Best DAW for Windows that supports MPE.

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
zerocrossing
KVRAF
9427 posts since 26 Jun, 2006 from San Francisco Bay Area

Post Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:16 pm

I’m done with Live. It’s served me well, but I’m really dependent on my Roli Rise and it’s pretty clear they just don’t care about supporting MPE controllers. Hell, they even filter out poly pressure. I had a little pact with myself, that if they didn’t add it in v10, I was out. So, I’m out.

The obvious choice seems to be Bitwig. I have Bitwig 8 Track, and it seems pretty good, but I’m wondering what others have found in the world of DAWs that they like more and why.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Echoes in the Attic
KVRAF
6482 posts since 12 May, 2008

Re: Best DAW for Windows that supports MPE.

Post Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:43 pm

Bitwig is decent - works perfectly with it's own synths and equator and strobe, also with falcon in polyphonic mode. It has problems with multi-channel midi because, well it doesn't do that. I still use it with Omnisphere with copied instruments over the different parts, but you should make each copy mono in that case so that it cuts off previous notes on that channel in case of multiple notes getting sent over the same channel (which happens if notes don't overlap since bitwig rotates channels on the fly and doesn't store the channel received). And bitwig claims to use VST3 note expression but doesn't in any useful way. Steinberg don't know what they are talking about.

Cubase seems like it works well because of Note expression and multi-channel midi, which you can convert MPE messages coming in to note expression. And it saves the midi channel received, unlike bitwig.
By all accounts Reaper seems to work well with MPE/multi-channel midi as well and stores the midi channel info.

What about Tracktion Waveform? Comes with Roli products so it might work well. I was just about to email Roli to figure out how to get Waveform as I have a seaboard block but haven't seen a download for it.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit. Once I have something clever, I will certainly fill it in.

pdxindy
KVRAF
15129 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:47 pm

Yeah... Bitwig, Cubase and Tracktion (Waveform) are the options I would look at

VariKusBrainZ
KVRAF
8739 posts since 16 Dec, 2002

Post Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:05 am

zerocrossing
KVRAF
9427 posts since 26 Jun, 2006 from San Francisco Bay Area

Post Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:29 am

Echoes in the Attic wrote:Bitwig is decent - works perfectly with it's own synths and equator and strobe, also with falcon in polyphonic mode. It has problems with multi-channel midi because, well it doesn't do that. I still use it with Omnisphere with copied instruments over the different parts, but you should make each copy mono in that case so that it cuts off previous notes on that channel in case of multiple notes getting sent over the same channel (which happens if notes don't overlap since bitwig rotates channels on the fly and doesn't store the channel received). And bitwig claims to use VST3 note expression but doesn't in any useful way. Steinberg don't know what they are talking about.

Cubase seems like it works well because of Note expression and multi-channel midi, which you can convert MPE messages coming in to note expression. And it saves the midi channel received, unlike bitwig.
By all accounts Reaper seems to work well with MPE/multi-channel midi as well and stores the midi channel info.

What about Tracktion Waveform? Comes with Roli products so it might work well. I was just about to email Roli to figure out how to get Waveform as I have a seaboard block but haven't seen a download for it.
Hm. Bitwig not dealing with multi-channel MIDI is a bit of a bummer.

I may be forced into Reaper for the sole reason that because of Ableton’s upgrade policy from 9 to 10, my 9 license is about as appealing as a piece of poop and I don’t think I can scare up the funds for an outright buy of one of the more expensive DAWs. Bitwig 8 Track has proven to be pretty useless due to it’s pretty paltry feature set, but at least it shows me that I can continue to work in more or less the same way that I have been.

Not being able to easily use Omnisphere is a bit of a bummer, but I’ve kind of decided that the Rise is really just married to MPE compatible software and hardware. It’s not a big heartache. Between the software that’s available now, my Micromonsta (now just getting MPE support. Haven’t tried it yet) and maybe adding a Modor NF-1M this Christmas, that should give me a lot to work with. I do still find that for a lot of sounds, I still gravitate to using a standard MIDI controller anyway because the Rise’s inability to do real aftertouch makes it awkward. I wish Roli Control would let you filter out pressure unti after a specified threshold.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

VariKusBrainZ
KVRAF

Post Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:36 am

Why not try Ableton and M4L, the links I posted were a hint ;)

BobDog
KVRian
572 posts since 2 Apr, 2015

Post Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:43 pm

VariKusBrainZ wrote:Why not try Ableton and M4L, the links I posted were a hint ;)
Could you please tell us how we would use that to control plugins?

BobDog
KVRian
572 posts since 2 Apr, 2015

Post Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:44 pm

zerocrossing wrote:I’m done with Live. It’s served me well, but I’m really dependent on my Roli Rise and it’s pretty clear they just don’t care about supporting MPE controllers. Hell, they even filter out poly pressure. I had a little pact with myself, that if they didn’t add it in v10, I was out. So, I’m out.

The obvious choice seems to be Bitwig. I have Bitwig 8 Track, and it seems pretty good, but I’m wondering what others have found in the world of DAWs that they like more and why.
Unfortunately bitwig is also not perfect with MPE, at least they tried though.

Logic and Cubase are your best bet.

Terrafractyl
KVRist
352 posts since 15 Nov, 2005 from Melbourne Australia

Post Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:51 pm

Yep. I too found the cubase implementation waaaay easier to work with than Bitwig.
And b gave me so many headaches with its midi routing. Why o why did they make it like that!
Kinda though I was done with cubase when bitwig 1 came out and i fell in love with many aspects. When b2 and c9 came out simultaneously plus I bought a roli keyboard it quickly became very obvious which to use for actual music making.
Hypnagog (Experimental Electronica) |
Terrafractyl (Psytrance) |Kinematic Records (Label)

VariKusBrainZ
KVRAF

Post Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:56 pm

BobDog wrote:
VariKusBrainZ wrote:Why not try Ableton and M4L, the links I posted were a hint ;)
M4L can load plugins

pdxindy
KVRAF

Post Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:07 pm

VariKusBrainZ wrote:
BobDog wrote:
M4L can load plugins
and that is useful for MPE how?

thejonsolo
KVRAF
2117 posts since 13 Apr, 2008 from Charleston, SC

Post Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:48 pm

Cubase.

VariKusBrainZ
KVRAF

Post Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:52 am

pdxindy wrote:
VariKusBrainZ wrote:
BobDog wrote:
M4L can load plugins
Did you check the links I posted above?
Working closely with ROLI, we at Cycling ’74 have released a huge content package focused on support for the Seaboard RISE as well as any other MIDI hardware that uses the MPE

pdxindy
KVRAF

Post Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:40 am

VariKusBrainZ wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
VariKusBrainZ wrote:
BobDog wrote:
M4L can load plugins
Working closely with ROLI, we at Cycling ’74 have released a huge content package focused on support for the Seaboard RISE as well as any other MIDI hardware that uses the MPE
I did... and I watched the videos, but there is little specific info there.

VariKusBrainZ
KVRAF

Post Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:01 am

pdxindy wrote:
VariKusBrainZ wrote:
pdxindy wrote:
VariKusBrainZ wrote:
BobDog wrote:
M4L can load plugins
I did... and I watched the videos, but there is little specific info there.
https://support.roli.com/article/max-tutorial-1

Obviously everything in this tutorial can be used in M4L

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”