pm Re: Ableton Live crash - can't even open the project. What now?

keyman_sam wrote:I've done that before with no response so gave up on that.

Ableton don't respond to crash reports unless you have a particular request ... they have always responded promptly to my emails in the past.
User avatar
thecontrolcentre
KVRAF
 
22316 posts since 27 Jul, 2005, from the wilds of wanny

Postby thecontrolcentre; Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:22 pm Re: Ableton Live crash - can't even open the project. What now?

keyman_sam wrote:Well, it crashed again today and I just sent the file to the team.

Fingers crossed.

You will need to send an email if you want a response, or contact them via their website.
User avatar
thejonsolo
KVRAF
 
1894 posts since 13 Apr, 2008, from Charleston, SC

Postby thejonsolo; Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:59 pm Re: Ableton Live crash - can't even open the project. What now?

thecontrolcentre wrote:
keyman_sam wrote:Well, it crashed again today and I just sent the file to the team.

Fingers crossed.

You will need to send an email if you want a response, or contact them via their website.


Right...make sure you include what happened and what you NEED to have happen. Don't just send the file and expect a response.

I have titled mine EMERGENCY- HELP in the past, and got a response.
keyman_sam
KVRAF
 
3974 posts since 7 Mar, 2005

Postby keyman_sam; Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:15 pm Re: Ableton Live crash - can't even open the project. What now?

thejonsolo wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:
keyman_sam wrote:Well, it crashed again today and I just sent the file to the team.

Fingers crossed.

You will need to send an email if you want a response, or contact them via their website.


Right...make sure you include what happened and what you NEED to have happen. Don't just send the file and expect a response.

I have titled mine EMERGENCY- HELP in the past, and got a response.


I did that in the past, when there was an actual emergency, with no response. Now I just sent the file to the support team listed in the crash page. No response.

Now I have the same problem - it won't open again. :help:
Next

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)