1954 Baldwin Parlor Grand available for UVI Workstation

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
1954 Baldwin Parlor Grand

I've just finished a sampled piano, and released it as 1954 Baldwin Parlor Grand for UVI Workstation. I've put together a free demo version of the piano you can download from my website - https://www.wholesounds.com/downloads/

I would love to get some feedback on the instrument! Check it out and let me know what you think.

The focus in sampling the piano was realism and authenticity - my aim was to get as close as I could to recreating the experience of a playing a piano I've known and loved playing for decades.

You can check out more at http://www.wholesounds.com

A few quickie samples below from three different mic perspectives, all dry....

close mics - https://static.kvraudio.com/files/3312/close_mics.mp3
mid mics - https://static.kvraudio.com/files/3312/mid_mics.mp3
far mics - https://static.kvraudio.com/files/3312/far_mics.mp3

I saw in your site 2 download links , still didnt download none of them , but both of them 3.2 gb.
Whats is the restrictions of the demo?

michaelbrac wrote:I saw in your site 2 download links , still didnt download none of them , but both of them 3.2 gb.
Whats is the restrictions of the demo?
it is written within the description of the Intrument 1954 Baldwin Parlor Grand page , very easy too see too read and understand . maybe you was too lazy to look ?
The demo and the full version are available for immediate download on our downloads page, but keep in mind that you'll need to have an I-lok account and purchase an authorization code to unlock the full version.

The demo version can be used immediately, with no restrictions. It has ALL the features of the full version, but a gentle chime will sound every 15 seconds to remind you that you're running the demo.

The sample demos sounds really good - congrats on the sample pack ! If it wasn't for my recent Pianoteq 6 upgrade I would've been definitely been over this.

I've been a Falcon owner for a while now - though almost entirely use it as a preset workstation, and then if I ever need to slightly tweak a patch then I delve in a bit deeper so was just wondering: Is there anything to stop naughty folks just removing that chime from the demo by tweaking the patch in Falcon ?

mcbpete - Falcon has a feature whereby you can lock the innards of the instrument so no editing can be done. Very handy for keeping those naughty hands out of the works!

And, yes, to michaelbrac, there is a "reminder tone" every 15 seconds or so in the demo. Other than that and the multi-out patch for the full version, there's no difference between full and demo.

wholesounds wrote:mcbpete - Falcon has a feature whereby you can lock the innards of the instrument so no editing can be done. Very handy for keeping those naughty hands out of the works!
Ah that's pretty cool, great that UVI supports 3rd party developers by allowing something like that :)

Yes, I've really liked working with UVI getting this project together. Looking forward to releasing more products through their platform.

ooh good to know and sadly i avoid buying more UVI based Librarys where you dont have access to the engine parameters that you can not even put in internal fx , wavetables , or some own scripts etc .

so i´m personal out

but anyway congratulations in general for this piano library

Thanks!

The idea behind restricting access to the interior of the instrument is that the user doesn't really need access to it. I'm presenting it as a piano, and I want it to behave as much like a piano as I can, so the internal fx have been restricted to certain parameters that I deemed more-or-less natural, and that's why those and only those specifically tailored fx have been scripted up front on the user interface.

A piano is a piano is a piano - maybe that's the best way to put it! So, no, you can't go in and add a synth layer here and there, or muck around with the samples.

That said, you can, of course, add any of Falcon's fx to the instrument's output. And, with the multi-out patch, you have a ton of flexibility in dealing with the different sounds coming off the thing in your DAW.

Wow, I really love the audio demos, soundwise. Great work! Very intimate natural wooden sound. Thank you especially for the possibility to demo the library. This is something most of the UVI libraries are lacking. I will test asap.

wholesounds wrote:Thanks!

The idea behind restricting access to the interior of the instrument is that the user doesn't really need access to it. I'm presenting it as a piano, and I want it to behave as much like a piano as I can, so the internal fx have been restricted to certain parameters that I deemed more-or-less natural, and that's why those and only those specifically tailored fx have been scripted up front on the user interface.

A piano is a piano is a piano - maybe that's the best way to put it! So, no, you can't go in and add a synth layer here and there, or muck around with the samples.

That said, you can, of course, add any of Falcon's fx to the instrument's output. And, with the multi-out patch, you have a ton of flexibility in dealing with the different sounds coming off the thing in your DAW.
for sure i can understand this from the developer view .

its just me who does not likes those restrictions .

At age 11, I made my first "computer" out of a cardboard box, colored cellophane windows, and a dishwasher timer hooked up to Christmas tree lights inside to make them go on and off at different times. It couldn't have been made if I hadn't busted things open that I shouldn't have messed with!

So, yes, I understand the impulse...

Congratulations, great library, it really sounds like a Baldwin... and I think this is the first sampled Baldwin !

Comparing it to the Ravenscroft and True American from VI-Labs : it sounds "warmer", less perfect and clinical, IMHO good for everyday use, pop songs, "vintage" styles...
It reminds me a bit of the Imperfect Samples Walnut and White Baby, but the Baldwin is brighter and have more attack.

Got to investigate the differents mics and mixes, the EQ...

No sympathetic resonance ? Maybe in a future update, if it sells well :) ?
Last edited by xabilon on Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

There actually is adjustable open string sympathetic resonance included in this version. It's called "sustain resonance", and you'll find it's control on the upper right quadrant of the interface - look for the wheel under the red felt!

The knob controls the amount of open string resonance you hear when the sustain pedal is depressed.

And, yes, this is a bright piano, especially with those Neumann KM84 mics inside, but you'll find you can temper it with the alternate mic positions and included eq. Sometimes I like a little LP filter on the close mics to soften it up a bit.

The interface, by the way, is built from a photo of the interior of the piano, so you are seeing the actual piano. Granted, the controls are a bit fanciful, but the background (at least) is the real deal.

:)

xabilon wrote:It reminds me a bit of the Imperfect Samples Walnut and White Baby, but the Baldwin is brighter and have more attack
Yeah, really reminded me of the Imperfect Samples pianos too :)

Return to “Instruments”