The Stubborn Smile - Instrumental Rock

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi there!

https://soundcloud.com/abiuslu/the-stubborn-smile

Hope you will like this and looking forward for feedback!

greetings from cologne

Hello

I felt that the middle section was the strongest with the beginning being the least strong. A different orchestration/voicing tonal character might have made the impact of the melody more euphoric/joyous...felt the melody deserved more prominence. It may have benefited from more separation from the other instruments...also it was almost expecting to have the melody/solo play along side/over the chordal outtro..... As you can tell it was all about the melody for me...stronger please!!!
Thanks for the listen.

Regards

Krzysztof

I enjoyed it. I thought it had a similar sound/feel to parts of the Porcupine Tree song "Time Flies", particularly in terms of the rhythm. In a Prog-rock context, I think this works very well.

Good work :)

Nice track. I always look for and click on guitar based songs here, especially in an instrumental/prog rock context.

Amp sim or mic'd amp? What gear/interface/preamp did you use?

great retro sounds, esp the guitars... i thought the mix lacked a little high end sparkle. enjoyable regardless. :tu:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Hey guys!

@krzys: as always, a few days after "finishing" the track, I do see that the mix is lacking, especially with regard to separation between lead and rythm tracks in the beginning. i will also think about laying the melody over the chords in the last section of the song. thanks for the detailed feedback!

@seismic1: Thanks! I really did listen a lot to procupine tree during the last year, and now that you have said it, i feel like a complete copycat :-).

@metallifux: Thank you! I used S-Gear Wayfairer on all guitar tracks in combination with Two Notes WOSIII. I use an old Focurite Saffire as an interface.

@layzer: Thank you! really missing high-end sparkle? maybe a matter of taste, cause when i turn this track up on my Adam FS7 i feel like it´s right at the edge with regard to high-end. still i will try and see what happens with different eqs on the master bus pushing the highs a little more.

Have a nice day all!

abi wrote: @layzer: Thank you! really missing high-end sparkle? maybe a matter of taste, cause when i turn this track up on my Adam FS7 i feel like it´s right at the edge with regard to high-end. still i will try and see what happens with different eqs on the master bus pushing the highs a little more.

Have a nice day all!
hey abi, i think it might only be the ride cymb that sound a tad low on the mix to me, hats and crash sound fine :)

Hey guys!

Thanks again for all your feedback! I´ve rearranged and remixed the track and for my taste incorporated all suggestions: indeed I like it much better now, what do you think of the new version?

have a nice day!

abi wrote:Hey guys!

Thanks again for all your feedback! I´ve rearranged and remixed the track and for my taste incorporated all suggestions: indeed I like it much better now, what do you think of the new version?

have a nice day!
i like the mix level more, but theres a little too much saturation around the 100-200hz freq bands making it sound mid-bassy. rides sound sparkly now :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

es rockt, alter, gefällt mir sehr gut... :tu:

@ TrekStar Vielen Dank, gut zu hören :-)

@ layzer what can i say - it is indeed somewhat bassy, although i´m not sure if i want to change it right now (also a tad tired of mixing this song). i´ll let it rest for a few days and turn back later, my ears cannot judge this thing at the moment anymore.

Thank you all for your contributions, it helped me to be a little more critical with this track and inspired me to make some additions/changes which really benefitted the song in my opinion!

greetings from cologne!

Return to “Music Cafe”