Cytomic "The Scream" stomp box distortion plugin

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
sleepcircle
KVRist
347 posts since 28 Nov, 2016

Post Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:46 am

Don't muzzle the ox who's threshing out your grain. (1 Timothy 5:18)
let him get the first few mouthfuls of the results of his hard work

(i'm maybe 85% sure you were kidding when you called him a filthy capitalist, this is just for the peace of mind of the 15% of me that isn't.)

VariKusBrainZ
KVRAF
8367 posts since 16 Dec, 2002

Re: Cytomic "The Scream" stomp box distortion plugin

Post Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:14 am

sleepcircle wrote:Don't muzzle the ox who's threshing out your grain. (1 Timothy 5:18)

(i'm maybe 85% sure you were kidding when you called him a filthy capitalist, this is just for the peace of mind of the 15% of me that isn't.)
I can confirm I was joking :)

zvenx
KVRAF
6628 posts since 16 Feb, 2005 from Kingston, Jamaica

Post Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:37 am

VariKusBrainZ wrote:
sleepcircle wrote:Don't muzzle the ox who's threshing out your grain. (1 Timothy 5:18)

I can confirm I was joking :)

That's how I read it too. :-)
rsp
sound sculptist

sleepcircle
KVRist

Post Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:53 am

The 15% of me thanks you for your kind forbearance in confirming that Humour occurred.

andy-cytomic
KVRAF
2176 posts since 3 Dec, 2008

Post Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:30 am

VariKusBrainZ wrote:^
You filthy capitalist
I find this offensive, I'll have you know I wash daily and have excellent personal hygiene :D

Guilty as charged on the capitalist bit, I love running my own boutique plugin company and having exclusive tech to offer :tu:
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com

acousticglue
KVRist
432 posts since 27 May, 2008

Post Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:21 am

And all this is exciting info? Layman here. When will it be done is the begging question

sleepcircle
KVRist

Post Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:51 pm

well it was exciting to me, also a layman.

andy-cytomic
KVRAF

Post Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:56 pm

acousticglue wrote:And all this is exciting info? Layman here. When will it be done is the begging question
The plugin offers full HD quality right now, you can already do way more than a the $179 pedal for $29 (eg stereo, customisation of the diodes and filtering around the drive, adjustable slew rate limiting etc etc). The final release won't sound any better, so if you're holding off for some reason you don't have to worry.

The final version will have the lower quality MD fixed cpu solver, and a slicker GUI with randomisation and some presets, are you waiting on one of those things?

zvenx
KVRAF
6628 posts since 16 Feb, 2005 from Kingston, Jamaica

Post Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:24 pm

andy-cytomic wrote:
acousticglue wrote:And all this is exciting info? Layman here. When will it be done is the begging question
The plugin offers full HD quality right now, you can already do way more than a the $179 pedal for $29 (eg stereo, customisation of the diodes and filtering around the drive, adjustable slew rate limiting etc etc). The final release won't sound any better, so if you're holding off for some reason you don't have to worry.

The final version will have the lower quality MD fixed cpu solver, and a slicker GUI with randomisation and some presets, are you waiting on one of those things?

AT HD mode the final version wouldn't have the much lighter cpu load or that new method is only for MD mode?
rsp
sound sculptist

andy-cytomic
KVRAF

Post Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:41 pm

zvenx wrote: AT HD mode the final version wouldn't have the much lighter cpu load or that new method is only for MD mode?
rsp
The current HD mode will remain identical. It is a brute force MNA solver, and as illustrated in the plots I posted earlier, if you have a signal with high frequencies, or set the knobs to "hard to solve" settings, the CPU usage will increase. The entire point of the MD mode is to have a fixed and lower amount of CPU, and it will remain fixed no matter the input signal or settings. I will drop as much detail as needed to make sure the MD mode is lower CPU.

The big news with the PDK solver is I hope not to have to drop much detail at all for the MD mode, I'll hopefully have almost all the detail of the full solver, but with a low and fixed amount of CPU. I'll hopefully be able to shed more light on this at the end of the week. If things are still too intensive with the PDK solver I'll have to revert to the DK solver and not support slew rate limiting of the op-amp.

I will also add an use HD on render setting, so you can automatically switch to full MNA quality on render, so you can have fixed low cpu when tracking using the MD mode, then bounce at the best quality (you can also switch the amount of oversampling on render).

acousticglue
KVRist
432 posts since 27 May, 2008

Post Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:59 pm

Ok

andy-cytomic
KVRAF

Post Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:20 pm

Also please note that when I am talking about dropping detail for the MD version this is only in relation to the HD model. I'll still include more detail than other developer's full versions in my cutdown model!

andy-cytomic
KVRAF

Post Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:41 pm

acousticglue wrote:Ok
Is it primarily lower CPU you are after? If so can you please let me know which CPU you have, and how much The Scream is currently using on your system? Also what would you like the CPU to measure in MD mode that would make you happy? I am specifically targeting the MD mode to those that are CPU sensitive, so if that's you I would love to hear from you!

andy-cytomic
KVRAF

Post Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:44 am

I'm still working away flat out, and everything is still looking great for the new PDK method. The updated expression class is doing brilliant optimisations, it's pulled out every common sub-expression that it can and pre-computes as many terms as possible to make the innermost loop lean. Looking at the generated code there is nothing I could do manually to make it any faster, it is a thing of beauty if if you're into raw number crunching :)

I'm updating the new solver to generate c++ code, it's looking like this time next week to have some hard numbers in terms of performance boost.

Elevated_being
KVRist
153 posts since 31 Jan, 2014 from Denmark

Post Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:45 pm

How many presets will the final release have?
I have been digging in to the demo, but I'm curious what other people can do with the MOD section. :)
I can't lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies.

Return to “Effects”