How to Enable External Audio Input on Arturia's iMini

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've never used the External Input Volume knob in the iMini app, but got curious today. In short, I've failed. A couple questions to help me figure out why:

1) I assume "external input" means the iPad's built-in mic, but I don't know where to activate this mic going into iMini. Under Settings > iMini, I only see the option to turn on/off notifications, no mic. How do I do this?

2) Is it possible to route external audio into iMini from other apps using Audiobus 3 and use iMini as an effects processor? If so, I assume the External Input Volume knob would be involved... Could you explain how to enable this situation? iMini currently doesn't show up in my Audiobus 3's audio effects slot...

3) I see there's a halfway position for the on/off switch for external input - I've read this is to simulate feedback as on the original Minimoog. Interestingly, when I toggle the switch halfway and increase the external input volume, there is some effect on the sound despite having no external audio input (that I'm aware of). Why does this happen? Unfortunately, the effect sounds like total crap and isn't musical or pleasing in any way, so maybe I'm doing something wrong.

TL;DR: Any advice on how to configure the iMini app to receive external audio input appreciated. Thanks.
Last edited by themagicalkamja on Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

bump

bump #2

Don't know about the ipad version, but on the VST minimoog V there's a blue rocker switch to the left of the external input level knob. This switch needs to be all the way to the right - 3rd position. Maybe it's the same for you.

EDIT

I just checked a screenshot of the iMini. That switch is there. Second one from the top. Make sure it's on - to the right.

Finally, a response :) Thank you!

So yeah, I've def seen that switch. But what is supposed to happen when you turn it all the way to the right? For me, there's no effect that I'm aware of.

What I would have expected is that once you switch it to the right, any audio coming through the iPad's mic would be routed into the synth, but that doesn't happen for some reason. So I thought I'd just have to go into Settings > iMini to enable iMini to access the mic's input, but I don't see an option to do that. So now I'm out of ideas.

Not sure how much of that process translates to the VST version though...

Sorry, I don't have an ipad. I can only relate to my experience with the VST version.

One more thing. You need to press a key while audio is going through it in order to open the gate. Otherwise you won't hear anything. Also make sure the amp sustain level is up.

Yeah, I tried that. Switched all oscillators off, switched external input fully on and volume all the way up, held a key, but nothing. Then I tried the same arrangement with the oscillators all on, but still nothing.

I really think the problem is with routing the mic's output into the app. I just have no idea how to do that.

Final bump attempt... Can anyone with iMini experience help me out?

Return to “Instruments”