TBProAudio: CS-3301 - Channel Strip Plugin for Windows and Mac OS X

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
CS-3301

Update to 1.2.2: Small GUI changes (Analog noise switch)

Update to 1.3.0:
- Small GUI changes
- Saturation pre/post filter switch added

Update to V1.3.2:
adds hold needle and small optimizations

this plugin sounds great! especially the EQ and saturation.

Thanks for the update.
There is one problem with saturation. Up to 60 is OK but after 60 it pumps dynamically.
So I didn't used it until I tried to use it on 50%-60% only. Someone else found the same behaviour on GS I think.
EQ should compress not expand I think.

Den* wrote:Thanks for the update.
There is one problem with saturation. Up to 60 is OK but after 60 it pumps dynamically.
So I didn't used it until I tried to use it on 50%-60% only. Someone else found the same behaviour on GS I think.
hmmm, i also read something, which sounded like it's related to automatic gain compensation (of the saturation).

Mr. Spock wrote:
hmmm, i also read something, which sounded like it's related to automatic gain compensation (of the saturation).
Hi
Gain compensation do not pump. This one pumps exactly like expander.
I mean I'm use only EQ, not compressor or gate. I'm talking about EQ only.
Last edited by Den* on Sun May 28, 2017 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kukla wrote:I really liked the GUI of CS-3301 and tried it on some tracks. I think I'll be waiting for more detailed reviews.

I like the way saturation sounds but I believe I hear a bit of pumping -as if a comp behind it- when the amount is over 60s ?

I can not get how the comp works actually.

and what does the "analog on" feature adds to sound ? Sorry If somebody mentioned before, I'll check the replies.

Thanks for the nice plugin.
So I was not the only one that heard this...

Den* wrote:
Mr. Spock wrote:
Hi
Gain compensation do not pump. This one pumps exactly like expander.
I mean I use only EQ, not compressor or gate. I talking about EQ only.
seems I misunderstood. besides that I just tried to replicate the problem without success. I just have occasional clicks when adjusting settings on EQ bands.

I created one audio test here:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/12648754-post108.html

24 bit files with Saturation plus analog noise, and without Saturation and analog noise.

- VST2/3: support for PreSonus::IGainReductionInfo

- GUI fix: analog off/on switched

- GUI update
- Meter refresh rate changed to 25ms
- Preset management
- Presets added
- Fix for default paths during load/save presets
- Activation procedure changed (preserving backward compatibility)

I saw this a year ago and thought "why would I ever want a channel strip? I can do all that even better with individual plugins". Since that time, I've bought Waves SSL E Channel and a lot of Softube plugins and many other EQs. I have come to appreciate the channel strip idea not so much for the sound but for the speed of editing. I don't have to open multiple plugins to do basic EQ, Gate and Compression. So after working with others for a while, I downloaded the demo of CS-3301. What's going on with the EQ? With similar settings, it sounds so much smoother than the Wave SSL EQ. It's a little puzzling actually. I can take the HF at 12Khz all the way up and it never sounds like too much. Is it really adding that much EQ change? It throws me off a little because it does sound so musical. I'm kind of an EQ junkie. I keep buying them to find one that "feels" right, is musical and is quick to get good results. With the CS-3301, I can get better results faster than I can with the dozens of other EQs I have. I've also come to appreciate the "no spectrum or graph idea. I spend waaay too much time looking at the waveforms instead of just listening to the sound. This is a big workflow speedup. I went back through some mixes and swapped it in place of a lot of SSL E Channels. I was able to find problems, make corrections and get a very open sound in a fraction of the time it took with the Waves. Given enough time, I can get them to sound similar, but when I'm mixing, speed is everything. The controls work perfectly. No odd jumps or jerkiness. The EQ and Saturation are the super strong points to the CS-3301. I'm seriously thinking of picking this up, even though I just spent way too much money on other plugins and some new mic preamps in the studio.

Couple note:
1) The gate could really use a range control, or even a three way switch to set how much it reduces the signal. That would be super helpful while mixing drums. I usually gate the toms, but not completely. I like a bit of leakage. I hope they consider this in an update

2) Odd issue in Nuendo 8.1. Disabling the plugin on the insert does not disable it. I have to open the gui and disable it there for it to be truly disabled. I've never seen that sort of thing before.

3) What type of filters are in the EQ? They sound great. Are they digital or analog modeled? Really makes no difference to me other than just wanting to know.

4) In a previous post, it was stated that a new version is in the making. I'd hate to buy this and find out in a month that something better is out and I have to buy it again. Will there be an upgrade path?

5) Maybe two-three different comp types? Standard VCA, Opto, FET? Not super important. The comp work ok. It's just a bit bland. I'm sure I will always use another comp in addition.

Q shape bug?

Doing more tests on this and comparing to other EQs I use. It seems the Q setting is off by one. Maybe there isn't a standard for Q, but with a Waves SSL or DMG Equality set for Q:2, CS-3301 has to be set to Q:1 to match their Q. I loaded up all the plugins and Span. I ran pink noise through them all and compared. CS-3301 definitely has a different Q shape compared to other plugins with the same Q setting. Does anyone know if Q has a standard reference?

As I posted above:
2) Odd issue in Nuendo 8.1. Disabling the plugin on the insert does not disable it. I have to open the gui and disable it there for it to be truly disabled. I've never seen that sort of thing before.
Disabling it via the insert shuts the meter off but does not stop the audio being processed. I'm very surprised no one has come across this.

trmupstage wrote: 2) Odd issue in Nuendo 8.1. Disabling the plugin on the insert does not disable it. I have to open the gui and disable it there for it to be truly disabled. I've never seen that sort of thing before.
This is a bug in the VST2 plugins, sorry. Will be fixed with next version. VST3 is working correctly.

trmupstage wrote: I saw this a year ago and thought "why would I ever want a channel strip? I can do all that even better with individual plugins". Since that time, I've bought Waves SSL E Channel and a lot of Softube plugins and many other EQs. I have come to appreciate the channel strip idea not so much for the sound but for the speed of editing. I don't have to open multiple plugins to do basic EQ, Gate and Compression. So after working with others for a while, I downloaded the demo of CS-3301. What's going on with the EQ? With similar settings, it sounds so much smoother than the Wave SSL EQ. It's a little puzzling actually. I can take the HF at 12Khz all the way up and it never sounds like too much. Is it really adding that much EQ change? It throws me off a little because it does sound so musical. I'm kind of an EQ junkie. I keep buying them to find one that "feels" right, is musical and is quick to get good results. With the CS-3301, I can get better results faster than I can with the dozens of other EQs I have. I've also come to appreciate the "no spectrum or graph idea. I spend waaay too much time looking at the waveforms instead of just listening to the sound. This is a big workflow speedup. I went back through some mixes and swapped it in place of a lot of SSL E Channels. I was able to find problems, make corrections and get a very open sound in a fraction of the time it took with the Waves. Given enough time, I can get them to sound similar, but when I'm mixing, speed is everything. The controls work perfectly. No odd jumps or jerkiness. The EQ and Saturation are the super strong points to the CS-3301. I'm seriously thinking of picking this up, even though I just spent way too much money on other plugins and some new mic preamps in the studio.

Thank you very much vor this very nice review :)
trmupstage wrote: Couple note:
1) The gate could really use a range control, or even a three way switch to set how much it reduces the signal. That would be super helpful while mixing drums. I usually gate the toms, but not completely. I like a bit of leakage. I hope they consider this in an update

Yes, we will consider this. Let me think what we can do here.
trmupstage wrote: 2) Odd issue in Nuendo 8.1. Disabling the plugin on the insert does not disable it. I have to open the gui and disable it there for it to be truly disabled. I've never seen that sort of thing before.

Yes, this is a bug in the VST2 plugins, will be fixed with next version.
trmupstage wrote: 3) What type of filters are in the EQ? They sound great. Are they digital or analog modeled? Really makes no difference to me other than just wanting to know.

Yes, filter are "analog" modeled, "decramped" near Nyquist.
trmupstage wrote: 4) In a previous post, it was stated that a new version is in the making. I'd hate to buy this and find out in a month that something better is out and I have to buy it again. Will there be an upgrade path?

Currently no upgrade is planed.

trmupstage wrote: 5) Maybe two-three different comp types? Standard VCA, Opto, FET? Not super important. The comp work ok. It's just a bit bland. I'm sure I will always use another comp in addition.

We may consider this, but CS-3301 comp is designed as workhorse...

Return to “Effects”