Dynamic Sequencing - Bitwig Tutorial

Official support for: bitwig.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Dynamic Sequencing is about getting as much information as possible into the chain to make it easily modifiable. To draw notes and expressions statically into the arranger is for me a thing of the past. The majority of the VST plugins advertise to bring "live" and "dirt" into the productions to make them more alive. With Bitwig you have the possibility to create a living sound right at the source. Look at the arranger as a relict of the past and use him as what he is, a slightly better recording device (kind of) and treat Bitwig with the chain and the launcher more like an actual instrument.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgCVXKZOSo8
Polarity Music (youtube) berlin, fhain, germany

Thank you for this. Well done as always.

L

Great tutorial. Been checking all of yours since i started getting into bitwig more.
This one made me realise one very cool trick is possible, which is a feature I'm missing from Ableton Live: the excellent swing extractions and feature that can be applied to audio AND MIDI clips.
The current Bitwig swing is still a bit too rigid for me and not all swings were created equal :)

If you use the step modulator on a note Echo device, with echo set to only tap once and gate to 100% of the received note (I assume it's this as I'm not familiar with the device at all).
Then adjust the delay time to the 20ms (unfortunately it cannot go to zero and only 10ms, but 20ms allows to push and pull notes 10ms around each hit), then you can generate custom swings, by modulating the delay time with the step modulators. Obviously you can also modulate note velocities in the same way.
Thankfully with 2.2 you can reverse the delay induced by the note echo with a Time Shift device by setting it to the negative value equal to the delay time !

The only downside here is that it only works with MIDI and not audio, as Time shift cannot be modulated, and the audio delay pitch up and down when modulating its delay speed.

Still a pretty handy one.

I attached a screenshot to illustrate the above.
Screen Shot 2017-10-22 at 17.52.53.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

thx for sharing and a good idea.
Polarity Music (youtube) berlin, fhain, germany

Great tutorial - I posted it to someone I know who still uses Live as an example of the power of Bitwig's modulators.

Return to “Bitwig”