Anyone here use Hive?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bazille Diva DUNE 3 Falcon Hive 2 miniSyn'X Presswerk Serum Spire Sylenth1 SynthMaster 2 Virus TI

Urs wrote:Hehehe, another one of those ;)

My opinion: Those who prefer Sylenth1 sound-wise would prefer it over Hive even if we added a 4th engine that sounds exactly like Sylenth1. Those who prefer Sylenth1 feature-wise would still prefer it over Hive even if we demonstrated that Hive can do 99% of Sylenth1's factory presets while Sylenth1 can only do 60% or less of Hive's. Those who prefer Sylenth1 design-wise over Hive would still prefer it over Hive if we added a UI skin that looks exactly like Sylenth1. Those who prefer Sylenth1 CPU-wise over Hive would still prefer it over Hive if we added proved that all similar patches use almost exactly the same CPU.

In other words, I don't think there's a need to compare the two for objective matters. It's merely a question of taste and what people are used to.
What would it mean that Hive, with another engine could do "99% of Sylenth1's factory presets"? I mean, it surely wouldn't sound the same 100%, would it? And there lies the issue when comparing them, because people love Sylenth1 for its sound, and exactly that sound. Just like people loved and love the Virus for sounding exactly like it does. Now Hive is very similar in terms of architecture and approach (a non-CPU unison synth) to Sylenth1, but it doesn't sound the same. Which, for the people expecting it to sound like Sylenth1, will be a disapointment. And for those who don't, it will be fair enough, because if they wanted it to sound like Sylenth1, they could have just bought Sylenth1.

Anyway, what i'm trying to say is that one shouldn't disregard the sound argument. It's easy to say that you can easily recreate what Sylenth1 does in other soft synth. It's like those A/B comparisons which are often made so the people fail at guessing them correctly. If it all was so easy then no producer in the world would need anything else but Synth1. I think it's also a matter of how easy you can achieve the sound you want to achieve. It can well be that Synth1 also gets you to your destination, but maybe it takes a hell of a lot time to get there, and that's something you want to avoid if possible. :shrug: But my opinion is also that for some sounds, Synth1 will surely suck, while others will shine. That's with most synths, soft or not, they all have their sweet spot, and their weaknesses. Some do have more of those than others, though.
Last edited by chk071 on Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

:D But even half a million is pretty decent for a single, recent synth :)

I remember trying to recreate some of my hundreds of Sylenth patches on Hive, but they just didn't sound the same, which, however, is what I wanted, as I was only looking into Hive because of the additional features such as PWM. Even simple saw patches sounded different. Of course it is a matter of taste whether one likes that difference or not.

My opinion: Those who prefer Sylenth1 sound-wise would prefer it over Hive even if we added a 4th engine that sounds exactly like Sylenth1. Those who prefer Sylenth1 feature-wise would still prefer it over Hive even if we demonstrated that Hive can do 99% of Sylenth1's factory presets while Sylenth1 can only do 60% or less of Hive's. Those who prefer Sylenth1 design-wise over Hive would still prefer it over Hive if we added a UI skin that looks exactly like Sylenth1. Those who prefer Sylenth1 CPU-wise over Hive would still prefer it over Hive if we added proved that all similar patches use almost exactly the same CPU.

In other words, I don't think there's a need to compare the two for objective matters. It's merely a question of taste and what people are used to.
:clap:

Honestly Urs I like both.. but I have Sylenth for 4 years now... would love to be able to buy Hive if I could. .. :!: maybe Santa Clause could help me there... "Dear Fathurs Christmas may I have a Hive for Xmas :pray:

fluffy_little_something wrote::D But even half a million is pretty decent for a single, recent synth :)
Isn't it rather 4000+ then? *gets his calculator* Would also fit better to the figures Urs posted here once about their other plugins. Edit: Oh, half a million € is meant... nevermind then. :)

kurodo wrote:Sylenth is a lovely synth, easy to program and great on the CPU. Joseph Hollo Goldmine showcases a lovely set of sounds that are not geared towards EDM :)

http://sound.artenuovo.com
And I thought that I'll never buy more Sylenth soundbanks...
This one sounds wonderful!
But why they don't accept paypal?

My only nitpick with Hive is that supersaw sounds with detune around 40-50% sound more plastic compared to competition synth. It has metallic sound to it, hard to explain. Also, whats wrong with attack with supersaw sounds? I played with phases, but it doesnt sound...right...

fluffy_little_something wrote:I wish people would stop putting it as if those synths were made for EDM/Trance. They may be good at that because of their multiple wave oscillators, but they are perfectly capable of replacing normal analog synths as well, i.e. of being used for R&B, Funk, etc.
I agree. I use Hive, as well as all my other VSTs, for R&B, Neo-Soul and Jazz-Funk Fusion.

chk071 wrote:

What would it mean that Hive, with another engine could do "99% of Sylenth1's factory presets"? I mean, it surely wouldn't sound the same 100%, would it? And there lies the issue when comparing them, because people love Sylenth1 for its sound, and exactly that sound. Just like people loved and love the Virus for sounding exactly like it does. Now Hive is very similar in terms of architecture and approach (a non-CPU unison synth) to Sylenth1, but it doesn't sound the same. Which, for the people expecting it to sound like Sylenth1, will be a disapointment. And for those who don't, it will be fair enough, because if they wanted it to sound like Sylenth1, they could have just bought Sylenth1.

Anyway, what i'm trying to say is that one shouldn't disregard the sound argument. It's easy to say that you can easily recreate what Sylenth1 does in other soft synth. It's like those A/B comparisons which are often made so the people fail at guessing them correctly. If it all was so easy then no producer in the world would need anything else but Synth1. I think it's also a matter of how easy you can achieve the sound you want to achieve. It can well be that Synth1 also gets you to your destination, but maybe it takes a hell of a lot time to get there, and that's something you want to avoid if possible. :shrug: But my opinion is also that for some sounds, Synth1 will surely suck, while others will shine. That's with most synths, soft or not, they all have their sweet spot, and their weaknesses. Some do have more of those than others, though.
You're mixing things up. If you answer my post, please read it first. You went through many arguments based on assumptions of what I meant, yet this wasn't what I said.

I'm glad Hive doesn't sound like Sylenth1. There are objective measures to quality, and in those that count to me, Hive excels at. Other people may live by different standards, but then, some people perceive pitch corrected singing as a form of art while I don't. So it doesn't really matter if not everyone can appreciate what we did there.

HcDoom wrote:My only nitpick with Hive is that supersaw sounds with detune around 40-50% sound more plastic compared to competition synth. It has metallic sound to it, hard to explain. Also, whats wrong with attack with supersaw sounds? I played with phases, but it doesnt sound...right...
A sound example would be great to have. I don't know what "metallic" means in the context of supersaw sounds. I also don't know what's wrong with the attack. Is it too fast maybe?

fluffy_little_something wrote::D But even half a million is pretty decent for a single, recent synth :)
It pays the bills, but it isn't Diva. It's also way less after introduction offers, fees, advertisement and taxes.

Urs wrote:
HcDoom wrote:My only nitpick with Hive is that supersaw sounds with detune around 40-50% sound more plastic compared to competition synth. It has metallic sound to it, hard to explain. Also, whats wrong with attack with supersaw sounds? I played with phases, but it doesnt sound...right...
A sound example would be great to have. I don't know what "metallic" means in the context of supersaw sounds. I also don't know what's wrong with the attack. Is it too fast maybe?
To HcDoom, this is surprising. Maybe ears playing tricks? supersaw sounds good here, punchy, even sounds good when comparing to my Virus Ti.

One thing i dont understand how people can say Hive sounds metalic and Sylenth1 doesnt. Sylenth1 is really metalic and when it comes to detuned sound, it sounds awfully muddy at the high frequencies wich is one thing i really dislike. Also that type of detune gives the metalic sound.

Tho i have to admit i like the fact that Sylenth1 does give a bit more of detune (i think its Density right?) and the distortion effects are great.

To Urs, maybe an update with density or more indepth under the hood unison options would be great addition? kinda like serum or dune 2 has.

I must also say when i bought Hive it surely was only a complimentery synth, but after working on more projects i noticed that it became my go to synth. It just has this sound quality wich i was always looking for in other synths. Probably i was looking for a soft version of that lush sound that my virus gives for all the purposes like plucks, pads, keys. Not only for one or another type of sound for wich other synths can do pretty good obviously, but in other areas doesnt excel.

Hive has probably been my most frequently used synth this year. I also use Spire a lot and consider them complimentary despite the obvious crossover of features, they sound very different.

I can see how some may prefer Sylenth, they do sound a little different, for me not enough to warrant having or using both. I prefer Hive myself, i prefer its sound, i find it more fun to use and i like that it has more features and potential. I also appreciate the excellent u-he support, i have far more confidence in the future prospects and advancements of Hive than i do with Sylenth.

The Sylenth Killer debate has been done enough though and i don't think its really relevant to the OP. I do think that any good virtual set-up needs a go-to low-CPU VA synth, whether it be Hive or Sylenth or something else is a matter of personal preference.

mutantdog wrote: I also appreciate the excellent u-he support, i have far more confidence in the future prospects and advancements of Hive than i do with Sylenth.
This is a win for hive here. Sylenth1 v3 has been announced for months, but its still in beta and for Mac only white windows users are left off.

I own Hive and I can cook really nice sounds with it. Don't care if it sounds like Sylenth1 or not.

This demos/presets by Joseph Hollo giving an good example about the different sound. The interesting thing is that Hive sounds more pleasing a bit analog while Sylenth has this "typical" bright EDM/Trance sound of the last years.
Maybe this are the programming skills by Hollo... anyway it shows that both synth are very usable.

Return to “Instruments”