Ribs

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hmmmm.....im obviously doing something wrong here.

what im doing:

1. add some audio ( for this lets say its a sample)

2. add ribs to the mixer as an effect

3. rout the sample to the mixer channel with ribs on it.

4. add a midi out to ribs and set ribs to "notes"

what is happening:

i play the sample....as expected no audio happens until i press some keys on the midi out to ribs.

what is unexpected...it seems as though ribs makes the exact same sound no matter what my audio source is. be it samples...or audio from a synth...everything sounds the same.

so clearly im doing something wrong here...but what?
ImageImageImage

chaosWyrM wrote:it seems as though ribs makes the exact same sound no matter what my audio source is. be it samples...or audio from a synth...everything sounds the same.
Do you mean that the output of Ribs is the same as if you just play the sample without it?
Or that after routing another audio to Ribs the buffer contents don't change?

Impressive sounds and very nice design, love it!
Mac AU/VST would be greatly appreciated. :wink:

statue wrote: Mac AU/VST would be greatly appreciated. :wink:
:tu: + 1 :!:
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Man, super exciting, this! Delicious demo sounds, and even the interface is sexy.

My only hope is that by "I'm planning to add better filter models and conventional sound loading in the future updates," you mean being able to drag/load a sample and then play Ribs like an instrument, with a MIDI Keyboard. Is that correct? All the same, the way it works now is pretty clever and useful, if not altogter intuitive.

I haven't dug super deep yet so maybe it's there already, but one feature I'd love to see in this is 'back and forth looping' (for lack of a better term). So the buffer would cycle between playing forward and then backward instead of only forward. This would allow for very smooth loops without any clicking when it repeats. Ideally we could also control how fast the sample changes direction when reaching the end/start, for tape stop/reverse type effects.

Thanks so much for providing this excellent tool!

1eqinfinity wrote:
chaosWyrM wrote:it seems as though ribs makes the exact same sound no matter what my audio source is. be it samples...or audio from a synth...everything sounds the same.
Do you mean that the output of Ribs is the same as if you just play the sample without it?
Or that after routing another audio to Ribs the buffer contents don't change?
no no...the output is not as if im not using ribs at all.

its more the second one...but its not just that the buffer contents dont change...its that even if i make a new instance with a different sample entirely or even audio from a synth...it still sounds the same. the audio source seems to have no bearing on the sound i get from ribs.

i really dont know what im doing wrong....but all i seem to be able to get from ribs is screeching and buzzing. the mix knob is working fine....if i turn it down i get the audio im running through it.

im positive this is my own stupidity, so...chalk this up to user error...ill wait for a detailed manual/video.
ImageImageImage

chaosWyrM wrote: i really dont know what im doing wrong....but all i seem to be able to get from ribs is screeching and buzzing. the mix knob is working fine....if i turn it down i get the audio im running through it.

im positive this is my own stupidity, so...chalk this up to user error...ill wait for a detailed manual/video.
Don't be so hard on yourself, it's not the most intuitive instrument :) It's hard to diagnose like this, but screeching and buzzing may appear in any of these cases:
- turn up the "err" knobs to the right of the waveform tabs,
- select a very short section of the sound (by right click and drag on the waveform)
- set the playback speed close to zero or to max
- turn up agc params too high (on the bottom left)
- play very high MIDI notes
- use very big denumerators in base len / beat ratios (in the middle left)
- turn up the gap probability (the grey stripe on top)
- turn filter resonance to max

Otherwise I don't know yet, but if it's a bug, it better be fixed. I'm already working on the tutorial, please wait for it and see if it helps to solve the problem.
Last edited by 1eqinfinity on Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

foxAsteria wrote:one feature I'd love to see in this is 'back and forth looping'
Thanks! Maybe the "W" button on the right is what you're looking for.
Last edited by 1eqinfinity on Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A small manual would be very helpfull Does make some interesting sound from vsti sources.

youtube vid?

I'm working on a tutorial video. I hope to release it in a couple of days.

look forward to it, thanks

i would love for a MAC AU version Plz

+1 for a linux build, 32-bit as well. ;)

brian
Tired of Windows? Linux offers hundreds of good distros. For more info:
DistroWatch
Some good synths for linux: www.linuxsynths.com

1eqinfinity привет, ты по русски говоришь ?

Return to “Instruments”