Halion 6 or Falcon?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Falcon HALion 7

From the looks of it, the wavetable oscilator of halion 6 blows away the wavetable functions in Falcon. It looks seriously impressive. Also the ability to sample directly in Halion looks good and I think the overall sound quality, to my ears, seems much better in Halion. But of course you miss the FM module, the pluck module, some sample playback modes from Falcon. And the modulation workflow looks different. Falcon wasn't for me, but the support was excellent, I doubt you'll get that good of support from Steinberg!

Hello,
I use both. They complement each other very well.

In Falcon also tools for FM, physical modeling for plucksounds and a drumsynth included.

In HALion 6 not yet. HALion can Sampling, Falcon not. HALion has Autoloop, Falcon not.

Falcon is VST2 only, no VST3.

The factory library in Falcon is limited to electronic music, there are no pianos, strings, choirs, brasses, guitars etc. included.

If you have the money, you should take both.

The basic sound of the Falcon I find something more modern than HALion. Falcon has good filters, and onboard effects. A very good reverb, delay, chorus and EQ.

maximoog wrote:Hello,
I
In HALion 6 not yet. HALion can Sampling, Falcon not. HALion has Autoloop, Falcon not.
Falcon can import and play samples. I might not understand what you mean.

backagain wrote:
maximoog wrote:In HALion 6 not yet. HALion can Sampling, Falcon not. HALion has Autoloop, Falcon not.
Yes Falcon can play samples.

But with HALion you can "record directly into HALion from any internal or external source and have your samples cut, mapped and ready to play in no time with the new live-sampling editor."

Don't forget all the granular synthesis modes in Falcon...
"and the Word was Sound..."
https://www.youtube.com/user/InLightTone

HALion does granular synthesis as well..
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

Numanoid wrote: But with HALion you can "record directly into HALion from any internal or external source and have your samples cut, mapped and ready to play in no time with the new live-sampling editor."
Falcon has a Slice option to chop up waves at their transients and map to keyboard. What's the difference?

Can Falcon be used as an effects processor receiving audio form a DAW audio send on a aux return?

backagain wrote:
Numanoid wrote: But with HALion you can "record directly into HALion from any internal or external source and have your samples cut, mapped and ready to play in no time with the new live-sampling editor."
Falcon has a Slice option to chop up waves at their transients and map to keyboard. What's the difference?
?

Do you understand what sampling is about, in the old school sense ?

Loading is not the same as recording.

For some users recording directly into the sampler is of utmost importance, and Falcon can't do that, but Halion 6 can.

backagain wrote:
maximoog wrote:Hello,
I
That's not sampling. That's rompling.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

How stable runs Halion 6? And what about CPU load please?
Anyone tried Halion with Maschine! yet?
Does Halion has a autoloop , how about a loop editor Where youncan overlap the loop start with the loop end to be able to create perfect loop s easily ?
Studio One, Logic
macOS
–– -
http://ansolas.de

Most important (for me)...does it support multi-core or will it run on one core like Falcon?
And i hope it supports .tun file import!

HALion comes with a better factory library, Falcon has better libraries available for it. Falcon is an extremely capable synthesizer in its own right, moreso than HALion.

Uncle E wrote: Falcon is an extremely capable synthesizer in its own right, moreso than HALion.
Surely that must depend on what types of synthesis are more important to you. While falcon has FM and the pluck thing, those are really pretty basic (modulation system aside which seems equally flexible in both products). But when you look at the wavetable synthesis, you can not really compare Falcon to Halion. The resynthesis and morphing looks extremely powerful in Halion. And honestly I just don't think the wavetable module sounds very good in Falcon, but that's personal.

What Falcon does seem to have is many different sample playing modes of various quality, in particular from IRCAM, with high quality stretching. I'm still not sure what modes Halion has other normal playback and granular...

"record directly into HALion"
does the live sample recording work also with ableton in VST2 and are there any features missing if you don't use cubase ?

Return to “Instruments”