Synapse Audio Minimoog emulation "The Legend" for VST/AU and RE released!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Legend

Teksonik wrote:
chk071 wrote: I think about everyone who fiddles with synths understands "snappiness" though, or at least should know remotely what it means.
I think most of us know the term Snappy has as much meaning as "Warm" or "Punchy". :wink:
As Nielzie said, it's quite a common term for the envelope behavior though. "Punchy" is almost the same, but could also mean that the synth has a lot of low end, or the unison sounds wide and broad. :hihi:

I find i get the most out of the filter envelopes when i need a snappy sound. A major part plays the slope here (for me).
I could compare it best with throwing a huge stone in the water and the following sound.
Linear evolving amplitudes doesn't sound snappy. Even when they are fast as hell. It's all about the slope in volume and filter frequency.
What i'm talking? I don't know! :D

I just advise everyone to wait for the Demo and give it a good tryout with an open mind.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Snappy" or not, the envelopes in Legend behave almost exactly like a hardware Model D envelope should, because it is an emulation. Anyway, I do think they are "snappy" enough. Is a Model D "snappy"?. Richard was very deep when developing that part of the synth and even used two different units to model (early and late).

But yeah, just try the demo with an open mind. It's really worth it.
Last edited by Yorrrrrr on Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:37 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Teksonik wrote:I just advise everyone to wait for the Demo and give it a good tryout with an open mind.
Yes.....BUT WHEN?? :x :wink:

Cinebient wrote:
Teksonik wrote:I just advise everyone to wait for the Demo and give it a good tryout with an open mind.
Soon :)
Wavetables for DUNE2/3, Blofeld, IL Harmor, Hive and Serum etc: http://charlesdickens.neocities.org/
£10 for lifetime updates including wavetable editor for Windows.

Music: https://soundcloud.com/markholt

Cinebient wrote:I find i get the most out of the filter envelopes when i need a snappy sound. A major part plays the slope here (for me).
I could compare it best with throwing a huge stone in the water and the following sound.
Linear evolving amplitudes doesn't sound snappy. Even when they are fast as hell. It's all about the slope in volume and filter frequency.
That's not true IMO. Anyone who tried Synthmaster will know that, even with exponential envelope curves, the envelopes in that synth aren't exactly "snappy". Bulent also admitted that, and announced faster envelopes in future versions of Synthmaster. I don't know if the version which "fixes" that has already been released. Even with linear slopes, envelope behavior can be snappy. It's true though that exponential is snappier.

Dune 2's envelopes weren't exactly snappy before the release which introduced "analog" envelopes either.

chk071 wrote:Dune 2's envelopes weren't exactly snappy before the release which introduced "analog" envelopes either.
AFAIK, DUNE 2.5's "analog" envelopes are modelled to be closest to a Korg Monopoly. Legend's should be something similar, as Richard stated in the past that he has found similarities between the ones in Minimoog D/Monopoly/MS-20.
Last edited by Yorrrrrr on Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.

I'm interested in how it will compare against the good old Minimonsta that I still use for my MM-like sounds and which I especially like for its low cpu usage (but without zero delay feedback bla bla)? :)
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

chk071 wrote:
Cinebient wrote:I find i get the most out of the filter envelopes when i need a snappy sound. A major part plays the slope here (for me).
That's not true IMO. Anyone who tried Synthmaster will know that, even with exponential envelope curves, the envelopes in that synth aren't exactly "snappy". Bulent also admitted that, and announced faster envelopes in future versions of Synthmaster. I don't know if the version which "fixes" that has already been released. Even with linear slopes, envelope behavior can be snappy. It's true though that exponential is snappier.

Dune 2's envelopes weren't exactly snappy before the release which introduced "analog" envelopes either.
Maybe but i mean in general you will get more snappy sound out of exponential envelopes. I think analog synth are always working this way.
Maybe i'm wrong. But i think also we all know what is meant with a snappy sound :P

cytospur wrote:
Cinebient wrote:
In this case "soon" should mean VERY soon if nothing happens that causes a delay (which could always happen)...
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote:
cytospur wrote:
Cinebient wrote:
In this case "soon" should mean VERY soon if nothing happens that causes a delay (which could always happen)...
I know. I read the same as you on the beta forum :wink:
Wavetables for DUNE2/3, Blofeld, IL Harmor, Hive and Serum etc: http://charlesdickens.neocities.org/
£10 for lifetime updates including wavetable editor for Windows.

Music: https://soundcloud.com/markholt

Well, for some developers "soon" seems to correspond to some months or even a year and obviously it will not take that long in this case...
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Elektronisch wrote:There is nothing wrong not owning it and expressing the opinion about the emulation. I dont care how close to Minimoog synth does sound to be honest. Im not saying that Monark is ultimate reference to Moog emulation, i just express the feeling i get, the sound i hear. And even patches may sound close from The Legend, but the sound itself is not. And not that its not like Moog, but it lacks the depth, the "realnes" in the sound (sorry cant think of any other word), the presence. Tho i may be wrong, its only few patches.
Right so if you don't care how close it sounds to the Model D, then your argument/opinion just does not stand up to any real scrutiny? You have never used a real Model D. You have never used The Legend apart from listening to a Youtube demo which many have said doesn't really show what this synth is capable of. You can't use Monark as a point of reference, based on other people's opinions on close close the emulation is, you need to use the Model D as the reference point. I think Sonic State will love The Legend if they ever get their hands on it. It sounds very real almost like they are real live circuits running inside the GUI.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Ingonator wrote:Well, for some developers "soon" seems to correspond to some months or even a year and obviously it will not take that long in this case...
Oh good, so its soon then, not soon.

Glad we got that sorted. :tu:

Return to “Instruments”