Roland Cloud

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
JX-3P Roland Cloud

Roland have never made a good digital synth. I cant believe ppl are falling for this retro shit, especially emulations of crap from the 90's.

Noisey, crap fx, crap build, crap sound. But hey, thats what the 90's were all about, and some ppl will buy anything :lol:

beely wrote:What about the FX algorithms? Doe the 1080 contain the RSS reverb of the 5080?
Yes the JV-1080 vst does feature Roland Sound Space algorithms. They are named "3D delay", "3D chorus", and so on. It's explained in the manual anyway.
Last edited by sinemotor on Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Btw, this is one of the most interesting part:

Sound Generator D-50 Compatible LA (Linear Arithmetic) Synthesis

Can anybody confirm if this is a mistake or a dream come true..a modern D-50 with thousands of waveforms? With future update maybe..
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

AnX wrote:Roland have never made a good digital synth. I cant believe ppl are falling for this retro shit, especially emulations of crap from the 90's.

Noisey, crap fx, crap build, crap sound. But hey, thats what the 90's were all about, and some ppl will buy anything :lol:
There's certainly some appeal to both nostalgia, but also the static quality of small samples and samplesets. That said, I think people do forget how much criticism there was of 90s romplers.

From Roland's POV though, this (old digital clones) is probably a better way to sucker people onto the Roland cash teet. I honestly don't understand the mind of the purist collector.

AnX wrote:Roland have never made a good digital synth. I cant believe ppl are falling for this retro shit, especially emulations of crap from the 90's.
I'm sure you're not a fan of the music, but, the JP-8000 was THE iconic Trance synth of the 90's, or early 2000's, probably used in gazillions of tracks. I won't claim it's the best digital synth ever, but, it's also a matter of what you consider "best", or good in general. I think there are many plugins nowadays which are better technically in about any regard, but, it's not always about that, otherwise gear heads wouldn't lust for the analog synths of yester-yester-year either. IMO, character is much more important than crystal clear aliasing free oscillators, and ZDF feedback filters models, which just sound plain clean, tame, and boring.

chk071 wrote:
I'm sure you're not a fan of the music, but, the JP-8000 was THE iconic Trance synth of the 90's, or early 2000's, probably used in gazillions of tracks.
Yeah, but, we're talking about why people should like synths, not hate them ;)

Well, i'd say that pretty much depends on your view point. For example, i find that the Arturia Brute analog synths are screaming, bland sounding, dry like a fart, pigs, and i'd never buy one of those. So, no matter what the technology behind it, many things are surely a matter of taste.

I found an interesting comment by Don Solaris about the JV-1080 hardware (aka "Super JV"):
Super JV was based on a far superior RISC processor which at that time was state of the art (sort of) hence the machine can take a lot of modulations real time, without sustaining damage on envelopes and LFOs – which again is welcome or not so welcome. This depends whether you prefer jumping envelopes as “more analog” while you tweak some parameter live on a synth. Which one should you buy? Well, JV-80 was really cool synth, however on your place i would go with 1080. I tested JV-1000 against Super JV and you can practically cover all of the JV sounds, minus aliasing artefacts! So for the harsh sound factor (alias abuse), or 100% authenticity, you will go JV-80/880 route, other than that look into 1080 or even better 2080 direction.
Other comments about JV-1080 hardware (again by Don Solaris):
- Super JV has a filter from JD series. JV-880 has original filter from JV-80 series (also used in JV-90 and JV-1000). Emulation of that filter is possible with Super JV though it is less precise as you have less values to choose, particularly if you’re trying to emulate the “soft” resonance option from the JV. We discussed resonance compensation values above for both the hard and soft setting in the JV-80.

- Antialiasing filter in Super JV is superior to the one in JV – which, depending on what kind of sounds you like is – welcome – or not so welcome feature. Mirroring in higher frequencies, particularly when using rich textures can fool the listener thinking the unit is 44kHz waveform set, though in reality it is not, it is 32kHz just like Super JV. I talk about mirroring above 16kHz which can happen during transposition, thought the waveforms are all 32 kHz.
link to the website:
http://www.donsolaris.com/?p=404
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

Ingonator wrote:I found an interesting comment by Don Solaris...

Well done, keep it to yourself next time eh :wink:

chk071 wrote:
I'm sure you're not a fan of the music...
Im not. I despise that unimaginative bandwagon genre.

chk071 wrote:Well, i'd say that pretty much depends on your view point. For example, i find that the Arturia Brute analog synths are screaming, bland sounding, dry like a fart, pigs, and i'd never buy one of those. So, no matter what the technology behind it, many things are surely a matter of taste.

Oh cmon, if you can't make fun of circa 2000 trance, what can you make fun of?

But here you go, I'm sure this will moisten some undies around here...Nord G1 and JP8000 if I'm not mistaken...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAbdkrNILk4

OMG, I'm being taken to another level, OMG OMG, it's so beautiful, everybody's beautiful, GROUP HUG!!!!!

AnX wrote:
chk071 wrote:
I'm sure you're not a fan of the music...
Im not. I despise that unimaginative bandwagon genre.
TBH, i'm having a hard time calling modular Berlin School fart sounds, which many here seem to prefer, any more imaginative. :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMnVaEJ_rIY

But, again, each to his like. Just saying that your "crap" might be others "gold".

Ingonator wrote:Yes, all 1083 PCM waveforms of XV-5080 seem to be included (only 448 in the real JV-1080/2080).
It's pretty great that Roland haven't skimped and just made a plain 1080, but gone the extra mile and included stuff from later models.

Obviously it depends on your tastes and veiwpoint. The XV-5080/Fantom engine is good, and the V-Synth had good things about it, and others too, the D-50 being a significant milstone of course. But I will always prefer the Roland of the '80s to the subsequent decades in general.
ghettosynth wrote:That said, I think people do forget how much criticism there was of 90s romplers.
Criticism of romplers yes, but this was mainly the inflexibility of the *true* original romplers of the time - the U110/U20/Proteus type of thing, which were basically sample playback machines with a few adjustable envelopes - not that inspiring. Later ones, with true synthesis engines, were a lot more useful and flexible, and the 1080 at the time sounded good and had great polyphony so was a bit of a sequencing powerhouse.
ghettosynth wrote:From Roland's POV though, this (old digital clones) is probably a better way to sucker people onto the Roland cash teet. I honestly don't understand the mind of the purist collector.
Or maybe some people just like things you don't like, and vice versa. I like my XV-5080, but not for trumpets and pianos and other short rompler multisamples etc, but because it's a great sounding engine with a particular character I like, flexible, and with lots of voices.

I'd say , look beyond the presets and start rolling your own .
But you obviously never even seen a jv in action , let alone touched one .
Mighty don solaris demo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIoYylo7nS4&t=578s
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Nothing in the manual about sysex support - maybe I'll have to write a convertor utility like I did for the D-50 plugin. There are quite a few JV-1080 patches out there, as well as the full 2080/5080 presets.

*If* this has the full XV-5080 engine, waves, and FX stuff, then it would be very cool if I could get my favourite 5080 patches in there. I'm away from my hardware at the moment, but look forward to getting into this after Christmas...

Return to “Instruments”