Toneboosters Barricade v4

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
Bodhisan
KVRist
475 posts since 7 Aug, 2015 from H2O

Post Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:32 am

My best "sound" purchase. I can't pretend to understand how it works, but it somehow magically knows how to push everything out so precisely and tightly, kicking out any muddiness. I did spend a lot of time demoing different "limiters," and for the money, this one just really stood out. Of course, my wife or anyone else who might hear my music would not be able to tell the difference between Barricade or Presswerk, PSP Vintage Warmer or the stock limiters in Logic, but...isn't that what most of the forum is about? Pleasing our discerning ears, as we listen for that slightest bit of "change" that takes us closer to perfection? There are a few other Tonebooster plugins that look interesting, as well, and I look forward to demoing those.

audiosabre
KVRian
1095 posts since 24 Jul, 2008 from England

Re: Toneboosters Barricade v4

Post Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:38 am

Have almost 100 compressors, but never got on with many limiter plugins. Elephant was the first I bought. Pro-L eventually replaced it as my master bus limiter. However, I picked up Barricade 4 earlier this year. Found myself using BarricadeCM a lot (over CPU hungry limiters) for individual tracks, so I naturally demoed v4. I had to have it.

To be frank, Barricade is the reason I'm not in a hurry to upgrade to Pro-L 2. I'm reaching for Barricade over Pro-L in evermore projects. Glad to have found such an inexpensive alternative. Not that cost was even a factor; it was my first choice out of half dozen "latest and greatest". The pricing is simply the cherry on top of the icing on the cake.

I'm a fan. Great plugin, great developer :tu:

kevvvvv
vvvvvvv
2226 posts since 24 Oct, 2000 from skelmersdale, west lancs, uk

Post Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:53 am

Barricade CM is at the end of my default track chain.

It just works. V clean.

Ventured out to try Venemode Maximal full version after liking the CM version.

Characterful when pushed hard, so gives an option to Barricade.

Keep thinking of getting Barricade full on version, but the CM version is so good.
Member 12, Studio One 4, Arturia 6, Avenger (Still top), Atom & Impact XT, Kontakt (loads), Spitfire Studio Strings, Session Strings Pro 2, Dune, Spire, Izotope Neutron 2 advanced (idiot version)

pixel85
KVRist
343 posts since 11 Apr, 2008

Post Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:07 am

Barricade is awesome and very underestimated. I like it more than most popular much more expensive alternatives. For example I don't like what Pro-L is doing at all.
If not at home then I'm working with different limiters like iZotope Ozone, Pro-L etc and I don't feel need to get any of these to my home studio because there's simply no reason to do that when I have Barricade.
But I'm not pushing limiter too hard, max. 2-3dB on very fast peaks so I don't have need for a limiter which sound good while constant limiting 5dB or more. Maybe it's where Ozone shine (Pro-L definitely not).
Barricade v4 have compressor+brickwall limiter (I use only limiter) + input modeler which include saturators and clippers (soft/hard) which is also very very useful + true peak mode + visual view. If you enjoy CM version then you'll love full version :)

TheKid
KVRian
783 posts since 13 Aug, 2012 from it's all about location!

Post Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:07 am

Totally love Barricade V4. Never looked anywhere else after the purchase.

RichieWitch
KVRian
531 posts since 15 Jun, 2015

Post Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:07 am

Have been through a half dozen limiters on my musical journey, found Barricade CM when they released it with Computer Music magazine, and used it on several tracks before being lured away by something else. Recently though, I still felt I wasn't getting the kind of transparency I wanted and downloaded a demo of Barricade v4. Yeah--it's exactly what I was looking for. I think it's improved over the CM version too and fairly inexpensive.

DrReacto
KVRist
101 posts since 21 Apr, 2016 from US

Post Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:30 pm

I agree that Toneboosters Barricade v4 is a 'sound' purchase. It has a great sound and the newest edition has a nice gui. I have found that I really like it as a track and buss limiter. I have other preferences for 2 buss/mastering but for mixing and sub groups it works better (for me) than my TC brick wall or Xenon. Both of which I like, but more for mastering duties rather than tracks and mixing.

I use Cubase so I would have appreciated their bus essential package moving to vst3. Because they are vst2 and side chaining is difficult with that format in Cubase, I haven't invested in their other products yet.

The Noodlist
KVRist
378 posts since 16 Aug, 2017 from UK

Post Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:37 pm

My go to.
Hardware emulation list. I don't really need anymore effects, I need to learn how to use those I already have.

Return to “Effects”