AudioThing releases Outer Verb, Vintage Spring Reverb (Important Announcement!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Outer Verb

We heard you!
We are working on a new version which will include the Tape Echo section along with all the features of Outer Verb. It's a new plugin (name pending...wanna help?) and it will be a FREE update for Outer Verb owners. So, you can go ahead and buy Outer Verb now, consider it as a pre-order for the new plugin.
The full price is going to be higher (so, hurry up! :o).
Development could take 1 to 2 months.

Please note that Outer Verb will be discontinued after the release of the new plugin.

Outer Verb is a spring reverb plugin emulation based on the reverb tank of a famous vintage tape echo made in the early seventies (photo).
Outer Verb uses a combination of convolution and modelling to recreate the vintage feeling of that famous spring reverb tone. The input stage can be pushed to introduce a warm saturation before the reverb effect. We've also modelled the EQ section of the original unit which affect only the reverb wet signal.

Details
  • Price: $39 / €39 (VAT inc.)
  • Vintage Spring Reverb
  • Two decay settings: short and long
  • EQ (Bass, Treble)
  • Background Noise with Envelope
  • Lightweight on CPU
  • Preset system with randomizer
  • Formats: VST, AU, and AAX (32/64bit)
SoundCloud Demo: https://soundcloud.com/audiothing/sets/outer-verb
Video Overview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTG57oNeIno
Video Demo by Davide Pepi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpimwEWEAXk

Product Page: https://www.audiothing.net/effects/outer-verb/
Last edited by audiothing on Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:22 pm, edited 6 times in total.
AudioThing (VST, AU, AAX, CLAP Plugins)
Instagram | Twitter | Discord Server

I like what you've done with this reverb, really easy to use!

Penelope wrote:I like what you've done with this reverb, really easy to use!
Thank you! :)

I don't quite get the "it's a spring reverb but based on a tape echo tank" thing...
Demo/soundtrack work: https://soundcloud.com/antaln
My post/prog rock band: http://www.sylvium.com

evilantal wrote:I don't quite get the "it's a spring reverb but based on a tape echo tank" thing...
the Roland RE-201 Space Echo had a spring reverb onboard.

just tried this out earlier. pretty decent. the "random" feature seems pretty useless though, there's like three different parameters that you'd want to adjust at any time. :hihi:

EDIT: lol, just noticed that you can "tap" it by clicking on the tolex case around the edges. ha!

jbuonacc wrote:
evilantal wrote:I don't quite get the "it's a spring reverb but based on a tape echo tank" thing...
the Roland RE-201 Space Echo had a spring reverb onboard.

just tried this out earlier. pretty decent. the "random" feature seems pretty useless though, there's like three different parameters that you'd want to adjust at any time. :hihi:

EDIT: lol, just noticed that you can "tap" it by clicking on the tolex case around the edges. ha!
Is that a first, for a faux case to have a function?

not really, the old GSi spring reverb had a spot on the GUI that you could click on to "knock" it. i think there's another one or two that i'm forgetting.

really like how AudioThing did it here, i wasn't expecting it (not sure if it's mentioned in the manual or not).

I like the sound but the cpu usage is not that lightweight for me so I'm sticking with the good old GSi GS-201 which has also the delay onboard :) Will AudioThing add the delay too? Why did you leave it out?
No band limits, aliasing is the noise of freedom!

jbuonacc wrote:not really, the old GSi spring reverb had a spot on the GUI that you could click on to "knock" it. i think there's another one or two that i'm forgetting.
You can shake the Softube one too, and also the one in (I think) Diva or is it Bazille?

Nielzie wrote:I'm sticking with the good old GSi GS-201 which has also the delay onboard :) Will AudioThing add the delay too?
I did try the Outer Verb and for sure, the reverb is very nice. Then I remembered I had the old GSi-201 so I blew the dust off it and did an A/B. If I'm honest, there's not enough difference for me to justify buying the AudioThing version. And of course, the GSi has the tape delay too which is really, really good. The three different tape types are also very useful.

If the AudioThing plugin was a 1:1 of the Space Echo with tape delay, three heads, tape variations AND the reverb, I'd buy it for sure. But right now, the GSi, even in 32-bit guise, is, surprisingly, really good. Good enough that I'm prepared to make an exception to my "no 32 bit plugins" rule and start using this again.
A bit fried in the higher freqs

As jbuonacc said, the Roland Space Echo RE-201 has a spring reverb inside along with the tape echo.
jbuonacc wrote:EDIT: lol, just noticed that you can "tap" it by clicking on the tolex case around the edges. ha!
Ah, yeah, it was meant as an easter egg!
Although I never "tapped" the RE-201, I usually abuse the reverb tank on my modular :)

Nielzie wrote:I like the sound but the cpu usage is not that lightweight for me so I'm sticking with the good old GSi GS-201 which has also the delay onboard :) Will AudioThing add the delay too? Why did you leave it out?
The HQ mode is on by the default. You can click on the More button and disable it, see if it improves the CPU. On my old MacBook it's not draining more than 4-5% in HQ mode.
We tried to have a good balance between the convolution and the algorithm part (which is quite CPU intensive), but yes, depending on the project you load it might be a good idea to switch off the HQ mode.

cprompt wrote:
Nielzie wrote:I'm sticking with the good old GSi GS-201 which has also the delay onboard :) Will AudioThing add the delay too?
I did try the Outer Verb and for sure, the reverb is very nice. Then I remembered I had the old GSi-201 so I blew the dust off it and did an A/B. If I'm honest, there's not enough difference for me to justify buying the AudioThing version. And of course, the GSi has the tape delay too which is really, really good. The three different tape types are also very useful.

If the AudioThing plugin was a 1:1 of the Space Echo with tape delay, three heads, tape variations AND the reverb, I'd buy it for sure. But right now, the GSi, even in 32-bit guise, is, surprisingly, really good. Good enough that I'm prepared to make an exception to my "no 32 bit plugins" rule and start using this again.
Thank you for the feedback! We really wanted to focus on the reverb part for now, in my opinion most of the other Space Echo emulations around didn't do enough justice to that reverb. Anyway, I'm sure we'll work on the full echo emulation in the future...our mailbox is already flooded with requests, so it's on the to-do list now :)

audiothing wrote:Anyway, I'm sure we'll work on the full echo emulation in the future...our mailbox is already flooded with requests, so it's on the to-do list now :)
I don't think there are many proper emulations of the Space Echo - I think UAD has one, and of course the venerable GSi one which falls under the category of abandonware now I think. So if (when) you do one, I'm sure it will be very warmly received, especially as I have no doubt that it will be excellent.
A bit fried in the higher freqs

cprompt wrote:
audiothing wrote:Anyway, I'm sure we'll work on the full echo emulation in the future...our mailbox is already flooded with requests, so it's on the to-do list now :)
I don't think there are many proper emulations of the Space Echo - I think UAD has one, and of course the venerable GSi one which falls under the category of abandonware now I think. So if (when) you do one, I'm sure it will be very warmly received, especially as I have no doubt that it will be excellent.
Thank you very much.

Return to “Effects”