Glow - melodic uplifting trance

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Glow, track 6 of my album Organic|Digital is now on SoundCloud. All feedback welcome.

https://soundcloud.com/garryknight/glow

cool sounds! nice groove, however that ping sound seems a bit too "present"
its prob what you were after though. other than that excellent mix. enjoyed :tu:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Thanks for your feedback. :-)

Ping sound? Is there some particular time during the piece that it's most audible, or is it throughout the piece (as I suspect)?

There are about 6 layered plucks in there so I'm guessing you mean one of those. At the moment (and for the foreseeable future) I'm having to mix on my AKG 5500 headphones and my computer speakers, with a cheap pair of in-ear Sennheisers and an even cheaper pair of old Sony phones for comparison. It all sounds balanced in the mix to me, with all of the sounds where I want them but I expect some sounds will stand out more on other sound systems.

Anyway, with this one it's the overall sound and the groove that are important so thanks once again, and I'm glad you enjoyed it. :-)

garryknight wrote: Ping sound? Is there some particular time during the piece that it's most audible, or is it throughout the piece (as I suspect)?)
@ :48 , 1:04 , 1:20 , 1:36 , 1:52 , 2:08 and throughout.

only mentioned it because the volume levels across the spectrum are
fairly constant except for when those pings happen at around 10khz,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Layzer, you must have the ears of a bat - I hear no "pings". But then, I have the ears of a doughnut. :D
Anyway, good stuff. :tu:

Ayorinde wrote:Layzer, you must have the ears of a bat - I hear no "pings". But then, I have the ears of a doughnut. :D
na na na na na na na na na na batman!

i use Koss portapro's through a headphone amp with EQ
calibrated for the most natural sound across the spectrum.
i havent tried every set if phones out there, but these are
my long time favorite for comfort and wide dynamic range
casual listening on my notebook. (i use AKG 240's in the studio when i mix and record)

i dunno, i see it in the spec and hear it like a piercing, high pitch metallic "ping".

Great stuff! I really like good trance and this is just that. Mix was good IMO.

Nice track, but fyi I also hear the prominent ding even on crappy laptop speakers.

layzer wrote:
garryknight wrote: only mentioned it because the volume levels across the spectrum are
OK, thanks. I've identified what's happening at the times you quoted and it's one of the pluck sounds. You must be picking up harmonics as, if I solo the synth, it shows peaks from 430 to 588 Hz.

layzer wrote: only mentioned it because the volume levels across the spectrum are
I checked the times you mentioned and the only thing happening at all of them is this trance pluck: https://clyp.it/0c20hyqc

Maybe it doesn't need to be playing all the way through the piece :)

Ayorinde wrote: Anyway, good stuff. :tu:
Hezekiel wrote:Great stuff! I really like good trance and this is just that. Mix was good IMO.
jasco wrote:Nice track, but fyi I also hear the prominent ding even on crappy laptop speakers.
[/quote]

Oh, no! I'm going to have to go back and rename that audio event as "prominent ding.wav" :D OK, thanks :)

Thanks for your feedback, everyone.

I too liked the track. Nice soothing trance :)

And I have to agree with the comments of the ping sounds. It is very prominent on my HS-7 monitors. It stands out way above the rest of the mix. Is it really that plucked part that creates a harmonic? To me it sounds like a sound effect or digital cymbal like sound that has been set too high.

That's the only sound that's going on at the times layzer listed. And if he's hearing it at 10k while the notes are between 430 and 588 Hz then it's causing some loud upper harmonic (with some but not all equipment) that I can EQ out. Just got to make time to do it.

Anyway, I'll make sure by going through the tracks one at a time. Always tricky trying to fix something you can't actually hear :)

Ok. Good luck :)

When I do the final adjustment to my own mixes (and go into the mastering phase) I usually end up driving myself insane. There is always something that is not right, and I jump back and forth between mixing and mastering until I am about to throw up from my own music. Not having a properly treated room probably factors into this, but to me becoming skilled at mastering is pretty damn hard.

Thanks. I know that feeling :)

layzer wrote:
Ayorinde wrote:Layzer, you must have the ears of a bat - I hear no "pings". But then, I have the ears of a doughnut. :D
na na na na na na na na na na batman!

i use Koss portapro's through a headphone amp with EQ
calibrated for the most natural sound across the spectrum.
i havent tried every set if phones out there, but these are
my long time favorite for comfort and wide dynamic range
casual listening on my notebook. (i use AKG 240's in the studio when i mix and record)

i dunno, i see it in the spec and hear it like a piercing, high pitch metallic "ping".
You're right, it's pretty prominent. I'm actually surprised some don't hear it, i was under the impression that my limit of hearing was already below 10 kHz too. Still it's pretty piercing to my ears. But i'm kind of sensitive to higher frequencies anyway.

Return to “Music Cafe”