Tone2 Saurus2...The Great Underrated?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
fluffy_little_something
Banned
12897 posts since 5 Jun, 2012

Post Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:56 am

flakes2 wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:...accusing me of trolling, hating Tone2, and what not)...
Fact is that you've been trolling in every single tone2 thread that has appeared during the last year. Everyone can read it.
I should contact the moderators of this forum about your behaviour
You are wrong. I don't remember writing in Tone2 threads except those on Saurus and Electra, which are the only two synths of theirs that are of interest to me, which is why I keep an eye on their development.

Yeah, go and run to the moderators, but here is your claim for everyone to read. You will be proven wrong...

fluffy_little_something
Banned
12897 posts since 5 Jun, 2012

Post Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:07 am

I just reported the user flakes2 to the moderators because of his ongoing harassment and threats per PM.

User avatar
flakes2
KVRist
179 posts since 29 Nov, 2012 from My home is my castle

Post Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:44 am

Then quickly hurry up and edit your troll posts that you did to in all tone2 threads during the last years
Hint for finding your troll comments:
Just enter "fluffy_little_something" and "tone2" to google

chk071
KVRAF
31653 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:51 am

I think you should relax, and let the mods do the moderation work.

fluffy_little_something
Banned
12897 posts since 5 Jun, 2012

Post Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:46 am

flakes2 wrote:Then quickly hurry up and edit your troll posts that you did to in all tone2 threads during the last years
Hint for finding your troll comments:
Just enter "fluffy_little_something" and "tone2" to google
I don't need to edit anything, I know what I have written and stick to it. And none of it is against the KVR rules, let alone any laws as you suggested in your pm.

Out of curiosity I did the Google search, which yielded nothing to support your claim.

Makes me wonder if you are just creating this whole pseudo-discussion in order to keep bumping this thread...

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
20758 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:14 am

I don't have a horse in this race but comparing the sound of the original Saurus to Saurus 2, the latter definitely sounds a little different. Better or worse is subjective so I'm not going to go there. Only reason I won't be getting Saurus 2 is, outside of Icarus, Tone 2 synth libraries don't do well for me. Probably because of all the sounds already out there and targeted to an audience that has no use for 70s and 80s retro. But I think the synth sounds fine. If I needed another synth, just for the sake of making music, I'd get it. But I don't. So I'll be passing.

FTR, Tone 2 synths have a definite character to them that make them easily recognizable. I like their sound. Some people don't.

YMMV

User avatar
Doc Brown
KVRist
479 posts since 13 May, 2012 from Minnesota

Post Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:17 am

How is Icarus as far as wavetable synths go? It's the only Tone2 synth that I find intriguing. I have Saurus v1 and I like it though I wouldn't consider it to have a warm analog sound though it does sound nice.

fluffy_little_something
Banned
12897 posts since 5 Jun, 2012

Post Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:37 am

wagtunes wrote:I don't have a horse in this race but comparing the sound of the original Saurus to Saurus 2, the latter definitely sounds a little different. Better or worse is subjective so I'm not going to go there. Only reason I won't be getting Saurus 2 is, outside of Icarus, Tone 2 synth libraries don't do well for me. Probably because of all the sounds already out there and targeted to an audience that has no use for 70s and 80s retro. But I think the synth sounds fine. If I needed another synth, just for the sake of making music, I'd get it. But I don't. So I'll be passing.

FTR, Tone 2 synths have a definite character to them that make them easily recognizable. I like their sound. Some people don't.

YMMV
I suppose the ultimate question is, does it sound analog? After all, that's what it is marketed as. And if so, which hardware does it sound most similar to (I know it is not an emulation of any specific hardware, which I actually like)? I mean, it does sound clearly different compared to Diva, which is often considered as the standard for analog.

himalaya
KVRAF
5518 posts since 23 Mar, 2006 from pendeLondonmonium

Post Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:09 pm

fluffy_little_something wrote:
I suppose the ultimate question is, does it sound analog?
Yes, it does.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
20758 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:16 pm

fluffy_little_something wrote:
wagtunes wrote:I don't have a horse in this race but comparing the sound of the original Saurus to Saurus 2, the latter definitely sounds a little different. Better or worse is subjective so I'm not going to go there. Only reason I won't be getting Saurus 2 is, outside of Icarus, Tone 2 synth libraries don't do well for me. Probably because of all the sounds already out there and targeted to an audience that has no use for 70s and 80s retro. But I think the synth sounds fine. If I needed another synth, just for the sake of making music, I'd get it. But I don't. So I'll be passing.

FTR, Tone 2 synths have a definite character to them that make them easily recognizable. I like their sound. Some people don't.

YMMV
I suppose the ultimate question is, does it sound analog? After all, that's what it is marketed as. And if so, which hardware does it sound most similar to (I know it is not an emulation of any specific hardware, which I actually like)? I mean, it does sound clearly different compared to Diva, which is often considered as the standard for analog.
It does sound analog but honestly, I can't place it. I'd have to spend a good hour listening to demos. Maybe I'll do that tonight since I have nothing better to do.

himalaya
KVRAF
5518 posts since 23 Mar, 2006 from pendeLondonmonium

Post Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:44 pm

It doesn't have to be placed. Saurus has a lovely analog sound which can provide a variety of some gorgeous vintage sounding patches, including some lovely sounding string machines.

Here's a few vintage-style demos from my Saurus 1 days:

Kraftvolt

Synthepop


These were inspired by Tangerine Dream:
Tangerine

TOTEMVOLT

Dream Of Fluffy Arpeggios and Canned Tangerines
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

fluffy_little_something
Banned
12897 posts since 5 Jun, 2012

Post Sun Sep 03, 2017 1:52 pm

Some very nice sounds there :tu:

User avatar
wagtunes
KVRAF
20758 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:48 pm

Well, I've been listening to about an hour of demos so far and Saurus 2 sounds like everything and nothing. It still has that Tone 2 shiny, plastic coating to its sound, though not as bad as Electra 2 and Rayblaster. Icarus, IMO, is still the best sounding Tone 2 synth and the least "Tone 2 sounding" of them all.

Having said that, I like the Saurus 2 sound. I just don't see a need for it with everything else I own and I don't see it suddenly becoming a big seller for me like synths like Falcon, Omnisphere, Zebra 2 and Softube Modular, which sell through the roof. Softube Moduar is a total surprise to me. Crappy browser (Oh wait, no browser) and no way to load FXP or FXB in some DAWs. Hell. I needed to put a warning label on the sales page in red "Make sure you can load these before buying" with a sample patch to download because the support requests were off the charts.

But I digress. I am not knocking Tone 2. I own 4 of their synths. If I didn't like the way they sounded, I wouldn't have bought them. But there is a cleanness and sterility about them that I can't put my finger on that makes them sound, well, like Tone 2 synths. I don't know if it's some internal EQ or compression or what. But I can tell a Tone 2 synth a mile away. And I can't say that about very many synths. Whether or not that's good or bad I guess depends on your perspective.

Bottom Line: To me, Tone 2 synths sound more modern than vintage. And I don't associate "analog" with modern sounding synths.

YMMV

TIMT
KVRian
936 posts since 8 Mar, 2009

Post Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:31 pm

The weird group delay shit (their so called psycho acoustic modelling)that is on all of their products pretty much ruins the bass,so they are relatively useless for that below about 80-90hz("useless"might be me projecting a bit.i'm just not that big a fan of "slow"bass),but they are cool if you are looking for something tremendously artificial sounding.i've always found that Allpass filters and anything that imparts a group delay and doesn't modulate over time has a very artificial,plastic aesthetic to them

I've only tried Gladiator,Nemesis and that awful fx plugin they did,so it may have improved since then i don't know(the audio demos would suggest otherwise)it would be nice if they at least made it optional as Gladiator is a pretty capable synth
I

User avatar
LeVzi
KVRAF
4565 posts since 8 Jul, 2008 from UK

Post Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:46 pm

If it's authentic analog sounds you are after then Saurus 2 was designed to bring that.

How it compares I cannot comment as ive never cared about how older analog gear can be emulated in the digital world, but I know a lot of you like that kinda thing so you are best to make the comparisons.

As for the other T2 synths, who cares if they sound different ? Isnt't that the point ? E2, G2, Nemesis, Rayblaster, Icarus , all of them have their own characteristic sound, and ideal of modern music is to be different, same cane be said for Massive, Serum, Sylenth, FM8, Zebra, they aren't modelled after anything, and bring different ways to make sounds to the plate. That is what I am looking for, difference, change, originality.

If I wanted that analogue sound id stick to emulations or synths like Saurus / Diva / V collection etc.

T2 brings something different to the plate, in a way that is Tone2. Like it or not, it has its place in our arsenals like so many other synths. I dunno WTF the problem is with ppl complaining about a synth having a certain sound they can't put their finger on. Just don't use it then, simples.

But there are a hell of a lot of ppl using "that sound you cant place" in big tracks.
Stop looking back, you aren't going that way

Return to “Instruments”