Login / Register 0 items | $0.00 New @ KVR
This forum is sponsored by
UNO Synth

UNO Synth analog synthesizer - IK Multimedia's entry in the hardware synthesizer world. We're proud to bring you a new hardware synth with a full-analog audio path providing massive analog sound that's also easy to use, with hands-on programmability and advanced features at an unbeatable price.

Read more at www.ikmultimedia.com
saxer
KVRist

49 posts since 30 Dec, 2007, from Frankfurt/Germany

Postby saxer; Sun May 13, 2018 2:29 am Re: Roland Boutique SE-02 ... (actual analog. roland brand, studio electronics build)

Hi folks,

how do I set the SE-02 to local off?

My eyes are getting old and the font size on these manual slip is sooo tiny!

Any help where to find it?

Thanks,

Saxer
Saxplayer, LogicUser, loves and makes Jazz/Chill/Latin/Filmmusic, House...
Stupid American Pig
KVRAF

7033 posts since 25 Nov, 2002, from not sure

Postby Stupid American Pig; Mon May 14, 2018 4:11 am Re: Roland Boutique SE-02 ... (actual analog. roland brand, studio electronics build)

Btw there’s now vst au controllers available for the se-02 and almost all of the boutiques. They are only a couple of quid a piece and are mostly solid. I notice a lag here and there bug they’re generally very good. I believe they’re made with JUCE as well.

Browse around and you will see more editors. I have the se-02, sh01a, Jp08, and the tr8. I’ve not tried the jp-08 or the-8 one yet but sh/se both worked as advertised.
https://se-02-midi-editor.jimdo.com/
BONES
GRRRRRRR!

6857 posts since 13 Jun, 2001, from Somewhere else, on principle

Postby BONES; Mon May 14, 2018 7:30 pm Re: Roland Boutique SE-02 ... (actual analog. roland brand, studio electronics build)

I've had third party VST editors for several of my hardware synths and they have all been absolute rubbish. I don't know that I'd bother again.

It's also interesting that this, like so many new products, gets pages and pages of posts, right up to the time when we can all get our hands on it, then nothing.
NOVAkILL 3.0 : Surface Pro 2 (Core i5, Win10), Zoom U24, Orion 64 bit, Maschine Mikro, Elektron Analog Keys, Ultranova, Rocket, Seaboard Rise 25
perpetual3
KVRist

191 posts since 28 Sep, 2012

Postby perpetual3; Mon May 14, 2018 7:36 pm Re: Roland Boutique SE-02 ... (actual analog. roland brand, studio electronics build)

BONES wrote:
It's also interesting that this, like so many new products, gets pages and pages of posts, right up to the time when we can all get our hands on it, then nothing.

Ha! So true.
Uncle E
KVRAF

9917 posts since 21 Nov, 2000, from Southern California

Postby Uncle E; Mon May 14, 2018 9:39 pm Re: Roland Boutique SE-02 ... (actual analog. roland brand, studio electronics build)

BONES wrote:It's also interesting that this, like so many new products, gets pages and pages of posts, right up to the time when we can all get our hands on it, then nothing.

Maybe all the micro cables killed instant gratification. ;)
BONES
GRRRRRRR!

Postby BONES; Tue May 15, 2018 6:43 pm Re: Roland Boutique SE-02 ... (actual analog. roland brand, studio electronics build)

Hopefully it means everyone is too busy having fun with it to be bothered posting any more. Although I prefer to write about things after I've had a chance to use them and the more they excite me, the more I want to tell everyone about it.
NOVAkILL 3.0 : Surface Pro 2 (Core i5, Win10), Zoom U24, Orion 64 bit, Maschine Mikro, Elektron Analog Keys, Ultranova, Rocket, Seaboard Rise 25
Stupid American Pig
KVRAF

Postby Stupid American Pig; Thu May 17, 2018 4:04 am Re: Roland Boutique SE-02 ... (actual analog. roland brand, studio electronics build)

My opinion of the se-02 is that it sounds amazing but the knobs kill the joy of programming it I’m half tempted to build a breakout box with proper knobs for it...

Sounds is great, nice and powerful with lots of bass. Does the Moog sound and some not so Moog sound too. If it were 100-200 bucks cheaper I would persue poly chaining but at its current price point I would just get another poly.
transmetropolitan
KVRist

277 posts since 24 Nov, 2014

Postby transmetropolitan; Thu May 17, 2018 5:50 am Re: Roland Boutique SE-02 ... (actual analog. roland brand, studio electronics build)

Stupid American Pig wrote:My opinion of the se-02 is that it sounds amazing but the knobs kill the joy of programming it...

This sums up my view on it too.

I loved the concept until I saw one in person - unfortunately the form factor doesn't really work for me.

I would still have got one, probably, but the Model D provides a lot of what I want from this but in a better format.
BONES
GRRRRRRR!

Postby BONES; Thu May 17, 2018 5:08 pm Re: Roland Boutique SE-02 ... (actual analog. roland brand, studio electronics build)

I had the same problem with the JP-08. Its sliders are tiny, which makes them hard to use and even harder to get exactly the right setting.. The JU-06 has about the right number of parameters to fit in that size box but anything with more controls than that gets hard to work with.
Stupid American Pig
KVRAF

Postby Stupid American Pig; Thu May 17, 2018 6:53 pm Re: Roland Boutique SE-02 ... (actual analog. roland brand, studio electronics build)

BONES wrote:I had the same problem with the JP-08. Its sliders are tiny, which makes them hard to use and even harder to get exactly the right setting.. The JU-06 has about the right number of parameters to fit in that size box but anything with more controls than that gets hard to work with.

Agreed. I’ve an sh01a and it also seems to have the right control to form factor count but I stopped using my jp-08 and realize that I just ended up buying the one boutique synth that didn’t appreciate in value. :hihi:
sin night
KVRian

1133 posts since 1 Aug, 2006, from Italy

Postby sin night; Sat May 19, 2018 2:06 pm Re: Roland Boutique SE-02 ... (actual analog. roland brand, studio electronics build)

Stupid American Pig wrote:My opinion of the se-02 is that it sounds amazing but the knobs kill the joy of programming it

I agree. I bought one, but I didn't really use it untill the editor came out... As a partial justification, I also bought other items in the meantime, but yeah, the panel is tiny.
I even thought about bringing back my old BCR2000 to control it (I would, if I had the space for it in my small room).
BONES
GRRRRRRR!

Postby BONES; Sat May 19, 2018 4:50 pm Re: Roland Boutique SE-02 ... (actual analog. roland brand, studio electronics build)

You'd feel like a bit of an idiot, though, wouldn't you? To have a hardware synth with one knob per parameter and still feel you need a MIDI controller to make it usable.
NEOREV
KVRist

239 posts since 27 Jun, 2008, from New York, NY, USA

Postby NEOREV; Sun May 20, 2018 8:22 pm Re: Roland Boutique SE-02 ... (actual analog. roland brand, studio electronics build)

I have no problem with the SE-02's knob size and I got decent sized hands. I love this synth. Can they be bigger? Sure. But definitely not a deal breaker. This synth packs a punch and easy to bring around. I can chill out in my bed at night with it sitting on my lap and have my headphones on and create some awesome sounds with my girl asleep next to me. When I'm ready to use the sounds, I can hook it right up to my home studio easily thru the MX-1's Aira port and load up the sounds I made the night before. Love the cross mod section and now its got PWM on top of that. A massive little synth.
himalaya
KVRAF

4673 posts since 23 Mar, 2006, from pendeLondonmonium

Postby himalaya; Mon May 21, 2018 7:24 am Re: Roland Boutique SE-02 ... (actual analog. roland brand, studio electronics build)

For people who like the sound of this synth but hate its knobs, save up for a SE Boomstar 5089. It's Minimoog 'inspired' with the authentic sound that can shake walls...with knobs that are just right.

Both synths are made by Studio Electronics...
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
transmetropolitan
KVRist

277 posts since 24 Nov, 2014

Postby transmetropolitan; Mon May 21, 2018 7:47 am Re: Roland Boutique SE-02 ... (actual analog. roland brand, studio electronics build)

Boomstar 5089 is awesome but has 2 oscs and is also nearly three times the price of Behringer Model D.

From what I've seen/heard of D so far there's no sonic reason to go elsewhere,it's really hard to beat from vfm perspective.
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Hardware (Instruments and Effects)