Midi keyboards with polyphonic aftertouch?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Vax are not quite DIY but "some assembly required" (estimated 90 minutes) and it's open source with many cool design features so you can get to know your instrument inside-out. Here are the assembly instructions with times: http://vaxmidi.com/assembly-instructions.html (I have been following this project for a while)
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Michael L wrote:Buy a Vax midi controller: 4, 6 or 8 octaves (96 keys). From the Features description:

Polyphonic Aftertouch changes the tonal characteristics of a note while it is being held. VAXMIDI keys strike felt first for a traditional feel, but underneath the felt is a layer of urethane foam that compresses as you press harder. With 10 levels of programmable sensitivity, you can set the degree of aftertouch. Because the key design incorporates a stainless steel bar, you can actually bend the key by sliding your finger up on the key. This creates an additional level of aftertouch control, making other effects, even tremelo, possible.

Release velocity sends a MIDI message based on the speed you release a note. You can, for example, control the envelope (or reverberation) based on how quickly you release a note. Release quickly and the note cuts off immediately, release slowly and the note slowly fades away.

vaxmidi.com

(I don't have one because my technique is not yet good enough to take advantage of Vax awesomeness.)
4 octaves is too little, I currently have 4 octaves and it sucks for playing Rhodes.
So, I would need the 6-octave version, which is 900 dollars. Importing that thing from the US would increase the price considerably, so I might as well buy a Doepfer. 1000+ dollars or euros is not my idea of affordable, frankly. I am just an amateur, after all.

Since someone asked, my playing is not that good, no.
For instance, I have a problem with synths set to full velocity sensitivity. Then again, as long the sensitivity is not there on the equipment's part, I will never develop the sensitivity myself. It's a vicious circle :)

A vicious circle of fifths :wheee:
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Michael L wrote:Vax are not quite DIY but "some assembly required" (estimated 90 minutes) and it's open source with many cool design features so you can get to know your instrument inside-out. Here are the assembly instructions with times: http://vaxmidi.com/assembly-instructions.html (I have been following this project for a while)

Oh, it's definitely a DIY project. It's clear from the online instructions you link, which also stipulate that wit will take 4 hours and not 90 minutes:
You will need about 4 uninterrupted hours to complete the task
But it's cool. Not complaining just pointing out it's a proper DIY job however you look at it.
Thinking it through, though, I wouldn't even have the space to do the assembly. Not for 4 hours, not with the kids running amok all around the room. haha!
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

I have an old Ensoniq VFX (bought new myself many years ago), and love the way it's poly aftertouch works. It basically doesn't do anything unless you really press into the keys, but being able to make strings or horns stand out individually is really nice.

My XKEY just can't achieve that, and I've tried calibrating the sensitivity to no avail. It works, but generates SO much data when PolyAT is enabled it confuses a DAW, and isn't smooth at all.

On the other hand, I can attest to the fear of buying the VFX. Every few years I have to take the whole thing apart, as I get the dreaded "keyboard calibration error" when the internal buss between the 2 halves of the keyboard get somewhat corroded. And this isn't taken on the road - it sits on a tabletop and only moves the few times *I* have moved.
Waveform 11; Win10 desktop/8 Gig; Win8 Laptop 4Gig; MPK261; VFX+disfunctional ESQ-1

To answer the actual question...most inexpensive 61-key (or greater) MIDI controllers with aftertouch:

Swissonic Controlkey 88 $250
M Audio Oxygen 61 Pro $300
Nektar Panorama T6 $300
Nektar Impact GXP88 $320

Keith McMillan K Board C $119

mixyguy2 wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:32 am To answer the actual question...most inexpensive 61-key (or greater) MIDI controllers with aftertouch:

Swissonic Controlkey 88 $250
M Audio Oxygen 61 Pro $300
Nektar Panorama T6 $300
Nektar Impact GXP88 $320
Not an answer to the actual question.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Your lowest cost option for polyphonic aftertouch in 2022 is a Hydrasynth.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:10 am Not an answer to the actual question.
ahh yeah these may not be polyphonic, my bad!

mixyguy2 wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:38 pm
zerocrossing wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:10 am Not an answer to the actual question.
ahh yeah these may not be polyphonic, my bad!
Polyphonic is still really rare. The only instruments currently being made that feature it are the Iridium and Hydrasynth. I think CME and McMillian make some controllers, though the McMillian might be MPE (which is kind of channel aftertouch over many channels, a bit different but ultimately more powerful) and neither feature traditional keys.

There are a few MPE controllers, but again, nothing with traditional style keys. The Osmose promised to have both traditional style keys and MPE, but… well it’s having a lot of trouble shipping.

I almost bought a Hydrasynth Deluxe for its polyphonic aftertouch, but I’ve heard the quality of the keys isn’t that great. I’ve already got a General Music (GEM) S2 that has a great feeling keybed. It’s pretty damn old, but I’m going to hang on to it until it fails, and hopefully by then someone will be making a 61 key controller with polyphonic aftertouch.
Zerocrossing Media

I think there are some not too pricey workstations (as workstations go) that have it, but don't recall offhand FWIW

mixyguy2 wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:49 pm I think there are some not too pricey workstations (as workstations go) that have it, but don't recall offhand FWIW
Is this true? I'm doing a studio shrink and I want one keyboard that I love. At the moment, I have keybeds that I tolerate.

For PolyAT try to find GEM S2 S2 Turbo, S3, S3 Turbo

Ndefx wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:31 pm For PolyAT try to find GEM S2 S2 Turbo, S3, S3 Turbo
Since I'm in the U.S., that's unlikely. I'm looking for something new. I might just have to bite the bullet and get the Osmos.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”