KONTAKT GUI Maker in development [RELEASED]

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Kontakt Kontakt GUI Maker

rigidaudio wrote:
Shabdahbriah wrote:
rigidaudio wrote: The idea was to let the user load an existing script and let him change knobs and sliders and stuff like that. But yes - I´ve quickly realized this could result in too much hassle / trouble.
Please don't remove this feature. In addition to your other plans/features, THIS one is vital for me. I have scripts that I just want to hide/change/rearrange certain elements of, and add other elements to, without having to rewrite anything/much.

Great work thus far. Thanks. :tu:
This feature will still be included, no worries :)
(KGM reads out all script data of interest and leaves the rest untouched - this will remain in the future).
8) Thank you. :D

FR: The ability to build in select-able backgrounds, (however many are practical from YOUR standpoint), via drop-down menu or buttons. I'd like between 2-6, personally.

I want to provide different UI's for different users 'tastes', e.g. photo-realistic gear/Reaktor-esque blocks/Ableton-esque flat 2D, abstract/artsy, etc., OR even just a change on colour/tone/texture/hue, etc., without having to make/provide several different iterations of the same instrument, that are loaded seperately.

1. Whether that is just a selection of different colors/images (backgrounds) within a certain panel design where the knobs/sliders (et al) remain the same.

2. OR (alternately) allow for all elements to change with regard to the 'style', while maintaining their respective 'positions' on the interface.

3. If possible, change those elements positions as well, if the background/design aesthetic warrants/dictates.

Doable? :)
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Shabdahbriah wrote:
rigidaudio wrote:
Shabdahbriah wrote:
rigidaudio wrote: The idea was to let the user load an existing script and let him change knobs and sliders and stuff like that. But yes - I´ve quickly realized this could result in too much hassle / trouble.
Please don't remove this feature. In addition to your other plans/features, THIS one is vital for me. I have scripts that I just want to hide/change/rearrange certain elements of, and add other elements to, without having to rewrite anything/much.

Great work thus far. Thanks. :tu:
This feature will still be included, no worries :)
(KGM reads out all script data of interest and leaves the rest untouched - this will remain in the future).
8) Thank you. :D

FR: The ability to build in select-able backgrounds, (however many are practical from YOUR standpoint), via drop-down menu or buttons. I'd like between 2-6, personally.

I want to provide different UI's for different users 'tastes', e.g. photo-realistic gear/Reaktor-esque blocks/Ableton-esque flat 2D, abstract/artsy, etc., OR even just a change on colour/tone/texture/hue, etc., without having to make/provide several different iterations of the same instrument, that are loaded seperately.

1. Whether that is just a selection of different colors/images (backgrounds) within a certain panel design where the knobs/sliders (et al) remain the same.

2. OR (alternately) allow for all elements to change with regard to the 'style', while maintaining their respective 'positions' on the interface.

3. If possible, change those elements positions as well, if the background/design aesthetic warrants/dictates.

Doable? :)
Entirely doable.

That idea is actually pretty nice! Although for now, all the basic stuff has to be done first like supporting the various ui_elements that KONTAKT provides (not only sliders like in the current KGM beta).

Definately noted! :) Thanks.

Another quick question, you obviously have a serious business outside of this development, will this get continual development in the future, i only ask because i suspect that this could easily become the standard for developers creating for Kontakt, much like Synthedit became the standard for Windows VST development for years (Until Jeff pretty much stopped advancing it any further)
Duh

bungle wrote:Another quick question, you obviously have a serious business outside of this development, will this get continual development in the future, i only ask because i suspect that this could easily become the standard for developers creating for Kontakt, much like Synthedit became the standard for Windows VST development for years (Until Jeff pretty much stopped advancing it any further)
What other business does he have? I only see Kontakt instruments and GUI maker.

bungle wrote:Another quick question, you obviously have a serious business outside of this development, will this get continual development in the future, i only ask because i suspect that this could easily become the standard for developers creating for Kontakt, much like Synthedit became the standard for Windows VST development for years (Until Jeff pretty much stopped advancing it any further)
Definately. There a already a lot of ideas planned for KGM - all waiting to be implemented:

- One template NKI instrument for KONTAKT 4
- One template NKI instrument for KONTAKT 5 (w. some of the new effects for example)
(Basically, you only need to get together the samples and import them into the instrument & map them).

- These template instruments will come with most important things set up and ready to be modified:
  • 3x2 versatile Filter for LP/BP and HP modes
    2x LFO (one synced to host tempo)
    Pitchbend range
    Cutoff control
    Volume, Filter and Modulation-Envelope
    Velocity to Volume / Cutoff routing
    Modwheel Assignments
    Typical (most used) insert effects like Delay, Reverb, Chorus etc.
    Sample start-point modulation via Velocity or fully random
    Effect bypass switches
    Random note pitch ("analog drift")
    Panning modulation
    Polyphonic or monophonic Note sequencer
    Effects sequencing
- Graphical elements dragged from the KGM browser can have template script code or link to an existing script file (stored in an user-expandable "Library" folder on disk)
- These graphical files "feature" extended descriptional text files. Basically we are using the default required text files that describe ui elements KONTAKT needs and add e.g. "Is Label: no/yes", "Is Text Input: no/yes" and so on. If you add "Is Menu: yes" for example, a stitched PNG file with like preset names will be converted into a clickable menu.

Or you can add (override) parameters, like: "help: "this is the help text"" or "default value: 500000".

- A big library of template PNG knobs, sliders (vertical and horizontal), buttons and switches in a modern style that you can assign template scripts to taken from the script library (we call them "Actions" for now):

These scripts can be modified and/or exchanged by your own, if you prefer. Currently, these are all programmed to work with the K4/K5 template NKI Instrument. So, if you need a filter cutoff control for your instrument, drag and drop a knob or slider to the interface that you like or import your own and then assign the "filter cutoff" action to it and you are good to go.
EDIT: You will also be able to decide if an ui_element acts globally or just for the currently selected patch (KONTAKT group).

- Support for 5 main script files (tabbed)
- Support for different wallpapers (basically one single wallpaper where the vertical offset will be changed)

- The possibility to "3Dize" PNG files in the future which looks like this:

(Only works for circular knobs, though). You can adjust the 3d shape, radius and length.
KGM will automatically update and render these into PNG files to be used with KONTAKT. No more steps needed.

Oh, and as long as there is demand for such a software it will be improved and developed further, yes :-)

3dize is of no interest to me personally whatsoever, however the actions are interesting, an online ctalogue by users or even built in would be great, again this is another reason why using and learning Synthedit was so good.
Duh

bungle wrote:3dize is of no interest to me personally whatsoever
Me two. I can already do that in Blender.

SampleScience wrote:
Me two. I can already do that [...].
+1. Though granting, some users may find it useful.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

bungle wrote:3dize is of no interest to me personally whatsoever, however the actions are interesting, an online ctalogue by users or even built in would be great, again this is another reason why using and learning Synthedit was so good.
I agree!

Having modules that did certain functions was excellent. But for now Actions are only plain text files with some script code in it. But users could share these easily (online).

Shabdahbriah wrote:
SampleScience wrote:
Imagine you designed your whole interface and a client asks you to make it kind of "more 3d".
You just press some buttons and it will look "more 3d" - :hyper: :D

rigidaudio wrote:
Shabdahbriah wrote:
SampleScience wrote:
Imagine you designed your whole interface and a client asks you to make it kind of "more 3d".
Hmmm... I believe the expression is; "more cowbell", but, point noted. :wink:

Shabdahbriah wrote:
rigidaudio wrote:
Shabdahbriah wrote:
SampleScience wrote:
Hmmm... I believe the expression is; "more cowbell", but, point noted. :wink:
Okay, somewhat true. But a cowbell is a good thing. More cowbell is even better :tu:

No 3D knobs for me, thank you. I'm getting flashbacks to a certain unnamed VSTi.

But if you do it, I guess you will need to be able to set the vertical and horizontal 3D offsets, depending on where the knob is, relative to the centre of the GUI. The further away the more 3D it would be.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

DarkStar wrote:No 3D knobs for me, thank you. I'm getting flashbacks to a certain unnamed VSTi.

But if you do it, I guess you will need to be able to set the vertical and horizontal 3D offsets, depending on where the knob is, relative to the centre of the GUI. The further away the more 3D it would be.
Exactly. That offset will be set automatically. Now i think i realize, why most of you say "no 3d knobs, please".
Of course that 3d feature will adapt the 3d position/origin for each slider to make it look realistic.

Nearly a whole page of 3Dize, and nobody wants it hahahaha
Any news on OSX support, so i can get on board.
Any thoughts on more complicated scripting add ins in the future, might be worth considering, things like sequencers and so on all need to be scripted, but if you could just drag over a sequencer and re theme it, bam, huge huge potential.
Duh

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”