[Progressive House] Kyrpto - A Thousand Miles

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here's a new song that I'm working on. Trying to get a better lead sound but not sure how.

https://soundcloud.com/kyrptomusic/a-th ... ed/s-xh8Mu

I'm not sure what you mean be a better lead sound. I hear a lot of repeated motifs on here, but no real "lead". Are you planning to add a synth playing a melody line on here? If you are, maybe you want a sound with more sustain and possibly some filter modulation during the sustain phase.
Last edited by seismic1 on Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Trying to get a better lead sound but not sure how."

I'm guessing that you mean the melody that comes in at around 30 seconds and then second one that enters at approximately 1 min 30 seconds? Like Tim, I wasn't sure as they don't stand out at the moment as melodies that 'lead' the piece...

To make them stand out more, layering is the answer for me. Most of my lead melodies involve 2 or more layers - in simple terms, one for the initial transients / attack and one that supports more the sustained note. At the moment the lead sounds in both cases are very short and slightly insubstantial - need more sustain.

One other point - kick drum entries...for me the 'pumping' is overdone...I know it's part of the House genre, but I find that it intrudes on the other sounds at the moment...I presume that you did it with a side chain? maybe pull it back just a touch?

accidental post to wrong thread :neutral:

seismic1 wrote:I'm not sure what you mean be a better lead sound. I hear a lot of repeated motifs on here, but no real "lead". Are you planning to add a synth playing a melody line on here? If you are, maybe you want a sound with more sustain and possibly some filter modulation during the sustain phase.
Yes the melody is what I'm referring to. Sometimes I have the bad habit of using them interchangeably :(
ChamMusic wrote:"Trying to get a better lead sound but not sure how."

I'm guessing that you mean the melody that comes in at around 30 seconds and then second one that enters at approximately 1 min 30 seconds? Like Tim, I wasn't sure as they don't stand out at the moment as melodies that 'lead' the piece...

To make them stand out more, layering is the answer for me. Most of my lead melodies involve 2 or more layers - in simple terms, one for the initial transients / attack and one that supports more the sustained note. At the moment the lead sounds in both cases are very short and slightly insubstantial - need more sustain.

One other point - kick drum entries...for me the 'pumping' is overdone...I know it's part of the House genre, but I find that it intrudes on the other sounds at the moment...I presume that you did it with a side chain? maybe pull it back just a touch?
Yes I do mean the "lead" that comes in around the 30 second mark. I'm trying to get it to sound like the lead in this song that comes in around the 26 second mark but not totally sure if it would fit my song.

https://soundcloud.com/leagueoflegends/ ... ed-time-mi

Thanks for the feedback guys! I will definitely be experimenting a lot with this song.

You're lead sound is NOT that far away from this one...

Yours is just to short, sharp and lacking in oomph at the moment...a second layer is definitely needed...

Again - something with more sustain and body...that one sounds like one of the layers might be based around Phase Distortion Synthesis, but I'm not totally sure!

It' s definitely saturated in effects - the delay is quite prominent.

One of the layers on that lead has a filter which is opened further and further as the song develops.

I think this sort of sound could work on your piece...happy experimenting!

ChamMusic wrote:You're lead sound is NOT that far away from this one...

Yours is just to short, sharp and lacking in oomph at the moment...a second layer is definitely needed...

Again - something with more sustain and body...that one sounds like one of the layers might be based around Phase Distortion Synthesis, but I'm not totally sure!

It' s definitely saturated in effects - the delay is quite prominent.

One of the layers on that lead has a filter which is opened further and further as the song develops.

I think this sort of sound could work on your piece...happy experimenting!
So I've been experimenting with adding another layer to the distorted lead and none of them sounds quite right. What would suggest for a second layer? A clean pluck sound?

"So I've been experimenting with adding another layer to the distorted lead"

What do you mean by 'distorted lead'...starting when in the piece?

ChamMusic wrote:"So I've been experimenting with adding another layer to the distorted lead"

What do you mean by 'distorted lead'...starting when in the piece?
Yes the one that starts at around the 0:30 mark.

"A clean pluck sound?"

Not for me, no!

The lead sound you have already is quite short, so...

I would layer it with something with more sustain and body...

A sound based around sawtooth or maybe even square waves?

Some sort of old school 1970s style analogue lead maybe....'Moog' esque?

Finally got around the layering it. How does it sound now? I hope I didn't make it worse.

https://soundcloud.com/kyrptomusic/a-th ... -2/s-cJAXM

The lead at 30 seconds in the updated mix sounds better than the original, but it doesn't have the presence and authority of the lead in the example track. What synth are you using. Maybe somebody here will be able to help you.

I agree with Tim...it's definitely better with the added sustain, but still lacks a certain presence and punch.

Kyrpto wrote: Yes I do mean the "lead" that comes in around the 30 second mark. I'm trying to get it to sound like the lead in this song that comes in around the 26 second mark but not totally sure if it would fit my song.

https://soundcloud.com/leagueoflegends/ ... ed-time-mi

Thanks for the feedback guys! I will definitely be experimenting a lot with this song.
what we have here is a big sonic blurr of loud sounds all fighting to be heard over each other.

i think A thousand miles(revised) sounds fine with perhaps a tad too much
compression pumping.
:phones:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

seismic1 wrote:The lead at 30 seconds in the updated mix sounds better than the original, but it doesn't have the presence and authority of the lead in the example track. What synth are you using. Maybe somebody here will be able to help you.
The main distorted lead is in massive. The layered 2nd lead is in Sylenth. I'm putting this track a hold for now as I feel it's a bit underdeveloped.

Return to “Music Cafe”