Alone in the Crowd

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://soundcloud.com/chameleon-music/ ... -the-crowd

Written as part of the Cities and Memory 'Politics and Protest' project.
Launches August 7th 2017: citiesandmemory.com

A simple little piece based on a field recording from a political protest march in Paris 2015.

I absolutely loved the original recording by Ben Gale and wanted to highlight it’s qualities as much as possible in my remix – one of the reasons why you will hear it at the beginning and end of my piece with no editing whatsoever!

This composition was inspired by my own experiences on various protest marches over the years and my ability to almost completely shutdown external stimuli; to be ALONE IN THE CROWD. It’s a defence mechanism really, but at times almost spiritual – an ‘out of crowd’ experience! I don’t enjoy large gatherings that much at all and I think my brain simply needs time-out from the revelry!

• My piece starts with Ben’s field recording in its raw state.
• Slowly the sounds of protest morph, warp and fade into the background.
• They continue to ebb and flow, almost like a living breathing creature, but always slightly distant / faded.
• A simply, dissonant piano motif represents me in the middle of the throng. A choir theme adds that little edge of spirituality!
• The piano and choir fade away. Slowly the sounds of protest re-enter my consciousness and I rejoin the masses.

Warped Sounds of Protest – Reaktor 6 (Metaphysical Function with 14 layers of automation)
Piano – Kontakt 5 (‘Giant’ piano module)
Voices – Omnisphere (Boys Choir)

I liked the way the original recording is swallowed by the processed sounds, like the blurring of sensation as the anaesthetic kicks in. During the middle section the original audio becomes obscured by the piano and choir, and the overall effect here was quite startling and sinister, particularly the piano bass notes. This was a very immersive piece of entertainment.

Good work :)

Thanks for the feedback Tim.

'anaesthetic kicks in'...I like that phrase ..perfect!

'startling and sinister' - yes...I seriously don't like big crowds! :0)

'immersive' - this was a very simple piece in many ways and the core idea was very much to grab the listener and pull them into that crowd!

Very nice stuff!

Quite foreboding stuff, sounds like its straight out of a movie or documentary.
:borg:

Neat composition.

Makes me envision a scene in a film (that only exists in my head, but also probably actually exists in the real world somewhere) wherein the protagonist is struggling to deal with overstimulation from the noise and chaos of protests in an urban environment. To cope with the stimuli, the protagonist's grip on the real world fades away to be replaced by a feverish hallucination (with film score), which eventually slowly fades away again as the protagonist comes back to reality (rudely, by way of those people making annoying vocal noises).

As a person who hates noise, crowds, and busy urban environments, I can relate. I'm all for protests, I just don't function well in such environments.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

@VORT3X:
Thanks for that...I get the documentary idea...so much detail and clarity in that original field recording is part of it, I think.

@Jace-BeOS:

You've so totally got inside my intentions with your comments...I actually saw a very similar visual in my head when composing the initial ideas!:0) Thanks for all that.

"As a person who hates noise, crowds, and busy urban environments, I can relate. I'm all for protests, I just don't function well in such environments."

- Me too! :0)

Expertly done! The protest, piano, and choir are mixed seamlessly. The warping of the protest recording through Reaktor is effective and surprisingly listenable. The generous use of reverb works perfectly here too. Perhaps the piano theme could have been developed a bit more?

You can hear a lot of protests like this in New York City. Sometimes I wander into one and can't escape. :-o

An original piece. Good stuff. :tu:

Thanks Frantz.

"The generous use of reverb works perfectly here too" - on the protest recording, the reverb is quite wet at times, but it is heavily automated and actually fades away to totally dry at times as well...probably why the generous moments are acceptable.

"Perhaps the piano theme could have been developed a bit more? " I tried this at length and simply couldn't make it work...finally announcing internally that the piece didn't require a more developed theme! :0) Of course this may well be a fiendishly clever way of covering up a composing 'brick wall' moment!

Great blending of the crowd and the music.
It certainly gives a great sense of a crowd with all the competing sounds. Not keen on crowds myself either.
"continue to ebb and flow, almost like a living breathing creature" - It's on the verge of swamping us.
Very clever.
The image is great!
Well done.
:)
Bandcamp
Music with progressive intent.

Thanks John.

'a great sense of a crowd' + 'on the verge of swamping us'

Definitely 2 images I was trying to create...glad you got them from the piece.

Return to “Music Cafe”