Fathom Synth Development Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

Yes

FathomSynth wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 6:54 pm :party: Fathom Synth Sound Bank Sale.

All individual sound banks $5.00.
The Ambietica Set is especially nice.

https://www.fathomsynth.com/banks

And I very much enjoyed the walk-through of patch creation on the Ambietica website:

http://ambietica.lyonsdenmultimedia.com/

Many thanks.
바보

+1 on the Ambietica stuffs. Brilliant.

bftucker wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 10:23 pm
The Ambietica Set is especially nice.

https://www.fathomsynth.com/banks

And I very much enjoyed the walk-through of patch creation on the Ambietica website:

http://ambietica.lyonsdenmultimedia.com/

Many thanks.
courtjestr wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 6:12 am +1 on the Ambietica stuffs. Brilliant.
Wow, thank you guys. I'm really happy you liked the sound bank. And for anyone who has Ambietic Atmospheres, It's just been updated to include 2 extra patches, and a few minor adjustments: "Masters of the Multiverse" (Morphing/Shimmering Drone Pad), and "Mythos of Revelation" (Mod Wheel Morphing Rhythm Pad). Enjoy! :D
Ambient Sound Design & Soundtrack Composition - http://ambietica.lyonsdenmultimedia.com/

By the way, Ambietic Atmospheres is now part of the Film Score Bundle.

You can get the full Film Score Bundle now for $15 bucks.

Ambietic Atmospheres
Solidtrax Science Fiction
Scrubbing Monkeys Purple Mist
Mountain Climber

Also, includes the full Mountain Climber Ableton host project file.

This is a very limited time offer, it is normally $45.00

I just bought 3 days ago Atmospheres, Science Fiction and Mountain Climber in individual packages instead of the Film Score Bundle, because I wanted Atmospheres bank much more than Purple Mist.
And now it's included? oh, well... :(

Anyway, +1 to Ambietica stuff :tu:

Did you buy them during the sale for $5 each?
If so, that would actually be the exact same cost, except you need Purple Mist also.
If you came out behind somehow PM email me here,
and I'll refund you the difference and give you a download for the missing bank.

Okay, I have to praise the customer service. Just got the missing fourth bank from the bundle :tu:

FathomSynth wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 8:12 pm How long do you want?
thank you. bought the soundtrack bundle.

Good to see development still continue. I just testing last release and got few issues. One with envelope sustain phase (envelope, adsr, adsr ez) cause some artifacts. Second, there israndom voice muting during playback. I will send more information later and probably also video showing the problem. Also have some suggestions 8) .

I will also post small track made with Fathom only. Usually synth are use for synth sounds but I always trying to make more organic (ehm acoustic) sounds. My included string preset in Fathom is not good enough so I'm working now on new "emotive" sustain strings with MW to control dynamics. I'm also planning to create staccato with dynamics from note velocity. I also made/making some other presets for this track that I will send to Everett when done but it should take a week, maybe more.

I have purchased another Ugrade to support you. I have also purchase that preset bundle to support you even more. I don't really need them since I do enjoy making my own sounds :P .

Hey, I just caught up on this thread after being out of town for a bit:

Can I reiterate some support for a Fathom Slack? Personally, I don't have much to say with regard to your business model or whatever, but I'd love to stay up to date and occasionally chime in on feature requests / bug reporting. A Slack would allow all the big Fathom fans to organize chat by channels AND it would allow you to make all your "CEO discussions" a little more private.

I know KVR is the go-to for these discussions, but I'm sure folks who just want to check in on development or ask questions would prefer a cleaner discussion thread here. Seems like a win-win for casual users and also insane people (like me).

Anyway, thanks for adding details about Detune in the manual. I think a lot of it was straightforward, but it's always nice to see under the hood.

EDIT: While we're talking Detune, here's a potential feature idea that I don't remember seeing before: a detune preset browser. A bunch of different detune settings that you can scroll through. I love all the detune options, but sometimes I dread going through and tweaking each voice individually, which really can talk a long time.

:phones: Trojak, Hi, thanks so much for your support, that really helps.

I noticed a few issues myself recently so there will probably be another quick bug fix release soon, so yes go ahead and post your issues so I can fix everything in one release.

I noticed some glitches when moving modulator envelope points and I think it is performing too many calculations. This can be cut down which will eliminate the glitches.

:phones: Willsavino, Yes, we are considering some sort of private forum for some of the KVR members here who are really effectively part of Seaweed Audio. I haven’t decided on the exact mechanics yet, but maybe you could send me some information on Slack, since I’m not familiar with it.

Wow, your detune idea is absolutely brilliant. The detune profiles are already saved to XML so making them browse-able would not be that difficult. I will try to work that into the same release as the CPU efficiency which will be Fathom 3.0.

:phones: Quick CPU update.

CPU processing development is now in full swing.

I have a test version of Intel AVX processing fully operational using the raw Intel intrinsic instructions. This is the real deal, not just telling Visual Studio to make vector code.

This week I started translating all my oscillator processing code into the AVX instructions. It is only a few hundred lines of code so it will not take more than a month.

The new code uses Intel’s 8 floating point wide AVX registers to run 8 voice channels all at once without a loop!

Basically the new design will crunch all 8 detune voices in one single pass without a loop, which is essentially an 8 X multiply in CPU power.

What this means is that if you design a preset with all mono oscillators and turn the detune up on all the oscillators to 8 detune voices, the CPU will not change!!! In terms of polyphony this will be somewhere between a 4 X and 8 X multiply in CPU.

This will finally bring Fathom into the realm of Sylenth and Omnisphere in efficiency since recently I tested our relative performance and we lag Omnisphere by about a factor of 4.

There will also be massive CPU gains in buffer calculations which will eliminate some of the glitches during playback when moving dials and envelope points.

I’ll keep you all posted as this develops.

But it’s looking like the Fathom 3.0 CPU release will be sometime this summer maybe 6 weeks from now.

Have you had the chance/facility to test these Intel AVX instructions on AMD processors too? Or does anyone know what Ryzen (and I guess excavator before it, as people may still be on that architecture too) performance is like with AVX?
I know from what technicians at work have said about AVX on Intel, it puts more load on the processor, so when we're overclocking new systems for customers, we only guarantee the overcolcks on non-AVX applications. AVX use heats them up more.
I'll try and ask more at work today when I get a chance.

I think the AMD equivalent of AVX is actually AVX "support" which uses the same instructions.

So Yes! I will be supporting the high performance CPU on AMD as well as Intel.

The only thing with AMD is that some of the current AMD processors AVX is only 128 bits wide
not 256 like Intel, which means that the multiply factor will be 4 X instead of 8X.

I think the very latest AMD though is 256 bits wide which of course is eight 32 bit floats.

Individual differences between Intel and AMD is not going to be a factor because any AVX
processor implementation will crunch all the registers at once each clock cycle
so the speed factor will be essentially the same. Other differences such as clock speed
or LX cache will be a bigger factor than differences in the AVX implementation.

Are you using AVX or AVX2?

Return to “Instruments”