MTurboReverb preset making action, let's make the ultimate reverb! ;)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MTurboReverb

Hi folks,

so the newest creation is coming up - I'm going to be bold and say it's by far the most powerful reverb ever made, plus it's super fast, and sounds, well, great to me and everyone else I asked so far :), hopefully to you too :).

It actually lets you program your own reverb algorithm! (and it is made easy btw!) Which is where you come in. We are looking for reverb junkies :), people who just love reverbs, know how they sound, and want to participate on, hopefully, the ultimate reverb. Whether you are interested in the classic stuff, or want to be more creative. There's just infinite possibilities here and everyone likes something else, so there's no better way than calling to arms, so-to-speak (hopefully that doesn't sound offensive in english or something :) )

So each of the "active presets" you'd be creating would look roughly like this:

Most of them will look pretty much the same actually. A few examples of the 4 ones I created so far below. All just 50% dry/wet defaults. They sound great to me, but please be critical! I used this particular loop, because with most reverbs it sounds just horrible :).
http://www.meldaproduction.com/temp/MTu ... rb/Dry.mp3 << dry
http://www.meldaproduction.com/temp/MTu ... b/Room.mp3
http://www.meldaproduction.com/temp/MTu ... b/Hall.mp3
http://www.meldaproduction.com/temp/MTu ... hedral.mp3
http://www.meldaproduction.com/temp/MTu ... /Plate.mp3

Now what's under the hood on the edit screen. First the 4 early reflection generators:

Yes, 4 of them :). Why? You never know how many you'll need :). This one is pretty simple, you can literally edit the reflections, or make the plugin create them from an IR file, generate them randomly, or just use many of the presets. It works like a classic tapped delay by default, but it can also work as a nice diffuser, or you can create the entire reverb including late reflections this way (but it probably wouldn't the best reverb ever :D).

Then 4 late reflection generators:

There's some real magic. The core is the Algorithm, which lets you define the whole reverb "topology" using a dedicated simple language. There are dozens of presets already, so if you don't feel like "actually programming", no problem, but if you feel like it, there are pretty much no limits in there. It contains lots of modules, e.g. combs/echoes, filters & modulation, systems of FDN networks (don't worry if you have no idea what that is)...

You can hypotetically build any reverb from these, the question is only how far you are willing to go and if it cannot even be better, because the thing is, nobody ever had such technology at their disposal, so it's quite likely that you can not only simulate any other reverb like this, but actually improve it.
Just note that it probably won't sound the same, because the chance all the delays and coefficients will be exactly the same is close to 0. But that's not the point anyway.

Anyways, all you might need to do is to play with the coefficients. The whole system is made up in such a way, that all the internal delays and stuff are generated automatically, and you simply need to click the "Seed" button to get a new sequence and just listen if you like it or not. So, building a reverb may not be that hard ;). Well, depending on your ears mainly ;).

And then there is a dynamic EQ:

Not that you'd need dynamics usually, but who knows.. :) And a compressor/gate:

WHAT IS IN THERE FOR YOU?

Well, depends on what you want, what your goal is, how good stuff you can make... ;) How about a free licence for this brutal plugin? :) If you'd be really good, there's probably a lot more work for you here :).

HOW TO GET MTURBOREVERB?

OK, WE ARE DONE! Already soooo many of you registered, we need to STOP :D. So now, ONLY if you feel like you reaaaaallly need it, because you are a total reverb junkie and an expert in the field, then write me an email to info@meldaproduction.com (subject MTURBOREVERB ACTION) and tell me why do you want to contribute on the development or something. Or if you ever designed any reverbs, or if you feel like you know reverbs etc... just something.

Here's a preliminary documentation:

https://www.meldaproduction.com/downloa ... Reverb.pdf

You definitely don't need to read that :), but if you decide to go for some hardcore programming you could use the documentation for the Algorithm, which starts on page 25.

HOW TO MAKE ACTIVE PRESETS THEN?

Before we start - we are making active presets, not just presets! Active presets are presets with GUI, like the 4 I have created on the easy screen. An active preset is the plugin settings PLUS the settings of the multiparameters, from which the plugin creates the GUI on the easy screen.

Please make sure you watch these videos:
http://www.meldaproduction.com/video-tu ... arameters/

Edit: Please always use the single-band version MTurboReverb, not the multiband MTurboReverbMB.

1. Open the plugin and select any of the existing active presets (room, hall, cathedral or plate, it doesn't matter which, your active preset will probably sound completely different) and start from there. Explore the active preset so you know how it works, what each multiparameter does etc.

2. Configure the early & late reflection generators so that your preset sounds awesome and unique :). If you want to be more creative and use multiple late generators etc., no problem, go ahead.

3. Redefine the GUI to your preset - using the multiparameters. Remember, active preset is NOT just settings, it's also the GUI on the easy screen, so it's like you would be designing a whole new reverb plugin ;). If you don't know what multiparameters are, check these tutorials:

http://www.meldaproduction.com/video-tu ... arameters/

You need to keep all multiparameters at the same locations, so that all presets are compatible with each other. But you may add some more, or remove existing ones. Though best if you don't :). The ranges for at least the main multiparameters should be ideally the same, again, compatibility reasons.

Edit: If you are into some very specific creative stuff, feel free to change the GUI completely. Just try to keep the first "Globals" panel intact, so that there's at least something "standard".

In most cases you probably won't do anything with the multiparameters actually. Just make them work properly with your presets and set the defaults well (don't forget to use the "Set current value as default" button in each multiparameter's window).

One particularly interesting parameter will be the "Room type" (or Hall type... - the selection on top with Large, Bright etc.). Name them as you like and provide as many as you like, but there's kind of the "soul" in them - it controls the coefficients of the algorithm etc. and it may take a while to get good results. You may need to click the Seed button for many times to make it sound really good in many cases.

For the record, I'd suggest using headphones, because there you can really hear the details and how the sound moves around you.

4. Save the preset and send it to me via info@meldaproduction.com. It won't be used until we are both happy with the preset and you are happy with whatever you wanted to get :).

How to save it? Just use the copy button on the right under the A-H presets and paste it into the email as text, it's easy and simple ;). If you tend to create more, I'd suggest sending a first one ahead, just so that we can check it out and verify everything is in place ;).

BUT be prepared to get rejected! If you send us a bunch of randomized crap (and we are not deaf), that we reserve the right to tell you "sorry". Normally I wouldn't bother to mention that, but for EVERY preset action there are some people who just want something for nothing, and there were even cases of psychopats threaning us, making waves here on the forum, one even made us an antiMelda website :D - all just because he was a month after the deadline (!!!) and what he send us was completely unusable...

SHOULD YOU CREATE HALLS, ROOMS, PLATES,... ?

It's up to you! Reverbs are creative tools, so let's be creative in what is natural for us ;). After all, it won't hurt to have a few different halls for instance ;).

DEADLINE

Hard to say, I'd say, let's it until the end of the year ;).

DO NOT UNDERSTAND ANYTHING?

Ask here :). I'll try to edit this first post if needed :)

So that's it, good luck and let's make something awesome! ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Qylq2uRRqs
Last edited by MeldaProduction on Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:05 am, edited 14 times in total.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

That sounds very interesting. Reverbs are the most important tools (for me) and i'm always hunger for that next creative tool which is more than a simple reverb!
"The most powerful reverb"....must be proven.
B2 (followed by Aether) is still the king for me by a country mile in terms of depth and options to tweak a reverb.
If that has similar options to tweak (or even more), it would be great.

Hehe then you won't be disappointed ;).
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

MeldaProduction wrote:Hehe then you won't be disappointed ;).
I had a short look at the manual..... :o
Seems a monster....also things like multi-touch support :tu:
Have to study the manual in depth. But first look is stunning (at least on paper)!

It is! :D But the good thing is, you don't need all that scary stuff ;). You don't actually need to study the manual ;), just since you seem to be a monster-liker, I'd suggest checking the "Algorithm" documentation, you might like some more programming ;).

(for the record I just checked B2, and maybe I'm a too confident, but if you like that thing, there's a good chance you will delete it minutes after you install MTurboReverb :) )
Vojtech

Ill wait till its released hehe

Will this be part of the Creative Bundle?
:pray:
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Probably ;).
Vojtech

Let me get this straight, you can import an impulse response and it will "resynthesize" a live working model of that reverb, kind of how like what a resynthesis synth does to wave files but does it with reverbs? :love:

In short, it can convert an convolution reverb into an algorithmic one?
Last edited by Touch The Universe on Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Not exactly, it extracts the initial early reflections from it. The late reverberation needs to be programmed. I actually thought about algorithmic engine, that would literally simulate an IR, but it seems impossible, or you'd need some approximation approach, which would probably require CPU power of the entire world :D
Vojtech

Can it use multiple cores?
I'm a bit scared about cpu usage.

MeldaProduction wrote:It is! :D But the good thing is, you don't need all that scary stuff ;). You don't actually need to study the manual ;), just since you seem to be a monster-liker, I'd suggest checking the "Algorithm" documentation, you might like some more programming ;).

(for the record I just checked B2, and maybe I'm a too confident, but if you like that thing, there's a good chance you will delete it minutes after you install MTurboReverb :) )

Uuhhh....we wil see. Any chance for a few audio demos? :D

The one who wrote this manual should get punished... :x No useful and well readable layout, about 10 times the exact same paragraphs/content, if I want to read something about MTurboReverb I have to search because there's first an explanation for everything but the important things.

Closed it. Tbh already lost interest in this plugin. Sorry :P

Cinebient wrote:Can it use multiple cores?
I'm a bit scared about cpu usage.
It uses a single core, but it is VERY fast! From what I checked it was always at least 2x faster with conventional presets. Currently there's just room, hall, plate and cathedral (all made by me, preliminary), but except for the cathedral, which takes more, it is always very very fast.
I'll try to export some audio demoes, but again, it's just preliminary. The whole idea here is, that it can sound like anything. I have been exploring most reverbs on the market, and only valhalla stuff seems good sounding to me now :D (stuff like aether, brrr... and interestingly I hate even the lexicons now :D )
Vojtech

MirkoVanHauten wrote:The one who wrote this manual should get punished... :x No useful and well readable layout, about 10 times the exact same paragraphs/content, if I want to read something about MTurboReverb I have to search because there's first an explanation for everything but the important things.

Closed it. Tbh already lost interest in this plugin. Sorry :P
It's a beta product, what did you expect? :D It's also bigger than many DAWs :D. Anyways if this was enough for loosing the interest, then it's probably for the best.
Vojtech

Ok, so a few audio examples here (and in the first post). They are all just defaults, 50% drywet. They sound great to me, but I have been fortunate to find out that the community is usually able to make something better :D. Let me know what you think.

http://www.meldaproduction.com/temp/MTu ... rb/Dry.mp3
http://www.meldaproduction.com/temp/MTu ... b/Room.mp3
http://www.meldaproduction.com/temp/MTu ... b/Hall.mp3
http://www.meldaproduction.com/temp/MTu ... hedral.mp3
http://www.meldaproduction.com/temp/MTu ... /Plate.mp3
Vojtech

Return to “Effects”