Audio drop outs with the USB powered Steinberg UR audio interfaces?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
chk071
KVRAF
23265 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Sun May 15, 2016 10:22 am

Hey,

there are already a couple of threads about this issue over at the Steinberg forums. Thought i'd create one here also, as i don't feel like the guys there are pretty responsive, and because i thought some people here could have experienced the same issue, and might, just might, have a solution

The issue is that, with my new UR12 interface, i get audio drop outs like every 30 seconds or so, for a couple of seconds... the sound stops, and after a couple of seconds, it starts again. As i already tried to change buffer size, sample rate, tried different USB ports, change energy settings in Windows, deactivate USB energy saving, deactivate the antivirus, and the numerous counter measures others tried, like disabling core parking, disabling hyper threading, and what not, i think it is not a performance issue, but rather some kind of driver issue, or incompatibility with certain hardware. The funny thing is, i only experience this on my desktop computer (which, coincidentally, is my main "DAW" of course...), when i plug in the UR12 into my laptop, everything is fine, and i don't get any audio drop outs. Obviously, what seemed to work for some people is putting load on the GPU, like running a game, or using a powered USB hub, or using another USB cable (i tried that, didn't work for me). I suspect the 2 latter to be other issues though, you never know what people consider as the same problem could be yet another problem.

These are the specs of my machine, for reference:

Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @ 3.30 GHz
ASUS Z87-K Mainboard
ASUS GTX 770 graphics card
8 GB DDR3 Ram @ 800 MHz

Did anyone experience the same problems with his UR interface? Maybe even solved the problem?

dsan@mail.com
KVRAF
3069 posts since 29 Sep, 2005

Re: Audio drop outs with the USB powered Steinberg UR audio interfaces?

Post Mon May 16, 2016 9:35 am

From what I'm reading, I tend to think it is performance related. It's possible you have a bad unit, but I doubt that. Maybe you can test it on a similar machine to yours??

Can you go through the laptop's settings and compare to the desktop? Do you, for example, have wifi disabled on the laptop and enabled on the desktop?

One thing I would try is to completely remove any traces of driver and software on the desktop. Be sure to restart the machine after un-installing.

Then start again fresh. If you are installing the drivers over the top of a previous install this can lead to problems.

Also, maybe try a different USB port - which, BTW, this is a USB 2 device. Do not plug it into a USB 3 port - causes problems doing so, and hopefully you just found an easy fix.

Good luck chk071 :tu:
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

chk071
KVRAF

Post Mon May 16, 2016 9:46 am

Hey, thanks for your help. I was able to solve the issue in the meantime with the hint suggested here: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1#p6464411 It indeed was the wi-fi on my desktop. My laptop also has wi-fi, but it didn't pose a problem there. It's really weird. Maybe it's driver/hardware chip related. I already posted it in the Steinberg forums too, so they can take notice. Obviously Yamaha have some problems reproducing the issue, that's why it takes so long to solve it for them. Gotta be few people having this issue though really.

tuantranaudio
KVRer
2 posts since 18 Jul, 2017

Post Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:13 am

I found that my audio interface - Steinberg UR22 mkII dropped by feature called "network attack blocker" of Kaspersky. This solution will do about 90% of the issue. For 100%, turn of the protection fuction!
https://youtu.be/qUG3wWsSON8
Last edited by tuantranaudio on Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:21 am, edited 4 times in total.

chk071
KVRAF

Post Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:24 am

Good to know. :tu:

Since I switched to a ASUS wi-fi card, I haven't had any dropouts anymore, so, in my case, it definitely was the wi-fi card.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”