vst equivalent to k2000

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
ghettosynth
KVRAF
11097 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Post Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:42 pm

Sampleconstruct wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
Do you have the KDFX unit? That really did sound great at the time.
Yes, I remember doing entire mixes inside K2600, sometimes when no acoustic tracks were involved, there was no need to transfer all audio to digital tape first (DA-88), the effects inside sufficed.
Ah, I was confused. Yes, KDFX was standard on the K2600 but an option on the K2500. I'd put a 61 key K2600 in my hardware studio today if I could find one cheap enough. I think for now, my SY77 is going to replace my JD800 once I fix the display.

bmanic
KVRAF
8023 posts since 3 Feb, 2003 from Finland, Espoo

Re: vst equivalent to k2000

Post Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:13 pm

I've been meaning to do some more sounds for my K2000RS but man.. I'm starting to suffer from the "dim LCD" problem and I don't feel like fixing it (there are some kits available on ebay). Don't get me wrong.. it's one of the very first synths I ever played seriously around with and learned most of my synthesis skills from but boy is it clunky to use by today's standards. I just don't seem to have the patience.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

zerocrossing
KVRAF
9298 posts since 26 Jun, 2006 from San Francisco Bay Area

Post Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:50 pm

I've never owned or played a Kurzweil, but I've heard lots of amazing things about how deep the V.A.S.T. engine is, yet I've also never heard a particularly interesting demo of it. I looked a few up on YouTube, and like always they just sounded like basic bread and butter synth stuff. Not particularly great sounding by today's standards. Am I missing something?
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

ghettosynth
KVRAF

Post Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:44 pm

zerocrossing wrote:I've never owned or played a Kurzweil, but I've heard lots of amazing things about how deep the V.A.S.T. engine is, yet I've also never heard a particularly interesting demo of it. I looked a few up on YouTube, and like always they just sounded like basic bread and butter synth stuff. Not particularly great sounding by today's standards. Am I missing something?
I think that people buy into the hype a bit. It's essentially a simple semi-modular system where you can choose different algorithms and then within those fixed routing algorithms choose different modules. Not unlike Diva, except that the variation is greater, but the sound quality is much lower.

Actually, I think that it's a lot like Absynth and it wouldn't surprise me to learn that Absynth was inspired, at least in part, by the K2000. You should definitely think of it like that, however, as opposed to thinking of it like Kontakt. You are really limited with a max of IIRC, 16MB of Ram for samples. You shouldn't think of it as an excellent VA either, because the resonant filter DSP is rather weak.

They have improved the VA aspects of it in the newer models, but I haven't really been keeping up. My days of spending three grand plus on a keyboard that isn't analog are gone.

bmanic
KVRAF
8023 posts since 3 Feb, 2003 from Finland, Espoo

Post Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:01 am

zerocrossing wrote:I've never owned or played a Kurzweil, but I've heard lots of amazing things about how deep the V.A.S.T. engine is, yet I've also never heard a particularly interesting demo of it. I looked a few up on YouTube, and like always they just sounded like basic bread and butter synth stuff. Not particularly great sounding by today's standards. Am I missing something?
V.A.S.T mainly gets it's reputation from the early days of digital synthesis. It _is_ a very flexible type of synthesis architecture but calling it "super complex" when compared to the times of today is definitely hyperbole.

My K2000RS comes with 64mb of RAM. Not sure at what point they upgraded the maximum amount as I don't think version 1.0 was capable of using 64mb. That's the cool thing about Kurzweil, they kept updating the software side of things giving it much more power. As for ROM.. it came with 8mb standard and could be upgraded to something like 24mb (which was massive at the time).

The sequencer in that beast is also pretty damn fully fledged considering how old it is.

Then finally there's the peculiar sound quality. Not sure what it is about Kurzweil stuff but they have a very distinct soft pillowy sound. No matter how you try to tweak and twist things, as soon as you use the built in ROM sounds, you end up with a "Kurzweil signature sound" kind of thing. There's something weird and whacky about that synth. Especially the earlier K2000 series. Heck even the heavily aliasing wavewrap thing sounds sweet. :lol:
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

djmino02
KVRian
662 posts since 24 Nov, 2011

Post Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:52 pm

ghettosynth wrote: IIRC, someone is working on an emulation and they seemed to be making good progress, I'd look it up if you're interested. There's a thread somewhere on KVR about it.
this sounds interesting

ghettosynth
KVRAF

Post Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:35 pm

Samuel_S
KVRist
115 posts since 26 Apr, 2018 from USA

Post Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:24 pm

Hi everyone, I'm here because I too am searching for VST emulations of vintage synthesizers.
This is Samuel S. I make music for fun even if it isn't music.

deastman
KVRAF
6740 posts since 7 Aug, 2003 from San Francisco Bay Area

Post Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:06 pm

Samuel_S wrote:Hi everyone, I'm here because I too am searching for VST emulations of vintage synthesizers.
Are you sure? That’s an oddly vague statement to make in an otherwise specific (and old) thread.

Spam bots not withstanding, I’ve been toying with the idea of renovating my old K2000. It currently has one broken key, courtesy of my ex-wife. My daughter is currently using it just for the piano sound, and last I saw she had taped note names on all the keys. :lol: I’d like to replace the broken key, put in an OLED display, and maybe replace the HDD and floppy with SD cards.

You know, so it will sit better in the mix. :roll:
Incomplete list of my gear: 110V AC to 12V DC 1.5A power supply (+ tip)

felis
KVRist
359 posts since 25 Jul, 2009

Post Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:26 pm

No, I don't think you're missing something.
I had a K2600 for about 10 years. I liked it best as a controller. The KDFX were pretty good, and you could assign a lot of controls to its parameters. The stock sounds were decent, and I think they hold up OK today.
Like others have said, I think VAST is a little overrated, especially in today's environment.
I don't think you'll run across anything else that has as comprehensive a set of tools for complex modulations though. It was designed well in the first place, and that goes a long way.

It was kind of clunky to get around on. And parts of it I found to be just a bit overdone, which made editing a bit of a chore. Similar complaint as is often heard about the Andromeda.
For example, the envelopes on the K had 3 separate attack and 3 separate release stages.
It could do some cool stuff, like take on different levels, both above and below the sustain level when you hit or release a key, and they had a lot of looping options.

But with that kind of complexity in all the areas, you can get lost programming it for hours, and come out sounding a little like something that would take minutes on another board.
There are ASR's, LFO's, FUN's, and lots of other stuff that are equally complex, and everything can modulate everything else from a list of stuff as long as your arm.
If you enjoy programming/editing patches it's heaven.
The editing programs available for the PC3 series and later would certainly take some of the drudgery out of programming.
Anyways, as I said, the board made a really good controller, and for me that was its best feature.
Last edited by felis on Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

tristan-
KVRist
325 posts since 11 Dec, 2004

Post Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:07 am

Those are great - I bought them for my K2600. also check out the Syntonia stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uza7vFEfDME

Samuel_S
KVRist

Post Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:54 am

deastman wrote:
Samuel_S wrote:Hi everyone, I'm here because I too am searching for VST emulations of vintage synthesizers.
Are you sure? That’s an oddly vague statement to make in an otherwise specific (and old) thread.

Spam bots not withstanding, I’ve been toying with the idea of renovating my old K2000. It currently has one broken key, courtesy of my ex-wife. My daughter is currently using it just for the piano sound, and last I saw she had taped note names on all the keys. :lol: I’d like to replace the broken key, put in an OLED display, and maybe replace the HDD and floppy with SD cards.

You know, so it will sit better in the mix. :roll:
Well in general VST emulations of vintage synthesizers are what I'm looking for, but I'm more curious about the Ensoniq, Kawai and Kurzweil synthesizers since they don't get much love and/or exposure in software form. I've last seen a Kurzweil K2000 on a Craigslist from some guy around my area and he said he used to be part of a band or whatever so I wanted to see what was so cool about the K2000.
EDIT: The Craigslist listing now nearby is a K2600X is which I'm really curious about but it's like 300 bucks

felis
KVRist
359 posts since 25 Jul, 2009

Post Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:55 pm

Samuel_S wrote: .....EDIT: The Craigslist listing now nearby is a K2600X is which I'm really curious about but it's like 300 bucks
I'd be cautious about that one. They're pretty old now, and for that price, I think there must be something wrong with it. They were very expensive when new.
If you're not familiar with them, you'll never be able to check it out properly.

About the vst thing: I actually wrote to Kurzweil about 15 years ago or so, asking if vast wold ever be available as a vst, and their answer at the time was a pretty definite no.
That was a long time, but seeing as how they're just coming out with new boards, I'd bet the answer would still be no.

nordickvr
KVRian
918 posts since 29 Sep, 2013

Post Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:15 pm

Just an info you’d like to know about.
K2600 FXs are in another league compared to the K2000 ones.

Samuel_S
KVRist

Post Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:22 pm

felis wrote:
Samuel_S wrote: .....EDIT: The Craigslist listing now nearby is a K2600X is which I'm really curious about but it's like 300 bucks
I'd be cautious about that one. They're pretty old now, and for that price, I think there must be something wrong with it. They were very expensive when new.
If you're not familiar with them, you'll never be able to check it out properly.

About the vst thing: I actually wrote to Kurzweil about 15 years ago or so, asking if vast wold ever be available as a vst, and their answer at the time was a pretty definite no.
That was a long time, but seeing as how they're just coming out with new boards, I'd bet the answer would still be no.
The listing did admittedly say there was something wrong with it, stating "because the large ribbon strip no longer works" and "the floppy drive does not function". You can check it for yourself here

Return to “Instruments”