Tone2 Saurus2...The Great Underrated?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Saurus 4

So I'm starting to get into programming this thing. Can't put my finger on it but there's something quaint about this little relatively simple synth. It's actually a lot of fun to program. I could probably make patches all day. Sounds great. More flexible than I suspected.

Might be the best $84 I've spent this year.

wagtunes wrote:So I'm starting to get into programming this thing. Can't put my finger on it but there's something quaint about this little relatively simple synth. It's actually a lot of fun to program. I could probably make patches all day. Sounds great. More flexible than I suspected.

Did you get the 2.5 link yet? I just got it.
The drag n drop modulation makes it so much nicer. Great little synth!

I was very happy with Saurus 2.
But Saurus 2.5 sounds even better! :-)
It is worth the money.
Congratulations to tone2.

simmo75 wrote:
wagtunes wrote:So I'm starting to get into programming this thing. Can't put my finger on it but there's something quaint about this little relatively simple synth. It's actually a lot of fun to program. I could probably make patches all day. Sounds great. More flexible than I suspected.

Did you get the 2.5 link yet? I just got it.
The drag n drop modulation makes it so much nicer. Great little synth!
Yeah, I got it this morning. They sent me a very nice email apologizing for the inconvenience. Tone 2's prices, IMO, are a bit high, but their customer service has always been great. That's one thing I can't complain about.

That's what I liked about the original. It wasn't overly complicated and did simple things well, was fun to program.

What actually got me hooked was the fact it sounded so big for so little, meaning look at Sylenth (im not comparing them here btw) , its a simple synth, nothing mentally complicated to program and sounds unreal, Saurus is a lot like that to me.

Ive not spent much time with 2, or indeed 2.5 yet, but I will :) tbh I have a bad habit of reaching for ElectraX all the time (the original) then having to tell myself I do actually own the other synths ;)
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

LeVzi wrote:

That's what I liked about the original. It wasn't overly complicated and did simple things well, was fun to program.

What actually got me hooked was the fact it sounded so big for so little, meaning look at Sylenth (im not comparing them here btw) , its a simple synth, nothing mentally complicated to program and sounds unreal, Saurus is a lot like that to me.

Ive not spent much time with 2, or indeed 2.5 yet, but I will :) tbh I have a bad habit of reaching for ElectraX all the time (the original) then having to tell myself I do actually own the other synths ;)
I own Electra 2, Rayblaster, Nemesis, Icarus and now Saurus 2.5.

My least favorite, hands down, is Rayblaster as far as programming it goes. Just really didn't get into it. My favorite until now was Icarus. I don't know how I'll feel about that after I've done a couple a hundred Saurus patches. Time will tell.

wagtunes wrote:
LeVzi wrote:

I own Electra 2, Rayblaster, Nemesis, Icarus and now Saurus 2.5.

My least favorite, hands down, is Rayblaster as far as programming it goes. Just really didn't get into it. My favorite until now was Icarus. I don't know how I'll feel about that after I've done a couple a hundred Saurus patches. Time will tell.
Im with you with Rayblaster, gave me and still does, a major headache. I stick to what I know in that respect.

Rayblaster is my go to tone2 synth, together with Icarus. Saurus 2.5 is a nice update though. Modding by dragging is truly handy.

exmatproton wrote:Rayblaster is my go to tone2 synth, together with Icarus. Saurus 2.5 is a nice update though. Modding by dragging is truly handy.
Rayblaster and Nemesis were two of their synths that beat me in terms of patch making. I could make patches based on luck and guesswork more than planned ideas, so they get use for the randomness of it. But if I wanted to make a certain sound id hit up on of the others.

I have never been much into Tone2 Synths. High quality all right, just not my cup of Tea. Except Saurus, which I bought yesterday. Yeah, there is some redundancy to my Arturias and Uhes but in the good way. It is a supplement to me, not a repetition. Not a must but an excellent variation.
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or oblique motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

wagtunes wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:49 pm I don't think Icarus can sound like an OB-X. But that's not its strength. It's a wavetable synth which Saurus 2 is not. So the two synths are not really comparable.
Hmmm, I'm aware that this is a pretty old thread, but I'll have to disagree with you! Just because Serum, Icarus etc. are wavetable synths - I own them both - doesn't mean it's not possible to make pretty good and convincing analog sounding patches...in fact, you can make really good ones! The result depends on the user alone...in my opinion.

DustID wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:36 am
wagtunes wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:49 pm I don't think Icarus can sound like an OB-X. But that's not its strength. It's a wavetable synth which Saurus 2 is not. So the two synths are not really comparable.
Hmmm, I'm aware that this is a pretty old thread, but I'll have to disagree with you! Just because Serum, Icarus etc. are wavetable synths - I own them both - doesn't mean it's not possible to make pretty good and convincing analog sounding patches...in fact, you can make really good ones! The result depends on the user alone...in my opinion.
Easy enough to prove. Post your OB-X and Icarus patches, or whatever other wavetable synth you want to use and see if people can tell which is which. I think the results will surprise you. I know I can certainly tell the difference.

Return to “Instruments”