Roland Cloud

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
jamcat
KVRAF
2059 posts since 2 Sep, 2019

Post Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:51 am

I get the distinct feeling that Roland really doesn’t want us using their stuff.

I guess I will continue using Arturia’s Roland models since they like me and want me as a customer.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Kr3eM
KVRian
697 posts since 1 Sep, 2007

Post Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:33 am

jamcat wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:51 am I get the distinct feeling that Roland really doesn’t want us using their stuff.

I guess I will continue using Arturia’s Roland models since they like me and want me as a customer.
I would argue TAL like us even more :ud:

astralprojection
KVRist
126 posts since 30 Jun, 2019

Post Mon Apr 11, 2022 12:16 am

have been trying out the JD-800 Legendary version at a friends place while he is away.
And Im thinking it sounds great, I have a lead sound, now i wanna tweak cutoff and resonance. But I can only do it on one part at the time.
So ok cool, we have the PALETTE faders; so if you tweak cutoff on one part; then those faders control cutoff on every single part. Neat!

But now i wanna do some cutoff tweakage with the midi controller.. So I would like to tweak all of them with one knob.
Hmm.. Wasnt able to do that. OK so I guess I just have to map all 4 palette faders; to the midi controller. Wait, thats not possible?? The Palette faders have no way to be assigned by midi? Am i missing something?

edit: im in Cubase and the palette faders does not exist as a destination for midi CC. And if there is a way I could make 1 knob control 4 things at once, that would be sweet too.
And also, is there a video somewhere explaining in detail how the Envelopes work? Im trying to make them be like a normal ADSR but they behave not as I expect; cant figure out really how to make them do basic ADSR stuff...

Thank you!

Examigan
KVRAF
6681 posts since 15 Sep, 2005 from East Coast of the USA

Post Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:20 am

It seems you can't map those Palette sliders like you mentioned, though it works with the individual layer's cutoff (and the other) controls.

About TVF and TVA, there is a part about those in the manual (see below). You can get a basic setting for an ADSR (to start out with) by checking out one of the Init presets to see how its setup there. The chart above the controls also helps to visualize how it works.

One handy feature:
You can select more than one Tone by clicking the Tone buttons while
holding down the Shift key.

These two parts in italics are from the manual:

When blinking: the parameters are not shown, but
can be edited (when you edit the tones that are lit
up, they become the same value).

[L1] [L2] [SUSTAIN LEVEL]
These set the TVA envelope levels. Use these knobs to determine how
much the volume changes at each point in relation to the base pitch
(the tone level value).
[T1] [T2] [T3] [T4]
These set the TVA envelope times. Larger values make the time to
reach the next volume level longer (for example, T2 sets the time it
takes to go from L1 to L2).

astralprojection
KVRist
126 posts since 30 Jun, 2019

Post Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:32 am

@examigan Thank you.
so I could select all tones, while they are blinking and control freq on all of them at the same time? That seems great, gonna try it next time.

Unfortunately I must be too stupid to understand the envelopes fully, I guess i just need more time with them. Just spent about 1h with it so far. Thanks again for your great reply

Examigan
KVRAF

Post Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:59 am

astralprojection wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:32 am @examigan Thank you.
so I could select all tones, while they are blinking and control freq on all of them at the same time?
Yes, e.g. when you move one cutoff slider, then all of the Tone's cutoff will be set to that same level.
Then afterward you could switch back to just one layer at a time (buttons not blinking) and make small changes to each of them if needed.

stash98
KVRian
822 posts since 16 Feb, 2005 from USA

Post Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:19 am

Brian.McClelland wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:43 pm
Shiek927 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:40 pm Don't bother with requests, guys. They'll just say they'll add it to the list, but they are following their own itinerary and will focus on what they want, when they want it. Nobody asked for the Zenology or many of the things they've put out, but here we are.
Hi, Shiek927! Brian from Roland Cloud here. We track all of the user requests over time to see what the main interests are. It's correct that ZENOLOGY Pro was launched as a new engine with better CPU usage per member demand. We've had several requests to expand the JUNO Legendary series, so we launched the JUNO-60. When we had requests for more drum machines, we've launched the TR-606/707/727 to fill out the line. We've actually had many requests for more SDZ Sound Packs, which is why we've continued the series.

Roland has a long history full of wonderful and unique instruments, and we'd love to get to them all, but it takes time to develop accurate software versions. We want to make sure that you get the best possible experience when you create, so we're dedicating the time to deliver that to you. Thanks!
WatchTheGuitar wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:30 pm Any sign of reverb FX any time soon, Brian?
Hey, WatchTheGuitar! In the interest of providing consistency across multiple platforms, we are investigating ways to implement this for both software and hardware users alike. Thanks! :phones:

Hi Brian is it possible to sell synths we have purchased? The Juno and Jx3p are unusable on Mac M1s in the AU format (heavy CPU consumption) and no one responds when I ask about timeline for native M1 support. Plus I am sick of the Roland Cloud plugin needing to load up and phone home just so I can use a couple plugins.

To me this was a lesson learned. Subscription cloud solutions just suck for music production since I have had projects not work because the cloud was down. And if you decide to own a Roland plugin you still are tethered to a phone home app.

You guys have been saying this will change for over a year, and it still hasn't. It should not take this long to deploy a new authorization solution. Honestly if someone pays you $150+ for a synth, just let them own the damn thing without any further authorization.

Brian.McClelland
KVRist
108 posts since 18 Sep, 2020

Post Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:35 am

stash98 wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:19 am Hi Brian is it possible to sell synths we have purchased? The Juno and Jx3p are unusable on Mac M1s in the AU format (heavy CPU consumption) and no one responds when I ask about timeline for native M1 support. Plus I am sick of the Roland Cloud plugin needing to load up and phone home just so I can use a couple plugins.

To me this was a lesson learned. Subscription cloud solutions just suck for music production since I have had projects not work because the cloud was down. And if you decide to own a Roland plugin you still are tethered to a phone home app.

You guys have been saying this will change for over a year, and it still hasn't. It should not take this long to deploy a new authorization solution. Honestly if someone pays you $150+ for a synth, just let them own the damn thing without any further authorization.
Hi, stash98! Sorry to hear about the issues with the instruments. I can assist with that.

The reality is that with the amount of resources it takes to develop these instruments, it is not possible to offer them without piracy prevention mechanisms. We understand that this may not work for all systems and workflows. We are working to provide the best possible music creation experience we can, and we plan on bringing you more new instruments and sounds long into the future.

I'll connect with you to direct to see if we can process a return for you. Thanks for letting me know! 😊

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF
9620 posts since 12 May, 2008

Post Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:48 pm

Brian.McClelland wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:35 am
stash98 wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:19 am Hi Brian is it possible to sell synths we have purchased? The Juno and Jx3p are unusable on Mac M1s in the AU format (heavy CPU consumption) and no one responds when I ask about timeline for native M1 support. Plus I am sick of the Roland Cloud plugin needing to load up and phone home just so I can use a couple plugins.

Hi, stash98! Sorry to hear about the issues with the instruments. I can assist with that.

The reality is that with the amount of resources it takes to develop these instruments, it is not possible to offer them without piracy prevention mechanisms. We understand that this may not work for all systems and workflows. We are working to provide the best possible music creation experience we can, and we plan on bringing you more new instruments and sounds long into the future.

I'll connect with you to direct to see if we can process a return for you. Thanks for letting me know! 😊
I'm glad you guys are working to make the best experience possible. Unfortunately with the current system, it is actually the worst I've used. You guys need to look into how other companies are managing not to annoy users so much with their copy protection that they don't even bother to install the software they paid for. I do not have Roland Cloud server installed even though I own 5 of the plugins.

stash98
KVRian
822 posts since 16 Feb, 2005 from USA

Post Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:41 am

Brian took care of me, he's a good guy. It's a bummer for me how RC works now, but maybe Roland will get it together one day with his feedback from customers and I can revisit.

WatchTheGuitar
KVRAF
10823 posts since 30 Apr, 2019

Post Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:45 am

Brian.McClelland wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:43 pm
WatchTheGuitar wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:30 pm Any sign of reverb FX any time soon, Brian?
Hey, WatchTheGuitar! In the interest of providing consistency across multiple platforms, we are investigating ways to implement this for both software and hardware users alike. Thanks! :phones:
OK would be great to see something soon.

Found a possible bug too. On Win10x64 latest RC update I was in Bitwig trying to use the arpeggiator on the JX-3P in non-synced mode i.e. so the arp tempo can be set independent of the DAW BPM and it just stays locked to the DAW tempo regardless of whether the Tempo Sync was set to ON or OFF.

"I'm over here, just a lonely turd floating in a pickle jar by myself. Is that how this works?"
https://soundcloud.com/main_tenant

yul
KVRian
1268 posts since 26 Sep, 2002 from Montreal, CANADA

Post Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:33 am

Hello! Anyone be so kind to tell if the XV-5080 plugin has the same PCM waveforms as the full Zenology? I don't need all of the extended Zen features (pcm sync etc) but need all the PCM same as Zenology however.

D-Fusion
KVRAF
3852 posts since 13 Jul, 2004 from Earth

Post Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:49 am

yul wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:33 am Hello! Anyone be so kind to tell if the XV-5080 plugin has the same PCM waveforms as the full Zenology? I don't need all of the extended Zen features (pcm sync etc) but need all the PCM same as Zenology however.
No. It only Contains the XV-5080 PCM's.

yul
KVRian
1268 posts since 26 Sep, 2002 from Montreal, CANADA

Post Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:19 am

Thanks! What other PCM's are you getting with Zenology Pro?

Examigan
KVRAF

Post Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:48 pm

I can't list them all here, but it looks like there are 620 and another 40 PCM Sync types. I am no expert on Zenology though, so there may be more than that.

If you sign up for a free account you can check it out for 30 days. I think that is for new users only though.

Return to “Instruments”