VCV Rack

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
killmaster
KVRian
1118 posts since 5 Oct, 2003

Post Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:09 pm

Forgotten wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:30 pm
killmaster wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:43 am
V. 1.1.2 crashes and won't open in Mac OSX 10.14.5. Anyone else having this issue?
Sign up for the forum on the VCV site - I think there are a couple of other people posted something like this.
Thanks!

lnikj
KVRAF
2109 posts since 23 May, 2005 from the North Cornwall coast

Re: VCV Rack

Post Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:47 pm

killmaster wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:43 am
V. 1.1.2 crashes and won't open in Mac OSX 10.14.5. Anyone else having this issue?
Fixed in 1.1.3.

overhishead
KVRist
320 posts since 21 Jan, 2007

Post Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:17 am

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:26 pm
overhishead wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:29 am
I'm trying to open a VCV patch and it says that 4 of the modules aren't found but they are in my user modules folder. The VCV patch I downloaded is here:https://patchstorage.com/lets-build-a-g ... -vcv-rack/

Any idea why VCV would report so many missing modules that are already installed?
Two things:

1. VultModules and VultModulesFree (for example) have a lot of the same modules between both sets. However, if a preset was created in VoltModulesFree, VCV Rack doesn't see it by default if you only have the regular VultModules installed. You could either install the missing plugin pack, or manually edit the preset file in something like Notepad++ and change the "slug" so it can find them. This is also true if a developer modified the plugin name between the beta and final release.

Or...

2. Some of the 0.6.x versions of the VCV Rack plugins aren't able to read by VCV Rack 1.x. Again, by default. In many (but not all) instances, you can open the preset file in something like Notepad++, locate the module in question, and change the version number.

Unfortunately, 0.6x was basically a beta, and things have changed since then. As a result, old presets may take a little extra effort to get them working in the final release. The joys of using beta software...
The project was created in VCV 0.6.2b and I'm trying to open them in 1.1.3
These plugs aren't loading:

Dual Delay from MSM
Sssh from Southpole
squinkylabs-CHB from squinkylabs-plug1
ClockMultiplier from KlirrFactoryFree

Funkybot's Evil Twin
KVRAF
6568 posts since 16 Aug, 2006

Post Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:46 am

overhishead wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:17 am
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:26 pm
overhishead wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:29 am
I'm trying to open a VCV patch and it says that 4 of the modules aren't found but they are in my user modules folder. The VCV patch I downloaded is here:https://patchstorage.com/lets-build-a-g ... -vcv-rack/

Any idea why VCV would report so many missing modules that are already installed?
Two things:

1. VultModules and VultModulesFree (for example) have a lot of the same modules between both sets. However, if a preset was created in VoltModulesFree, VCV Rack doesn't see it by default if you only have the regular VultModules installed. You could either install the missing plugin pack, or manually edit the preset file in something like Notepad++ and change the "slug" so it can find them. This is also true if a developer modified the plugin name between the beta and final release.

Or...

2. Some of the 0.6.x versions of the VCV Rack plugins aren't able to read by VCV Rack 1.x. Again, by default. In many (but not all) instances, you can open the preset file in something like Notepad++, locate the module in question, and change the version number.

Unfortunately, 0.6x was basically a beta, and things have changed since then. As a result, old presets may take a little extra effort to get them working in the final release. The joys of using beta software...
The project was created in VCV 0.6.2b and I'm trying to open them in 1.1.3
These plugs aren't loading:

Dual Delay from MSM
Sssh from Southpole
squinkylabs-CHB from squinkylabs-plug1
ClockMultiplier from KlirrFactoryFree
Here's what you can do to try to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Create a blank rack, add those modules, save a new 1.x vsv preset using the 1.0 versions of those modules - you'll need this for reference
2. Open that new .vcv preset you just created in a text editor
3. You'll see a bunch of things that look like this...

Code: Select all

{
      "id": 16,
      "plugin": "cf",
      "version": "1.1.0",
      "model": "MASTER",
...that's what VCV Rack is using to identify the plugin and module. Find the new modules in the text.

4. Now, save a backup copy of your original 0.6.2 VCV preset - you'll want the original unmodified preset because we're going to want a version we can hack and tweak and you can mess them up
5. Now open a copy of your old VCV presets in a txt editor
6. Compare these 3 fields wtih the 0.6.2 preset with the same fields for the same modules in 1.0 preset

Code: Select all

"plugin": "[XXXX]",
      "version": "0.6.2",
      "model": "[XXX]",
7. Edit the information in your 0.6.2 preset and make it read the same as the 1.0. versions
8. Do that for all the 0.6.2 modules from that preset that don't open in 1.0
9. Save your modified 0.6.2 and open it in Rack

This will usually work, but other times it just doesn't. Give it a shot. If not, the two versions may not be compatible, which I think may have happened in some rare instances.

overhishead
KVRist
320 posts since 21 Jan, 2007

Post Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:46 am

that's a great idea, thanks

as it turns out there are plugins that don't work anymore in the current version.

Funkybot's Evil Twin
KVRAF
6568 posts since 16 Aug, 2006

Post Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:02 pm

overhishead wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:46 am
that's a great idea, thanks

as it turns out there are plugins that don't work anymore in the current version.
Yep, not everything has been converted yet. Some things won't apparently. Others have been picked up by someone else and rebranded (Apulzen became Repulzen). That said, I think there's over a thousand modules in 1.0 format already with more every week.

Spyart
KVRer
28 posts since 2 Aug, 2013

Post Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:24 am

SLiC
KVRAF
3802 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Post Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:57 am

@ around 3:30 - lovely sounding metallic toms!
i7 Win 10 PC+ Surface, BWS, StudioOne 4, Cubase10, Live9, X32 Desk. , DM12, P8, Virus TI, Syst1m, 500hp Eurorack, Elektron A4, RYTM, OT, Heat, Digitone, Deluge, MPC Live, OP-Z, Mother+DFAM, Drums, Guitars, Basses and Amps

Return to “Modular Synthesis”