Roland Cloud

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
Mushy Mushy
KVRAF
9958 posts since 7 Sep, 2008

Post Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:16 am

fluffy_little_something wrote:
chk071 wrote:The point is that you own the license to use the software, forever. Opposed to renting the license to use the software, for a limited time.
Sure. I also prefer the old-skool pay-and-forget approach :)
I mean, what if you made projects and want to open them 3 years later when you have long cancelled your subscriptions?
This is my main concern also. The counter is you render.
Yes sure, but many things are better off in hindsight.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

chk071
KVRAF
17031 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Re: Roland Cloud

Post Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:16 am

chk071 wrote:The point is that you own the license to use the software, forever. Opposed to renting the license to use the software, for a limited time.
I mean, what if you made projects and want to open them 3 years later when you have long cancelled your subscriptions?
For example. Or the bad feeling that you have to let go off your synths when you no longer subscribe... i guess that's part of the point of a subscription. To be so sorry about your lost products that you keep on subscribing.

Anyway, i think it's fair enough that they offer it. I don't have to like it, or to subscribe myself.

fluffy_little_something
KVRAF
12032 posts since 5 Jun, 2012 from Portugal

Post Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:19 am

They force you into marriage when all you want is date 8)

electro
KVRAF
4350 posts since 6 May, 2002

Post Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:22 am

Mushy Mushy wrote:
This is my main concern also. The counter is you render.
Yes sure, but many things are better off in hindsight.
According to what I've read here, each 12 month subscription ($240.00) entitles you to one permanent license of your choosing. The only concern is whether activating that permanent license in the future will depend on the indefinite availability of Roland Virtual Sonic servers.
Intel Core2 Quad CPU + 4 GIG RAM

tristan-
KVRist
326 posts since 11 Dec, 2004

Post Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:51 pm

Dang! it was just a matter of time - luckily just a few months ago I sold 4 SRX cards (not Ultimate Keys though) and 4 SR-JV80 cards (one of which was Vintage Synth) at a fair price which lasted throughout the years. all resided in my XV5080 which I sold some years back but it took me a while to get to sell the cards. I bet I would've lost quite much on the cards if I sold them right now after the release of the RC SRX Keys. I had no idea they gonna issue all boards in plugin form. Nice!

tristan-
KVRist
326 posts since 11 Dec, 2004

Post Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:23 pm

Do you think we'll get the MFX as a separate multi effects VST plugin? could be cool.

PAK
KVRian
703 posts since 20 Feb, 2003

Post Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:56 am

electro wrote:According to what I've read here, each 12 month subscription ($240.00) entitles you to one permanent license of your choosing.
Yep, Roland YOURS. ( https://www.rolandcloud.com/yours-loyalty-program )

It was first mentioned as "coming soon", on their website, 30th May 2017 (based on google). Given that this thread was started, in Dec 2016, there MUST (!) be some people out there who are most of their way towards a second YOURS instrument, never mind the first!

..And yet, I've seen absolutely NO reports on any details. Has anyone, who qualifies, actually been given a YOURS instrument yet? Has anyone, who subscribed for the 1 year period, been offered anything? In theory, you should instantly qualify for a YOURS instrument, given that you've paid for 12 months up front? Or do they make you wait the year anyway? (ughhh.. )
The only concern is whether activating that permanent license in the future will depend on the indefinite availability of Roland Virtual Sonic servers
I'm very much assuming it will always need a Cloud account, in order to also limit the amount of active installs. But it could "permanently" authorise, like standard challenge response, or it could continue to require a sign in every x days etc. It'd kinda be a good idea to know how basics like this -actually- work before spending $200+ on something!

I also don't like the whole "you can never ever change your email address" thing, which I'm sure I've seen mentioned somewhere? I'm not sure they could even legally enforce this as a condition, if it is one(?) So they may want to rethink that. Anyone know anything more about this?

Funkybot's Evil Twin
KVRAF
5668 posts since 16 Aug, 2006

Post Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:33 pm

Their FAQ indicates that they're still working on the details and anyone who already qualified for 12 or more months by the time they figure it out, they'll be granted an instrument retroactively. So no, we don't know the details yet and people who qualify for a free plugin haven't actually gotten one yet, but will.

EnochLight
KVRian
975 posts since 21 Mar, 2012 from Detroit, MI

Post Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:21 am

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:Their FAQ indicates that they're still working on the details and anyone who already qualified for 12 or more months by the time they figure it out, they'll be granted an instrument retroactively. So no, we don't know the details yet and people who qualify for a free plugin haven't actually gotten one yet, but will.
Thanks for chiming in. That’s disturbing, as it’s been longer than 1 year for some users, and they are not fulfilling their part of the agreement.

It’s not hard to “figure it out” Roland - offline perpetual licenses have been done for decades in software... :roll:
  • Presonus Studio One 3.5.x | too many VSTi's to name
  • Windows 10 64-bit | Reason 10.2 | RME Babyface Pro | Nektar Tech Panorama P4 | M-Audio Trigger Finger Pro | too many RE's to name

PAK
KVRian
703 posts since 20 Feb, 2003

Post Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:04 am

EnochLight wrote:Thanks for chiming in. That’s disturbing, as it’s been longer than 1 year for some users, and they are not fulfilling their part of the agreement.

It’s not hard to “figure it out” Roland - offline perpetual licenses have been done for decades in software... :roll:
Yeah, no roll out over 15 months later? That's concerning.

Due to Roland's past track record, I only buy their products based on what's delivered at the time of purchase, rather than any future promises. Since I'm only interested in the YOURS aspect of Roland Cloud, I won't go that route until they've actually launched YOURS.

If anyone subscribed, based on the original promises + announcement, they'd already be 15+ months in to that "12 month period" by now. Not cool. Maybe there's more to it. But, just from the outside looking in, it sure is a helluva long time taken to add a new license type, huh?

EnochLight
KVRian

Post Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:32 am

PAK wrote:
EnochLight wrote:Thanks for chiming in. That’s disturbing, as it’s been longer than 1 year for some users, and they are not fulfilling their part of the agreement.

Yeah, no roll out over 15 months later? That's concerning.

Due to Roland's past track record, I only buy their products based on what's delivered at the time of purchase, rather than any future promises. Since I'm only interested in the YOURS aspect of Roland Cloud, I won't go that route until they've actually launched YOURS.

If anyone subscribed, based on the original promises + announcement, they'd already be 15+ months in to that "12 month period" by now. Not cool. Maybe there's more to it. But, just from the outside looking in, it sure is a helluva long time taken to add a new license type, huh?
A class-action lawsuit my help motivate Roland, plus get all subscribers a refund on the money they've spent the past year+. Any takers? :D
  • Windows 10 64-bit | Reason 10.2 | RME Babyface Pro | Nektar Tech Panorama P4 | M-Audio Trigger Finger Pro | too many RE's to name

chk071
KVRAF
17031 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:37 am

The issue with that is that you always make one party particularly rich. The lawyers.

Anyway, i can't really imagine Roland not making a move on that soon. People will ask for their plugins. Just a matter of time IMO.

EnochLight
KVRian

Post Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:09 am

chk071 wrote:The issue with that is that you always make one party particularly rich. The lawyers.

Anyway, i can't really imagine Roland not making a move on that soon. People will ask for their plugins. Just a matter of time IMO.
I wouldn't expect anyone to do a job for free, so certainly the lawyers should be paid. Typically a class-action lawsuit costs the defendants nothing (and are done pro bono), though, and a win will certainly result in some sort of reimbursement (if anything, to at least get Roland to complete their end of the agreement and provide the owed "forever" licenses to those who paid 12 months of subscription). But getting (some) refunds on subscriptions could be a nice bonus! ;)

gentleclockdivider
KVRian
1146 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Post Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:17 am

The only disadvantage about the cloud is that you have to subscribe for a year to receive your plugin , while in the meantime you can also purchase a few plugins directly without subscription ( system 100 , system1, promars ,sh101,sh0, promars , soundcanvas ...but NO system 8 , srx keyboards ,juno )
And it seems that these plug's that are individually sold are only vst 3
It's also a bit bizar that all plugins have the same price ( 12 months combined sunscription )
The good thing is that you can use them all , and sound bloody great .
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

EnochLight
KVRian

Post Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:44 am

gentleclockdivider wrote:The only disadvantage about the cloud is that you have to subscribe for a year to receive your plugin
To be clear, you just have to complete 12 months of payments - but it doesn't have to be 12 months consecutively in order. You can pay for 6 months, cancel your subscription, and then pick it up again months (or years) later - and once you pay another 6 months, you're "owed" a plugin for life. :party:

Return to “Instruments”