Do Campanologists Dream Of Electric Bells?

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://soundcloud.com/chameleon-music/ ... tric-bells?

Sacred Spaces Project:
citiesandmemory.com/sacredspaces/

Created using Reaktor 5 and Kontakt 5; hosted in Sonar X1.

All parts in this one, (except the electric piano solo), were created directly from fragments of the original field recording. Various snippets of the Canadian recording, (not just the bells, but other incidental noises as well) were loaded up into five granular samplers for extensive editing.

The electric piano solo was performed using the Scarbee Mark 1 virtual instrument.

Original Field Recording:
https://soundcloud.com/chameleon-music/ ... ric-boivin

Really neat ambient track. I'm particularly impressed by how much you accomplished just by using that bell track.

amazing! always enjoy the ambience of your works :tu:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

@David:
Thanks for the feedback. In some ways, the construction of so many ideas from that field recording got in the way of the composing! I spent way too long creating all those sounds and nearly forgot about actually creating a coherent piece of music!

@layzer:
Thank you. I love doing the more experimental, ambient style, but rarely get any call for it from paying clients....just occasionally! the media industries are still very 'middle of the road' in so many ways; the internet hasn't really changed their 'safe' core one tiny bit!

I like how this evolves from a piece of sonic sculpture into a full-blown piece of groovy electronica. All of the elements are well-constructed, and the piano gives the piece a nice balance, adding a "human" touch to proceedings, and driving the track along.

Good work :)

Thanks for the feedback, Tim.

I'm still not 100% sure about the Rhodes solo...I'd run out of ideas with regard to the use of the original field recording and needed something to take the track 'somewhere'!

The bell-like tones of the Rhodes seemed to fit, but I do realize that some listeners might feel that it suddenly takes the piece in a quite unexpected direction!
Last edited by ChamMusic on Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Very cool indeed Mark.
Love how the start sounds nothing like bells but I can hear the source peeping through. Fabulous flow to it and they piano is an inspired choice.

Isn't it great that the bells sound completely unlike bells and the piano has a bell like character. ;)

Well done!

Cheers,
John
:)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

Thanks John,

"bells sound completely unlike bells and the piano has a bell like character"...That was definitely the rationale behind the choice of a Rhodes piano....just seemed to fit in an 'upside down / back to front' kind of way! :0)

Return to “Music Cafe”