Escape from Utopia [psytrance]

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Progressive psy, 136 bpm. Tried to make something with dark cinematic feel.

https://soundcloud.com/recursion-loop/e ... rom-utopia
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

I don't think it's cinematic, but definitelly has nice dark feel to it :tu:
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote:I don't think it's cinematic
But it has the "big orchestral toms" in the intro! :cry:

Actually I have no idea what is cinematic and what isn't unless I hear it in a movie :)

Thanks for the feedback, mate, glad you like it!

Uploaded a new version - cleaned up the bass a bit, tweaked some synths.

(not that anybody cares but this may be an excuse to bump the thread :) )

I really enjoyed the track, especially considering that I have recently been drawn back to trance. The synth work is really good, especially if you are designing these yourself. The flow of the track and the arrangement seem in line with what I have come to expect from this genre.

My only feedback (I am going out on a limb here) is that a couple of the fx might be a touch loud, but with so much going on, I am sure it's just me.

Other than that, I gave it a like, really like what you did here :)

Thanks a lot for your comment, JKillz! Glad you liked it :)
JKillz wrote:The synth work is really good, especially if you are designing these yourself.
Mostly yes, I've used a preset for one of the vowel-like leads in the second half (cause it just sounded cool :party: ) and some of the more generic sounds like the trance plucks and some background pads are somehow tweaked/processed presets. Besides that, iirc all the main leads, stabs, textures, FXes etc I've made myself.
JKillz wrote:a couple of the fx might be a touch loud
Perhaps yes, I'm going to take a break from this track and then do some final touches to the mix.

Sound design is fantastic as JKillz says. I've always enjoyed psy, and this is right up my alley. A seamless trip with great evolution over the course of the song and never a dull moment.

Is there a trance (as opposed to tarnce) revival going on?

sjm wrote:Sound design is fantastic as JKillz says. I've always enjoyed psy, and this is right up my alley. A seamless trip with great evolution over the course of the song and never a dull moment.
Thanks, very happy to read that :)
sjm wrote: trance (as opposed to tarnce)
:tu: Good to know that people still see the difference
sjm wrote: Is there a trance (as opposed to tarnce) revival going on?
Hope so.

Been coming across a fair amount of actual trance stuff online, which is giving me the impression that some of the kids are getting interested in the older stuff. It seems have a wider appeal than just a bunch of old farts reminiscing about the old days...

sjm wrote:Been coming across a fair amount of actual trance stuff online, which is giving me the impression that some of the kids are getting interested in the older stuff.
Could you post some links/names? I'm always up for good trance (both psy and non-psy)

Btw, your song Transcendence is really nice :)

recursive one wrote:
sjm wrote:Been coming across a fair amount of actual trance stuff online, which is giving me the impression that some of the kids are getting interested in the older stuff.
Could you post some links/names? I'm always up for good trance (both psy and non-psy)
Ooh, that's a bit harder, because I'm terrible with names. I take it you've listened to the stuff being posted in the cafe, right? There's also been a slow increase in the amount of trance being posted on the IL forums. Also some interesting crossover stuff that has a sort of trance bent without strictly being trance. Off the top of my head, I quite enjoyed this:
https://soundcloud.com/sxop/breakingbedouin

And SC will sometimes take me to random things that sound great that I don't always bother liking.

I can trawl through my like son SC and see if I find anything worth sharing.
recursive one wrote: Btw, your song Transcendence is really nice :)
Hmm, even the tarnce bit? ;) Not sure it quite qualifies as trance, but I made that years ago when "trance" no longer meant what it used to. Ain't no bandwagon you won't find me jumping on...

Not convinced it's finished yet either. A good portion of the synths are made with Synth 1 btw. I think the remainder are stock FL plugins like SimSynth.

sjm wrote:
recursive one wrote: Btw, your song Transcendence is really nice :)
Hmm, even the tarnce bit? ;) Not sure it quite qualifies as trance, but I made that years ago when "trance" no longer meant what it used to. Ain't no bandwagon you won't find me jumping on...
I liked the last section the most (marked it by my comment on your SC). I was not so convinced by the first half, though there was nothing really wrong with it just a bit too generic sounding. If you could develop that last section into a full-blown trance track with it being the main theme I'd love to hear it.

That Sxop track it a bit too EDM sounding to my tastes, but it has quite nice melodies. Liked and followed :)

Yes, I've heard these trance tracks people posted here, I'm happy to find such music in the Cafe.

Btw, we could discuss new releases and general trance-related stuff here, would be more appropriate I think :)

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... e#p6669375

recursive one wrote:That Sxop track it a bit too EDM sounding to my tastes, but it has quite nice melodies. Liked and followed :)
Yeah, it's one of those that has a bit of a fusion going on.
recursive one wrote: Btw, we could discuss new releases and general trance-related stuff here, would be more appropriate I think :)

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... e#p6669375
I'll see if I can find some stuff worth sharing that's not from KVR and post in the topic you linked to (and maybe give you a subtle bump or PM so you have a heads up).

Return to “Music Cafe”