Retrigger in Spire?

Official support for: reveal-sound.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is there retrigger ( oscillators phase reset ) option in Spire ?

Yes. Set the "phase" control in the oscillator section to any value other than 0-29, and the phase gets retriggered. You can see the start phase in the graphical display of the waveform then, with the yellow line.

But doing it in a unison mode, actually requires more work.

I was kinda (more than kinda :) ) PO'd when I figured that phase reset (as described in the user manual and here) doesn't work in unison mode (instead producing some weird phasing effect).

But, setting the phase to 400 (or just somewhere a bit left of 12 o' clock) and using the Constant 50% modifier set all the way to the left, seems to take care of that problem rather nicely.

Phat bass lines and leads, here we come. :)

I'm confused now. Why would phase retriggering not cause phasing in unison? If the phase is the same for all unison voices, and you detune them, it's natural that there'll be phasing.

chk071 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 5:02 pm I'm confused now. Why would phase retriggering not cause phasing in unison? If the phase is the same for all unison voices, and you detune them, it's natural that there'll be phasing.
Yeah, good point for clarification actually.

I was referring to a situation where you set the detune to 0 and you don't want any phasing (just a stacked OSC that has more punch).

I don't see the difference to setting the phase to about 30 though. To my understanding, you are doing the same thing, by first setting the phase parameter to 400, and then dialing it back by assigning it a constant value, which comes out the same way as if you set it to 30, I think.

Here's a audio snippet, first 4 notes with phase set to 30, and then with phase set to 400, modulated with constant 50%, as you described (unison is set to 4 voices):

https://soundcloud.com/chk-sound/spire-phase-retrigger

I think it's the same.

Ok, I've decided not to reply to you last night (especially since I had work to do, *hashtagstayathomeblahblahblah*). I just had time to hear your SC clip and perceive that what you wrote was correct.

But I know I'm not crazy and, even though I'm not spectacularly brilliant, also not an idiot either. :D

Played with it more this morning ....

Check it out: if you set the phase to 45 (where it also doesn't produce the phasing effect) and then bring it down to 30 - it behaves the way it does in your clip. If you set the phase to 25 (in which case it does produce the phasing effect) and then bring it up to 30 - the phasing effect stays.

I guess previously, I was always bringing it up (which is kinda more intuitive to me .... if anything can be intuitive in Spire's phase retriggering system), so I couldn't notice.

Guess you learn something new every day. :)

And now ....

I leave it up to you to discover that, what I wrote, works only on early May Sundays during a global world lockdown, or something along those lines. :D

If you want a perfectly stacked oscillators, you should set the phase knob to 30. As soon as you set the phase to a higher value, the stacked oscillators phase changes, which is a Spire's exclusive feature. Didn't know it until now, so great! :party:

Ghost Dog wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 7:53 am I leave it up to you to discover that, what I wrote, works only on early May Sundays during a global world lockdown, or something along those lines. :D
:D

TBH, I've noticed a few weird things as well, when I messed with phase settings and automation... not sure if it wasn't my fault though. But, it appears to me that there are some bugs in Spire which were never discovered. Not the first time I've come along some oddities.

IMHO, Spire is, in some regards, the best software synth available (the snappy envelopes, first and foremost).

On the other hand, sometimes it seems kinda idyosincratic and half-finished.

Totally agree. :)

Ghost Dog wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 1:32 pm IMHO, Spire is, in some regards, the best software synth available (the snappy envelopes, first and foremost).

On the other hand, sometimes it seems kinda idyosincratic and half-finished.
Wow. That makes it even closer to real hardware! ;)

Return to “Reveal Sound”