Android 7.0 (Nougat) any improvements in audio / touch latency...?

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Does anybody know if the audio or touch latency has improved between Android Marshmallow (6.x) and Android Nougat (7.0)...?

bump

No idea, but, TBH, i doubt that it is high on their agenda. You may have heard though that Google is about to merge their Android OS with Chrome OS, for the sake of a universal OS called Google Andromeda: http://www.techradar.com/news/software/ ... ow-1329834 If that brings anything new on the table in terms of audio, no idea either. I would really say that it is also a question of the adoption of the OS by audio application developers. iOS seems to be much more adopted in general. In fact, there's probably no need for Google to change anything regarding audio latency, when noone uses the OS for critical in that regard tasks. That's how it is, i guess. Neither Android nor Chrome OS are real OS's for professional work in my eyes.

Android 7.1 has some significant touch latency improvements according to release notes, but I have no way to compare or to test if they are good enough.

And regarding audio latency - why would there be a problem with an external audio interface?

hyperscientist wrote: And regarding audio latency - why would there be a problem with an external audio interface?
How would Android support the audio interface? There won't be drivers or anything for the OS. I'm not aware of any hardware manufacturers which provides support for Android for their interface either.

chk071 wrote:
hyperscientist wrote: And regarding audio latency - why would there be a problem with an external audio interface?
How would Android support the audio interface? There won't be drivers or anything for the OS. I'm not aware of any hardware manufacturers which provides support for Android for their interface either.
There is no support by developers for IOS either, it is not needed as long as the device is class compliant, Class compliant USB audio interfaces have been supported in Android since v5, some apps even have their own USB audio driver.
Duh

I see. Thought Android as a platform for such things was vastly abandoned.

«» Music everywhere.. | Bitwig & Kushview Element user «»

Good info! Thank you.

I imagine that if Google successfully builds a usable united OS from Chrome and Android, developers might start looking at it as potential professional audio platform to work on.

I was hoping for it since years but gave up and i think it will never come close to iOS.
Even windows 10 lacks innovative multi-touch apps.
I think fragmentation and piracy might be the biggest downsides here.

Cinebient wrote:I was hoping for it since years but gave up and i think it will never come close to iOS.
Even windows 10 lacks innovative multi-touch apps.
I think fragmentation and piracy might be the biggest downsides here.

Right. That's true. I've been using Windows 10, combining applications... Sometimes I create custom touch interfaces in Max MSP to control plugins or other software programs.

Windows 10 + Bitwig = 100% Multitouch!
«» Music everywhere.. | Bitwig & Kushview Element user «»

n0j0e wrote:Windows 10 + Bitwig = 100% Multitouch!
I looked into it on a friends windows device but for me it´s still a half baked mixture....maybe they improved it now?
What i mean are REAL multi touch optimized apps like ThumbJam, Borderlands Granular, Patterning, Animoog, Finger Fiddle, Samplr, Mitosynth etc.
Do Bitwig offer something like this.
Sure there are a few great things to control via Bitwig but i mean more apps, synth, tools which where created with a touch optimized GUI.
Turning several knobs at the same time on synths, great on screen virtual keys like Model 15 which you can play even on a tiny phone more expressive (no chords of course) like on any keyboard.
There are a lot of tools in the desktop world which have amazing sound engines but they lack the performance and innovations i saw on some multi-touch iOS apps.
If some iOS developers would port their tools to windows 10 i would go out today and buy me an surface pro (or whatever).
But i think iOS will hold the crown here for a very long time (or forever :D ).
IOS is crippled itself but damn, some awesome tools which give me better results in a more fun and musical way to interact with sounds.
I just have the feeling there is no interest or market for these kinds of apps on the desktop platform. In general the desktop platform feels old and stuck in the past a bit.
Also developing for a fragmentated hardware and software might be impossible for independent developers.
We will see what the future brings but i think i will slowly migrate back to iOS if it grows further and use the desktop just for a big DAW and some great FX.

The absolute ridiculousness of Windows 10
I bought a WIN 10 tablet for live synth duties, nearly every application is near unusable with touchscreen, including Maschine 2, why do i mention Maschine 2, because Kore 2 by the same company Native Instruments, now discontinued for a lot of years works flawlessly and has become my live platform.
How maddening, out of date software works, modern software seems to get worse and worse on touch !!
Duh

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”