Roland Cloud

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
JX-3P Roland Cloud

Oopi wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:30 am I like Ronald Cloud a lot. Many great sounding vst in there. Lately I have been thinking why xv-5080 sound kind of weak when you listen classic analog like synth patches? Other sounds are great but d-50 or jv-800 sound lot better and more analog like.

I thought that xv-5080 was greatest Ronald rompler ever but even Syntronik 2 sounds a lot better than xv-5080. And Zenology also can do much more convincing analog emulations. But I don't think you can call xv-5080 king of the romplers when it is behind its time in analog sounds. Otherwise it is usable.
It is because Roland XV-5080 is seen as a Digital sample synth and Rompler and that is where it shines and not as a Analogue Sounding Instrument.

Roland D-50 sounds more digital than the XV 5080 to my ears and the JD 800 was more aimed at Analog and Digital sounds which is what you hear from the sampled waveforms + the JD 800 has a greater sweet sounding filter compared to the XV.
Last edited by D-Fusion on Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

fmr wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:49 pm
astralprojection wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:39 pm anyone got the jd-800 and if its worth getting?
It's your best option, for the moment (because it's THE ONLY option) :shrug:
There is the zenology version, and the new boutique as well. Although the zen version costs the same as the standalone which is a bit strange.
But I was thinking of saving up for the boutique, but the small size worries me a bit, and also if its worth that much more money than the standalone, and they should sound pretty identical.

Chrisk-K wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:12 pm
astralprojection wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:39 pm anyone got the jd-800 and if its worth getting?
In theory, you can create 99% of JD-800 patches in Zenology Pro because all the JD waveforms are in Zenology. I say 99% because the JD's effect secttion is far superior to Zenology's and because some of JD presets rely on the JD effects. However, as for me, the JD-800 superb GUI makes it way more fun to use and easier to program than Zenology. The JD-800 is my favorite RC legendary instrument.
thanks. this is why i really wanna get this plugin. jd800 has always been one of my absolute favorite synths of all time.

Introspective wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:20 am
Yes, if you used to own a JD-800 and miss it, or if you've really, really always wanted a JD-800, but could just never had the money for one.

Like all RC synths, the UI leaves a lot to be desired. It sounds pretty authentic to my ears (though, TBH, I never owned one, but I always wanted one).

That said: the JD-800 is relatively dated as a synth these days. It has its charms, and definitely has its own character and charm, but the filter is very ... specific (a very small sweet spot, and a relatively harsh resonance) and the available tones are limited and definitely not "realistic."

But if you know what you're getting into, and Roland's RC licensing and UIs don't rub you the wrong way: it's a good facsimile for the real thing.

Otherwise, I recommend giving it a pass. The price is, IMO, too steep for what you get. ...unless, as I said: you're considering the cost as an alternative to the hardware...
i didnt have the jd800 but i always loved its sound and sound capabilites. and the tonality of the synth always pleased me, so did many of the roland digitals. d-50 particular. i wished for the jd800 for YEARS and when they released this one i was just too excited. i really wanna get it but im not sure between the jd-08 and the jd-800 vst.
edit: sorry for the 3 different posts could have been just one

astralprojection wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:53 am i really wanna get it but im not sure between the jd-08 and the jd-800 vst.
Both are good options, and I doubt you would have regrets with either.

Unless you have large hands. If you have large hands, get the plugin.

The JD-800, to me, is the coolest looking synth ever. I've always wanted one since I made a (wrong;-) decision to buy a Korg O1/Wfd over a JD-800 a long time ago. I used to go to Manny's and Sam Ash in NYC to play the JD-800, wondering why my Korg couldn't make the sweeping tones (I had no idea about resonant filters back then).

On my 4k monitor, the software JD-800 looks breathtaking. Plus, it does have that signature JD sonic characteristic. If Roland added JD-990 features via a future update, the JD-800 would be perfect :-)

Would be cool if they made 990 features into the jd800 ui. Anyway thanks for all the great input im pretty sure I'll get the vst.
I was able to demo the zenology version but honestly I didn't like the ui of zenology and while all the patches where there and sounded true to the original, the whole idea of the jd800 seemed lost in the zen version. What boggles my mind is that the zen and standalone costs exactly the same while the sa surely is much better considering its 1:1 of the ui.

And the boutique is identical in sound I just have to assume, to the sa.

I had the real JD-800 for several years, and it's one my favourite synths ever. Part of what made it so great was the "analog" style interface, with dedicated buttons/sliders for most features, and over time I learned how to create sounds from scratch pretty fast (or at least that's how I want to remember it :D). Of course that part is mostly lost with the plugin, but at least it looks very close to the original. As discussed here, for some strange reason the filter in the plugin (both Zenology & dedicated) is not identical to the hardware (the cutoff does not go as high). Also, everyone seems to forget that the JD-800 also had a percussion section, which is completely missing from the plugin. And, while not a biggie, there's the strange case of some presets having a new name (some clearly due to copyright reasons, some not so obvious). Apart from these oddities, I'm very much enjoying the plugin!

Captain wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:57 am And, while not a biggie, there's the strange case of some presets having a new name (some clearly due to copyright reasons, some not so obvious).
I wondered about that, as the original synth was made by Roland (it's not like its a UVI version of the JD-800) so I wasn't sure why they would need to rename some of those.

In the hardware JD-800 there are patches like "Stratomaster" and "Metallic Rhodes", not sure how that wasn't a problem back then, but I can see why they were changed for the plugin. :)

Roland should add, via a free update, additional waveforms and patches from the SL-JD80 series expansion cards. Korg's software instruments (M1, Triton and Wavestation) come with all the additional waveforms and patches. If a much smaller company like Korg can do it, Roland should be able to do the same without hurting their profit.

Chrisk-K wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:42 pm Roland should add, via a free update, additional waveforms and patches from the SL-JD80 series expansion cards. Korg's software instruments (M1, Triton and Wavestation) come with all the additional waveforms and patches. If a much smaller company like Korg can do it, Roland should be able to do the same without hurting their profit.
Yes, they should. But look what the did with the JV-1080. All the SRX expansions were launched as different instruments, this way making it even impossible to combine waveforms/samples from more than one expansion with the internal waveforms.

It's the "Roland way" :x
Fernando (FMR)

Captain wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:35 pm In the hardware JD-800 there are patches like "Stratomaster" and "Metallic Rhodes", not sure how that wasn't a problem back then, but I can see why they were changed for the plugin. :)
in the before times you didn't have trademark lawyers using google alerts to find potential infringements. those names were confined to the machine and a printed manual.

rhodes has probably got a bit more aggressive recently about this now they have new hardware to sell.

Roland Cloud is more confusing than dating in 2022. Been organizing all the sounds for a couple of weeks. They nailed the sounds. Not so much the organization though.

Sooo...JD-800 has been updated to version 1.0.1. Any idea where could I find the release notes?

I doubt they have updated the filter and the erratic behavior I had noticed with the TVA attack is still there.

Regards,

--
Marco

Return to “Instruments”