Roland Cloud

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
JX-3P Roland Cloud

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:11 pm I'll give them credit, on the few occasions I reached out with either issues or suggestions, they got back very quickly with detailed responses. So kudos to the Roland Cloud team (assuming Virtualsonics) for the excellent support. I mean, yeah, I give them money each month, but it's nice to know it results in actual responsive support.
I'd say the one thing that makes me hopeful that Roland Cloud doesn't suddenly disappear is that it's not Roland doing the job but an operation with a vested interest in making sure it has a future – Virtual Sonics in this case. The transfer of the Plug-Outs for hardware to the cloud operation (though it hasn't completed yet) suggests Roland has discovered its heart isn't in software but that it has found a way to maintain a viable software offering by getting Virtual Sonics to take it on.

sinemotor wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:40 pm
andypryce wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:55 am Waiting for 990 with vintage board and Juno 60. My all time favorites
Meanwhile you can either use 'Anthology 1993' if you want to play with JDs presets. The JV-1080 and/or the SRX Keyboards plugins if you want to create patches with the original waveforms because it contains JDs and Vintage Boards ones.

Juno 60 ? Is the Juno 106 emulation not enough ?
I don't know maybe pure nostalgia :) but when I had them both I somehow always liked the 60 sound more. Some say they are the same but was not for me. Maybe because of the particular unit I had

Compared side-by-side a Juno 60 and 106 sound surprisingly different. The 106 is like a soft-focus version of the Juno (in a good way).

Gamma-UT wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:31 pm Compared side-by-side a Juno 60 and 106 sound surprisingly different. The 106 is like a soft-focus version of the Juno (in a good way).
It's true. Very different character. i'm glad to have both the TAL Juno 60 and the Roland 106.

I'm wondering if this 2 synths for one year subscription only applies if you take a un-interrupted subscription for one year or when you reach the threshold of 12 months but possible with interruptions.

Do I need to get a subscription of one year straight away or not, to be able to pick 2 synths 'for life or sort of'.

I think the promo is over and it's back to one instrument after 12 months.

Stefken wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:01 pm I'm wondering if this 2 synths for one year subscription only applies if you take a un-interrupted subscription for one year or when you reach the threshold of 12 months but possible with interruptions.

Do I need to get a subscription of one year straight away or not, to be able to pick 2 synths 'for life or sort of'.
The deal was to pay for a year upfront for the yearly cost (199), and at the end of the year you can claim your two instruments. Month by month comes to 240 for the year. And no you only get one at the end of a year if you go month to month. Pretty sure the deal is over now anyways.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:32 am
Stefken wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:01 pm I'm wondering if this 2 synths for one year subscription only applies if you take a un-interrupted subscription for one year or when you reach the threshold of 12 months but possible with interruptions.

The deal was to pay for a year upfront for the yearly cost (199), and at the end of the year you can claim your two instruments. Month by month comes to 240 for the year. And no you only get one at the end of a year if you go month to month. Pretty sure the deal is over now anyways.
Thx for the info. I thought it was a (permanent) change of policy to make the cloud more interesting as it was also granted to existing users.
I thought the deal part was in the price (199). Oh well...

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:32 am
That's not how I understood it. Here's an excerpt from their announcement e-mail:

"This December we're celebrating the holiday season and our users with a special promotion: PLAY 2–4 LIFE. Ahead of this release, we are reaching out to our family to say: “We’ve got you covered!” [...] As part of PLAY 2–4 LIFE, all annual subscribers and participants in former programs will receive lifetime use* of, not one, but TWO instruments of their choice. [...] Are you currently enrolled in a monthly program? You’ll also get TWO instruments when you complete your 12 months, even if you choose not to renew your monthly subscription at that time."

I read this as: as part of this promotion, all current subscribers get 2 instruments, once they complete their 12 months (or immediately if they've already paid for a year).

If that had not been the case, they could just have stated that anyone who pays upfront for the whole year (currently subscribed or not) participates in the promotion. And I would have done so.

raymondwave wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:04 am I just went for Mojave and I'm getting some gui issues with Roland Cloud (AU) and Studio One v4. The gui is a bit laggy, but really annoying thing is that the tooltip (?) values for knobs and sliders stick to the screen and don't disappear even when I close the project. I can even see them now while writing this on Safari as I have S1 still open on the background.

Anyone else get this?
With a laggy GUI, do you mean the knobs? And is the sound steppy too while turning the knobs with the mouse? (like, when you for example turn the cutoff frequency knob to sweep the filter?). I'm having this problem and Roland support told me that they've been able to reproduce this. I'm using Mojave too, and Bitwig and Studio One 4.

FYI

As there is a lot of confusion and Roland does not intervene in this thread, I asked the question to their helpdesk. This is the answer I got:
"Yes, you would still get two instruments after 12 months of paid subscription. Intermittent periods are fine."

To my question whether this was a 'permanent policy':
"All policies can be changed over time, but yes, this is "permanent" for the foreseeable future.".

So conclusion: when your counter hits 12 months, you can choose two synths 'for life'.

(Please don't start about the definition of 'for life' again....)

Ah, my mistake. So then if someone signed up before the promotion ended, and kept their subscription going for 12 months straight, they get two permanent licenses. But if they sign up after the promotion, then they will only get one at the end of their twelve months. Seems like that would be the case.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:21 pm Ah, my mistake. So then if someone signed up before the promotion ended, and kept their subscription going for 12 months straight, they get two permanent licenses. But if they sign up after the promotion, then they will only get one at the end of their twelve months. Seems like that would be the case.
No, I specifically asked if I would receive the two synths if I subscribed now. > yes you get them.
Then I asked whether that was limited in time or a permanent policy > it's 'permanent'.

Stefken wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:25 pm No, I specifically asked if I would receive the two synths if I subscribed now. > yes you get them.
Then I asked whether that was limited in time or a permanent policy > it's 'permanent'.
They surely are experts in making this as confusing as possible. :D I was slightly bummed that I missed (or so I thought) the ”two synths for life” deal, as I thought it was valid for the holidays only, and it was something that finally made me think of biting the bullet.

Now when I go to their website, I actually can’t find any information about the ”loyalty program”, or ”yours”, or ”rewards”. Only one related question in the FAQ, and even that does not really tell anything. I could still find the loyalty program page through Google, and that still talks about _one_ instrument after each year of subscription.

How can it be so difficult to just state right there on their website what you will get (and what not)? I’m already this close to subscribing, but all this uncertainty and confusing information makes me feel the whole company must be in a state of chaos.
Last edited by Captain on Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It's bad communication for sure.
Still, the deal is good imo.

Return to “Instruments”