[Repro-1] Public Beta

Official support for: u-he.com
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fluffy_little_something wrote:Yes, but didn't you say you were comparing a simple one-saw patch? Maybe the init patches?
Yes. But the factory patches consume more as well on average, compared to the patches in The Legend. Though, it's not something unbearable, my CPU can handle all easily. It's just that RePro consumes at least double here, and that seems to agree with what Urs suggest: that a Pro One is a lot more complex, thus the emulation would consume more CPU.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Will the always-on concept become the new standard, like 0df filters have over the past few years? Legend does the same thing if I remember the thread correctly.
I think Legend goes into some sort of standby after a few seconds. We might do the same, probably in form of an option.

Our inspiration were the Roland VSTs which are always on.

Unfortunately it makes a difference in sound. Envelopes, LFOs, oscillator beating and all parameter changes need to continue to be processed in the background when no sound is heard. If one doesn't do that, all parameter changes whatsoever would cause a jump on Note On. That's a glitch you won't find on an analogue synth.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Yes, but didn't you say you were comparing a simple one-saw patch? Maybe the init patches?
Hehe, you answered that yourself: Everything is always on. We didn't want it to glitch when someone automates any of the modulation switches or anything. Hence, it doesn't matter if you use an init patch or a complex effect patch.

(the Effects otoh go in standby when deactivated)

Hehehe, a thought just struck me... for many Pro-One owners this will be the first time they can hear what it can do, once the factory library is added... many probably had their 5 or so go to patches but might have never dived into it so deeply.

Oh, always on applies to everything except effects, I thought it only applied to oscillators :hihi: My bad...

But yes, the CPU meter confirms that, without FX there are hardly any changes as I cycle through the presets and turn off effects. Actually that is kind of neat, no bad surprises. Either it crackles all the time or never :hihi:

That's the same way Reaktor works, really. As long as you have CPU to spare, it's all good. Once things start tripping over, it's freeze time. :)

u-he-william wrote:Later SDKs support more modern c++ features. That was the main argument to update.
yet does this mean that from now on OS 10.7 will be required for any u-he newly-compiled Mac release ?

First congratulations to Urs and the team at U-He fro releasing the Public Beta of Repro-1. :tu:

Yorrrrrr wrote:Is this CPU optimized yet? Here it seems to consume more than double the CPU compared to The Legend at same-ish settings (a single sawtooth, nothing else). And it doesn't go to 0% CPU when idle.
Just compared the CPU use of both Repro-1 and The Legend using a similar simple 2 Osc patch in Live 9-7 64-bit and Windows 10 64-bit and using an older Core 2 Quad Q6600 CPU.

For Repro-1 the CPU display in Live 9 permanently shows 30-31% while with The Legend it used around 12-13%. With The Legend the CPU use goes back to 0% here when being idle (sometimes 1%).

Based on a first test concerning "raw power" using that basic 2 Osc patch both seem to be good while somehow The Legend seems to be slightly better in that respect which is increased when adding the Drive/Overload and/or the saturation at the back panel.

With a bit of fine tuning i am also able to get both sound quite similar when using the same patch.

Of course Repro-1 like the Pro One is kind of superior concerning additional features like e.g. advanced modulation features, variable PW + PWM, Osc Sync, Arp, sequencer and some other stuff. Those were not included in the original Minimoog Model D and are also not included in The Legend.

Will also try to test against Arturia Prophet 5, also with Waves OneKnob Phatter to boost the low end like i did in the past.

I will also try to compare with my real analog Novation Bass Station II which in terms of overall features offers even more than Repro-1 already does (especially in the filter section/modes and the amount of available Osc waveforms). So far i have no plugin that could directly replace the Bass Station II in terms o f features and having a look at the specs Repro-1 will also not do that job for me (while it could be a great synth on it's own). Still worth to comapre with the features that both are sharing.

Opposing to the Minimoog Model D that i owned around 11 years i ago never owned or played a real Pro One so this time i could judge the synth's sound "as is" instead of comapring to the sound i somehow still had kept in my mind.

As i got both a Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S61 controller here (+ the coresponding software) and also a NFR of Pro Tools 12.5 i will try to have a lok at both the NKS support and the AAX plugin.
Last edited by Ingonator on Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

So, roughly 2.5x as much CPU load on your systems. Amazing, my computer seems to love Repro-1 for some reason :D Maybe Repro-1 benefits from my 6 physical cores somehow even if they are not the fastest...

rockbottom wrote:
u-he-william wrote:Later SDKs support more modern c++ features. That was the main argument to update.
yet does this mean that from now on OS 10.7 will be required for any u-he newly-compiled Mac release ?
Yep, unfortunately that's true. Apart from C++2011 we also have to move to Audio Units V3 - unless we want run into big trouble with whatever Apple releases next.

We've been lucky that no OS update has ever thrown us completely, but we have to slowly drop older versions of MacOS X to stay functional.

I really can't understand why/how many people are complaining about lack of Polyphony!

Its a Pro-ONE people, personally I think its brilliant u-he made a proper monosynth and DIDn't add extra voices or unison, and instead Focused on what makes a monosynth awesome :party:

Counting down the hours till I get to go and play with this beta.
Thanks team!
Hypnagog (Experimental Electronica) |
Terrafractyl (Psytrance) |Kinematic Records (Label)

I like that the last-note priority retrigger mode really retriggers. With some other synths it is more like a semi-retrigger where releasing the second note does not completely retrigger the first note, but only returns to its pitch accompanied by a slight bump :P

RePro-1 has tons of character and grunt!

Urs two questions:

1. Are you now happy enough with vst3 to recommend those of use who want to use it to use it?

2. I have beta tested other products under nda and I always keep coming back to Diva etc that when no notes are being played the cpu hit goes to a minimal, and I am constantly complaining to them, why can't they code like Urs and allow the plugin not to use much cpu when it isn't being played.. I have to check Bazille again, but this is afaik your first plugin that significant uses cpu/asio load even when it is not being played.
Is this intentional?

thanks.
I am actually enjoying it much more than I expected to :-)
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote:Is this intentional?
Yes, read above:
Urs wrote:Our inspiration were the Roland VSTs which are always on.

Unfortunately it makes a difference in sound. Envelopes, LFOs, oscillator beating and all parameter changes need to continue to be processed in the background when no sound is heard. If one doesn't do that, all parameter changes whatsoever would cause a jump on Note On. That's a glitch you won't find on an analogue synth.

Return to “u-he”