Cloud storage : what do you use?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
SparkySpark
KVRian
1263 posts since 30 Aug, 2004 from Skövde, Sweden

Post Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:45 am

Thanks! I believe Arq, BackBlaze and Cloudberry all can forward the data to a separate host (such as OneDrive). I think that would kill the sync on that host, which as far as backup goes is a good thing. :D

So I think it stands between such a combo and iDrive or Sync (which both can do all).

More opinions? It's scary how many believe only BackBlaze or only OneDrive or Google Drive can be enough. The terminology really fooled me too (online storage vs online backup). :scared:
Last edited by SparkySpark on Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Making music is a nine-to-five job:
From 9 PM to 5 AM.
Go MuLab!

Etienne1973
KVRist
291 posts since 8 Feb, 2013 from Switzerland

Re: Cloud storage : what do you use?

Post Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:54 am

SparkySpark wrote:I believe Arq, BackBlaze and Cloudberry all can forward the data to a separate host (such as OneDrive). I think that would kill the sync on that host, which as far as backup goes is a good thing. :D
What do you meant by that? Sorry, I can't follow. :oops:

Chemik
KVRist
200 posts since 18 Mar, 2003 from Jacksonville, FL

Post Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:00 am

I use an external HD for all song related file backups and dropbox to save the final or close to final versions of songs. For me, I adore dropbox as a collaboration platform. All of my projects get their own folders and the people I record with have access to their project folder.
Even I was offended by what I was going to put here.
ANNOUNCING NEW RELEASE! Trick in the Hat - Oh I Tried
Pet Shop Boys/New Wave inspired album for FREE!
Trick in the Hat at bandcamp

SparkySpark
KVRian

Post Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:03 am

Ok: Let's say I have a sync folder to OneDrive or so on my computer. My wife has the same setup and we also have auto uploads in our Android phones to the same folder via the OneDrive Android app.

Now my wife deletes a folder on her computer. It then becomes deleted on ALL other devices (say family photos).

That is the scenario I want to avoid. (THE same goes if you are a band and share recordings and DAW files online.)

The three services I mentioned above can auto-feed OneDrive etc with our computers' contents. I am thinking that could force the sync between the devices to go lost.

...if Not then maybe I should auto-feed to OneDrive and she to Google Drive. That would also take care of the sync deletion problem I think...
From 9 PM to 5 AM.
Go MuLab!

Etienne1973
KVRist

Post Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:12 am

SparkySpark wrote:Ok: Let's say I have a sync folder to OneDrive or so on my computer. My wife has the same setup and we also have auto uploads in our Android phones to the same folder via the OneDrive Android app.

Now my wife deletes a folder on her computer. It then becomes deleted on ALL other devices (say family photos).

That is the scenario I want to avoid. (THE same goes if you are a band and share recordings and DAW files online.)

The three services I mentioned above can auto-feed OneDrive etc with our computers' contents. I am thinking that could force the sync between the devices to go lost.

...if Not then maybe I should auto-feed to OneDrive and she to Google Drive. That would also take care of the sync deletion problem I think...
No. Arq is not a service. It does not delete on all devices. Same bucket but different store items. Your question perhaps: How you get your Android phones backup involved?

You could install Arq on your computer. (Auto) backup your computer and your 2nd computer as network computer.

el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF
10525 posts since 24 May, 2009 from A galaxy, far far away

Post Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:28 am

I made a separate os partition especially to run BackBlaze. It works like a Backblaze folder, and allows me to only back up what I need, rather than having to back up a whole 1tb drive for 200gig of data :tu:

SparkySpark
KVRian

Post Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:03 am

Etienne1973 wrote: No. Arq is not a service. It does not delete on all devices. Same bucket but different store items. Your question perhaps: How you get your Android phones backup involved?

You could install Arq on your computer. (Auto) backup your computer and your 2nd computer as network computer.
Thanks! Perhaps our terminology differs but it is actually a service I think, in that it is just software routing my data to a separate host (ie they don't store my data).

"Cloud Choice

You can back up to your own Amazon Cloud Drive, Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud Storage, Google Drive, Dropbox, or OneDrive accounts, or your SFTP server or NAS. Use that extra space in your existing cloud account to store your encrypted backups."

Hmmm... Perhaps you were just answering my question re what happens on OneDrive OveRdrive when using Arq?
From 9 PM to 5 AM.
Go MuLab!

SparkySpark
KVRian

Post Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:07 am

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:I made a separate os partition especially to run BackBlaze. It works like a Backblaze folder, and allows me to only back up what I need, rather than having to back up a whole 1tb drive for 200gig of data :tu:
Thanks! So I take it you drag in stuff you want copied? That is what I did until now, realizing that some rather precious files were missed by me. :(

...or did you mean something else?
Thanks again (to all trying to sort this out).
From 9 PM to 5 AM.
Go MuLab!

chk071
KVRAF
17022 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:09 am

SparkySpark wrote:Ok: Let's say I have a sync folder to OneDrive or so on my computer. My wife has the same setup and we also have auto uploads in our Android phones to the same folder via the OneDrive Android app.

I'm afraid you have a wrong idea of what "syncing" means then. Think about it: What happens when you synchronize something? You match something. It is no matching, when a folder is different on every device. You seem to be looking for something else really. Mirroring. Actually, one-sided mirroring. That's not what clouds do though.

Etienne1973
KVRist

Post Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:12 am

SparkySpark wrote:
Etienne1973 wrote:You could install Arq on your computer. (Auto) backup your computer and your 2nd computer as network computer.
Thanks! Perhaps our terminology differs but it is actually a service I think, in that it is just software routing my data to a separate host (ie they don't store my data).
Yes, exactly. Arq routes your data to cloud service of choice. But the task is much easier with Arq.
SparkySpark wrote:Hmmm... Perhaps you were just answering my question re what happens on OneDrive OveRdrive when using Arq?
You're looking for a backup solution, right? Not a cloud service which syncs devices and deletes a file on all devices when the file was deleted on one device, right?

el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF

Post Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:25 am

SparkySpark wrote:Thanks! So I take it you drag in stuff you want copied? That is what I did until now, realizing that some rather precious files were missed by me. :(
Indeed! Just drag it on to the other partition, boot into it, back up, and then leave

I never trust anything that is important to me to be auto-anything'd :scared:

SparkySpark
KVRian

Post Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:29 am

Yes Etienne, this is exactly what I look for:

1. I produce a file on my computer.
2. It gets automatically backed up on the cloud.
3. My SSD breaks down but I can get all data back from the cloud.

...and if I accidentally were to delete a file or folder on the cloud solution, the file won't disappear from my or my wife's computers.

...and if I happen to leave my computer at home but want to retrieve a file (say a pptx for a presentation) then I should be able to download it from a web browser.

Well, that's it I guess! :wink:
From 9 PM to 5 AM.
Go MuLab!

SparkySpark
KVRian

Post Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:30 am

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:
SparkySpark wrote:Thanks! So I take it you drag in stuff you want copied? That is what I did until now, realizing that some rather precious files were missed by me. :(
Indeed! Just drag it on to the other partition, boot into it, back up, and then leave

Hmmm... are they that shaky? I never trust myself. :(
From 9 PM to 5 AM.
Go MuLab!

SparkySpark
KVRian

Post Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:36 am

chk071 wrote: I'm afraid you have a wrong idea of what "syncing" means then. Think about it: What happens when you synchronize something? You match something. It is no matching, when a folder is different on every device. You seem to be looking for something else really. Mirroring. Actually, one-sided mirroring. That's not what clouds do though.
Thanks for joining! Well I wouldn't call it mirroring really (that is essentially what BackBlaze does).

Think of it as throwing stones in a lake. :) I throw one stone in. I throw another stone in. And they stay there until I explicitly do something with them. :D
From 9 PM to 5 AM.
Go MuLab!

el-bo (formerly ebow)
KVRAF

Post Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:39 am

SparkySpark wrote:
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:

are they that shaky?
I wouldn't know, because I'm not willing to take the risk of finding out :shrug:

My use of the cloud is an adjunct to all the other backups I have in place (Multiple hard copies, over multiple drives; Some off-site, but in the same country, and some in another country)/

My compositions are the only things that I couldn't get back after a loss. I won't take any risks with them :tu:

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”