Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise

How Do I Trigger/Sequence?

jonasnymose
KVRist

41 posts since 11 Dec, 2016

Postby jonasnymose; Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:33 am How Do I Trigger/Sequence?

Hey KVR Forum members.

I'm considering making a very simple bass drum rack. I'll probably gonna buy the 'Tip Top Audio BD909' module, but I'm completely new to modular. How do I trigger/sequence the bass drum? And how would I make it sync with the bpm in my daw? What's the most affordable and simplest way to do so?

Thanks in advance.
Jonas
annode
KVRAF

5982 posts since 28 Mar, 2003, from Location: Location

Postby annode; Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:26 am Re: How Do I Trigger/Sequence?

I don't have modular equipment but this might get you going;
Silent Way Trigger is a simple plug-in for generating a gate or envelope in response to an incoming MIDI note. A typical application would be for triggering drum sounds, where you might have a number of different sounds mapped to different notes.

http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/silentway.html
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x
VariKusBrainZ
KVRAF

6599 posts since 16 Dec, 2002

Postby VariKusBrainZ; Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:30 am Re: How Do I Trigger/Sequence?

You can use anything that sends a pulse basically, at its most basic a square/pulse LFO will do.

Or get a midi to CV module if you want to integrate with your DAW.
Doepfer 2nd hand ones for for around £50

Depending on your DAW and soundcard you might be able to send an audio trigger signal that way
The future is yesterday
jonasnymose
KVRist

Postby jonasnymose; Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:08 am Re: How Do I Trigger/Sequence?

Thanks a lot for your help.
I'm also considering a 2nd hand 'Arturia Beatstep' to do the job. But I'm not sure. What I want to do is record the BD909 as audio into my daw synced to the bpm. At this moment I just want to record the sounds in one by one alongside the already recorded audio from other hardware inside my daw but as affordable as possible.
I'll look into that 2nd hand Doepfer module!
VariKusBrainZ
KVRAF

6599 posts since 16 Dec, 2002

Postby VariKusBrainZ; Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:40 am Re: How Do I Trigger/Sequence?

I assume you know you also need a power supply, you can get away with making a case, if youre doing this on the cheap.

A 2nd hand Korg SQ-1 sequencer might also be a cheap option for usb midi to CV trigger.

The Doepfer A-190-3 is probably the cheapest midi to CV gate module and it has USB too.
Dopefer modules usually go pretty cheap 2nd hand, though having just done a quick search on ebay the 2nd hand price of this one seems to have gone up.
Maybe I was lucky!
The future is yesterday
RichieWitch
KVRist

423 posts since 15 Jun, 2015

Postby RichieWitch; Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:30 pm Re: How Do I Trigger/Sequence?

The Beatstep is a pretty good choice for what you want to do. It will give you both the clock signal and trigger the drum with whatever pattern you want. No MIDI-to-CV module needed because the Beatstep has both gate and CV outputs. I had one for awhile as the main controller/sequencer for my Eurorack.

If you're DAW allows external sync, I would use the Beatstep as the master clock, and slave the DAW to that. It will be more stable than clock-over-USB from a DAW.
jonasnymose
KVRist

Postby jonasnymose; Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:51 pm Re: How Do I Trigger/Sequence?

Okay thanks a lot. Do I need a power switch?
And how the h*** do I connect the module to my audio interface? I can't really get my head around this. I know how to connect my Bass Station II though. My interface is an Audient ID14 and doesn't have midi i/o. I just want to record the audio in.
deastman
KVRAF

6318 posts since 6 Aug, 2003, from San Francisco Bay Area

Postby deastman; Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:01 am Re: How Do I Trigger/Sequence?

It seems to me that you don't really want to go this direction. The BD909 module isn't going to give you some magic special sauce which merits building a modular system for that one purpose. You're going to need an enclosure with a power supply, you'll need some means of triggering the drum module, and you'll need another module for controlling the output level. You're probably looking at $500-1000 already, and just to get a kick drum sound? It doesn't make any sense!
Incomplete list of my gear: 110V AC to 12V DC 1.5A power supply (+ tip)
pljones
KVRAF

5939 posts since 8 Feb, 2003, from London, UK

Postby pljones; Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:55 am Re: How Do I Trigger/Sequence?

Plus lower noise power, cables and A/D converters than how ever many people have already sampled this and published it, if you're trying to improve on those...
RichieWitch
KVRist

423 posts since 15 Jun, 2015

Postby RichieWitch; Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:21 am Re: How Do I Trigger/Sequence?

Deastman brings up a good point. Even if you buy the Beatstep used and buy the cheapest possible power supply and an output attenuator, you're going to spend over $400 for a kick drum. Here's how I would price it out:

Happy Ending kit (power supply and frame) - $160
BD909 module - $180
2 hp Trim (passive attenuator module to interface between the BD909 and your audio interface) - $35
Aurturia Beatstep (used on eBay) - $40

For the same money, you could buy an Arturia DrumBrute and have a full-featured drum machine with 17 different drums and a built-in sequencer.

I'm a big modular synth fan, but what you're planning doesn't make a lot of sense to me unless this is the start of something much bigger for you. But that's a whole different rabbit hole...
jonasnymose
KVRist

Postby jonasnymose; Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:08 pm Re: How Do I Trigger/Sequence?

I wanted to have more control over my kicks and be more intuitive while creating them compared to searching through samples for many boring minutes. But yeah I quickly realised how expensive it would be for "just" a kick drum. So I've decided to safe the modular stuff for later and start with the more important hardware instruments for now since I'm still new to that. Then When I've gotten most of the stuff I wanted I will probably save up for some eurorack. I also think that I might get more out of it in the end if I created the kick drums from scratch instead of using a dedicated module like this guy showed:

https://youtu.be/gqh8mB4pDoU

I really love those kicks he could get out of it

I couldn't find any dedicated bass drum synth out there that resonated well with me, that's why I thought that going modular might've been better. But maybe not. I'll look a bit into beatstep pro.

Thank you for your help.
annode
KVRAF

5982 posts since 28 Mar, 2003, from Location: Location

Postby annode; Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:59 pm Re: How Do I Trigger/Sequence?

....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x
deastman
KVRAF

6318 posts since 6 Aug, 2003, from San Francisco Bay Area

Postby deastman; Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:12 pm Re: How Do I Trigger/Sequence?

Check out d16 Punchbox. People either hate it love it. I happen to love it!
http://d16.pl/punchbox

If you really want to synthesize them from scratch, look for a synth plugin with flexible envelopes. Having precise control over the curve of your pitch, filter, and vca sweeps is the most important factor in crafting your perfect kick.
Incomplete list of my gear: 110V AC to 12V DC 1.5A power supply (+ tip)
jonasnymose
KVRist

Postby jonasnymose; Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:11 am Re: How Do I Trigger/Sequence?

I've used both Punchbox, Kick 2, Bassizm and even Revolution to do kick drum. But none of them felt right and intuitive enough for me, not even with a midi controller. I'd rather just go to my sample collection and look for a nice kick. I just want more hands on control. I prefer anolog in most cases. It sounds and feels more right to me. I've considered Jomox Xbase 11, but most demonstrations and samples I have from wave Alchemy has this weird and unpleasant click. I think it comes from the 'Metnize'. But of course I could choose not to use that. I just wish there where some more demonstrations without that click and I'm not sure there's enough hands on parameters for me to adjust. But maybe it's not that bad. I can't try it in my local music store. I tried Volca Kick and it doesn't sound right enough either.

Thanks for your help. I've decided to not take the modular route yet :)

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Modular Synthesis